Racism is.......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
What the hell are you talking about?

I don't care about getting even. Whats done was done before I was even though of, I cannot change the past...but I'd be dumb not to acknowledge that whites had a huge part in the racial makeup of my family, it would be dumb to ignore the fact that my last name came from a white family, etc.

Saying slavery is overrated is like saying history is overrated.

So to be clear what you are saying is you are descended from racist slave owners :D

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
So to be clear what you are saying is you are descended from racist slave owners :D

No, that is not what I am saying. I have a lot of lighter skinned blacks in my family who are the grandchildren of blacks who part of a long line of "Mulatto" (as stated in census data) blacks from the South. None of these people were married to anyone who was white, their spouses are mostly listed as "Black" or "Mulatto" (which seemed up the discretion of the census taker) and their children were always listed as the same.

Interracial marriages/relationships would not have been tolerated.

I traced back my family history as far as I could go and found that my Grandfathers side is entirely mixed race.

So no, I didn't say anything about "descending" from racist slave owners. I said racist slave owners obviously attributed to part of the racial makeup of my family. Slave owners often used slave women as sex toys, raping them at their discretion and creating mixed race children that were allowed to live in the big house. My southern family has a lot of old portraits of family members and even some from the plantation days. You might think its a joke, but I do not.

My family is mostly from the rural south, areas where the plantations are still standing.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about African Americans thinking they're the only one that can define blackness..

Blackness, much like whiteness, are social terms with no real objective criteria and so various people seem fit to take it upon themselves to give them meaning.

For example, have you ever had an African American say to you that "you talk white," because you speak good English?

I have..

Saying slavery is overrated is like saying history is overrated.

Dear SheHateMe, you're getting ahead of yourself here again.

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT SLAVERY IS OVERRATED.

Slavery is a vile abomination, an offense against God even.. Thankfully, it is illegal in practically every country around the World now..

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
No, that is not what I am saying.

He doesn't care what you are saying. He's just trying to instigate a fight so he can derail the thread onto one of his pet topics, which he'll then waste everyone's time on with dozens of irrational posts. He does this in every thread he posts in.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I'm talking about African Americans thinking they're the only one that can define blackness..

Blackness, much like whiteness, are social terms with no real objective criteria and so various people seem fit to take it upon themselves to give them meaning.

For example, have you ever had an African American say to you that "you talk white," because you speak good English?

I have..

And what does this have to do with me? I asked you what you were talking about because the comment came out of the blue...so I was wondering if for some reason you think I pretend to be the blackest person on Earth? I don't even know what that means, so I guess both of us are stomped.

And yes, I've heard the comment before...from both blacks and whites who make it a point to comment on how articulate I am...which I find incredibly insulting, but whatever.

Dear SheHateMe, you're getting ahead of yourself here again.

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT SLAVERY IS OVERRATED.

Slavery is a vile abomination, an offense against God even.. Thankfully, it is illegal in practically every country around the World now..

I meant to say "Racism" but same deal, another poster pointed out that you seemed to be very accepting of slavery at the hands of Europeans. So it kind of slipped out...but either way, the tone of your OP suggests that you think a lot of things are overrated, so slavery applies as well.

I also find it a little peculiar that you felt it necessary to point out your half black ancestry. What does that add to your OP? Credibility?

And btw, to your earlier comment of "Who said you were smart?"

I did. So you can try to take immature jabs if you want...

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
...n't as blatant as it once was because most people won't tolerate blatantly racist views. Additionally far fewer people are racist than in the past.

However, those who are still racist / bigoted these days are usually more surreptitious in floating their views in public discourse than before as well. Unless they slip up.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
And what does this have to do with me? I asked you what you were talking about because the comment came out of the blue...so I was wondering if for some reason you think I pretend to be the blackest person on Earth? I don't even know what that means, so I guess both of us are stomped.

On a personal level, it has nothing to do with you. I brought it up because of my experiences with African Americans..

And yes, I've heard the comment before...from both blacks and whites who make it a point to comment on how articulate I am...which I find incredibly insulting, but whatever.

That's what I was talking about. A lot of African Americans take it upon themselves to determine "blackness," and one of the methods is by claiming that black people can only talk a certain way, or believe certain things.

Now I've personally never had a white American say to me that I "talk white" because I speak good English, but I suppose that's also possible.

I meant to say "Racism" but same deal, another poster pointed out that you seemed to be very accepting of slavery at the hands of Europeans.

That other poster would be very incorrect to think so, and there's no evidence that I am "very accepting of slavery at the hands of Europeans" other than what he himself has fabricated in his delusional mind..

I condemn slavery in the harshest language possible, and I view it as an offense against God.

But, since it was a ubiquitous affair in human history, it is something that should be rationalized and understood, and not something we should shy from discussing.

I also find it a little peculiar that you felt it necessary to point out your half black ancestry. What does that add to your OP? Credibility?

You know as well as I, that inevitably, someone would have accused me of being racist because I dared to state some painful truths or facts.

And btw, to your earlier comment of "Who said you were smart?"

I did. And a lot of other people around me think so to. So you can try to take immature jabs if you want...if you want to make this personal, we can go ahead and take it to the next step, honey.

What is the next step? You coming over to my place? :wub:

I jest I jest.... I was just joking SheHateMe. We have to insert a bit of humor every now and then (even at other peoples' expense), otherwise we take ourselves too seriously...

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Now I've personally never had a white American say to me that I "talk white" because I speak good English, but I suppose that's also possible.

And I never said I heard that specific comment either...but I have..on numerous occasions been commended on my speech and my demeanor by whites. It almost always occurs after someone asks me where I'm from to which I reply "Detroit" and all of a sudden, people have shit for brains.

You know as well as I, that inevitably, someone would have accused me of being racist because I dared to state some painful truths or facts.

What is the next step? You coming over to my place? :wub:

I jest I jest.... I was just joking SheHateMe. We have to insert a bit of humor every now and then (even at other peoples' expense), otherwise we take ourselves too seriously...

I don't see which parts of your OP is considered a "Painful truth" (since its common knowledge, basically). But OK.

The next step would probably have been me just making fun of you like I do Svnla. He already posted here, so you can see why. I don't have a problem with you at all...but I don't appreciate cheekiness especially when it is unnecessary. I'm being nice to you, so be nice to me...unless I'm being an ass or something.

We are all adults here, right? :biggrin:

I don't have a problem with joking, but the tone of that post was not humor...atleast it did not seem to be. Anyway, I edited my comment just in case you might have thought I was ready to go to blows with you over a comment. I certainly wasnt.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
<snip> The next step would probably have been me just making fun of you like I do Svnla. He already posted here, so you can see why. I don't have a problem with you at all...but I don't appreciate cheekiness especially when it is unnecessary. I'm being nice to you, so be nice to me...unless I'm being an ass or something.

I don't have a problem with joking, but the tone of that post was not humor...atleast it did not seem to be. Anyway, I edited my comment just in case you might have thought I was ready to go to blows with you over a comment. I certainly wasnt.

Since you mentioned my name so I response in kind of your lie directly. You making fun of me? More like I making fun of your repeating lies, putting your own words into people mouth (just as you did with Carfax in this thread = perfect example).

We are all adults? You mean adults as telling lies, being a lowlife snitch and proudly said so in public, big talk but too broke and too stupid to back them up? Uh huh! :D Yes indeed.

If need be, I will be more than glad to post your own words for the whole world to see, again.

Oh, one more thing. Where are all the vile and horrible racist PMs that you accused me of? Where are they at? Oh, you mean like there are no such thing? Like your bank account? ROTFLMFAO.

What do I know? I am just an old white dude, living in a broken down trailer, making my living by cooking fried food, right? That's what you said about me or did I just put words into your own mouth as you do regularly in here?

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Putting your immaturity on display in yet another thread.

If you cant contribute to the topic, you might as well leave.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Here we go = http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34771062&postcount=278

Folks can start reading from post #278 down and make their own decision about maturity.

Also, in the thread = http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2278522 , not once that I said any vulgar words toward the person (black and being charge with several felony crimes) in the story, unlike you = http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2311932

You said something about the woman (white and haven't committed any crime) in the story as wise and beautiful woman/cunty or did I just put words into your mouth? You were saying something about being an adult? Who is making fun of who and who is laughing at who now? :D

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
If you crunch the numbers down only 0.5% of the white population in America owned slaves in the 1800's. That small percent owned thousands of slaves but still, 99.5% of white americans had nothing to do with slavery other than dying to protect that institution when the Civil war came around [or dying to remove it]..And those who did fight and die to protect slavery were the dirt poor redneck whites who were lucky to own a house let alone own a slave. State's rights was the lie to get the poor southern whites to fight without knowing it was another word to fight in the name of slavery.

And if anyone doubts the above figure, just factor in the population of the North [which was almost entirely white back then as the great migration of blacks to the North happened 40-60 years later].

North = 22 million
South = 9 million, half of which was made up of black slaves. 4.5 million whites in the South / 22 million Whites in the North. A small percent of the White southern population actually owned slaves...Now just smirk when a black person says "WHITE people owe ME"...If white people owe black people anything, its the descendants of slave owners who owe you, and thats a big IF as people should not be responsible for the sins of their fathers. And the thanks should be to the 300,000 Northern white men who died to free them during the Civil war.

Last edited:

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I think racists should be publically shamed. I dont mind hearing of cases of it occuring in that it allows for societal correction of the behavior.

There are a few that frequent these boards, I enjoy pointing it out when i see it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If you crunch the numbers down only 0.5% of the white population in America owned slaves in the 1800's. That small percent owned thousands of slaves but still, 99.5% of white americans had nothing to do with slavery other than dying to protect that institution when the Civil war came around [or dying to remove it]..And those who did fight and die to protect slavery were the dirt poor redneck whites who were lucky to own a house let alone own a slave. State's rights was the lie to get the poor southern whites to fight without knowing it was another word to fight in the name of slavery.

And if anyone doubts the above figure, just factor in the population of the North [which was almost entirely white back then as the great migration of blacks to the North happened 40-60 years later].

North = 22 million
South = 9 million, half of which was made up of black slaves. 4.5 million whites in the South / 22 million Whites in the North. A small percent of the White southern population actually owned slaves...Now just smirk when a black person says "WHITE people owe ME"...If white people owe black people anything, its the descendants of slave owners who owe you, and thats a big IF as people should not be responsible for the sins of their fathers. And the thanks should be to the 300,000 Northern white men who died to free them during the Civil war.

I'm not going to challenge your statistics here, but it's problematic to behave as if the small percentage of the white population who owned slaves were the only one's responsible for slavery. The racism prevalent in society permitted it, and most of society back then was complicit, including the north.

I'm not one to carry blame forward to future generations but I don't think we can minimize slavery by making it entirely a function of a tiny number of slave owners. No society enslaves a group of people unless it views them as inferior and hence unworthy of freedom and autonomy.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So I am listening to the radio thismorning and a woman called in and accoused the radio personality of being racist for using the term Homey or Homey boy or something like that. I have never thought of the term Homey to mean Black. In fact I have been called that by a black person before. It just means like friend. Some people are too caught up in this racism label. I have always thought that if you look for racism all the time you will find it. It is just like when people use the term poor, all of a sudden people think Black like there are no poor white people.

Well it happens that the Radio Personality grew up in a neighborhood of University City in St Louis, Mo, and most of his school was either black or Jewish, and he was always a minority. People need to realize that not everyone grew up in a secluded all black or all white neighborhood. Give people the benefit of a doubt. Quit with the hate thing and learn to appreciate people based on their actions. Besides, people are allowed to make mistatkes. Take a chill pill.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I think racists should be publically shamed. I dont mind hearing of cases of it occuring in that it allows for societal correction of the behavior.

There are a few that frequent these boards, I enjoy pointing it out when i see it.

It seems like its generally accepted here. P&N becomes about Politics, News, and Racism sometimes on this board and it goes unnoticed (or something..). It is very one sided as well.

I'm not going to challenge your statistics here, but it's problematic to behave as if the small percentage of the white population who owned slaves were the only one's responsible for slavery. The racism prevalent in society permitted it, and most of society back then was complicit, including the north.

I'm not one to carry blame forward to future generations but I don't think we can minimize slavery by making it entirely a function of a tiny number of slave owners. No society enslaves a group of people unless it views them as inferior and hence unworthy of freedom and autonomy.

Thank you. Peonyu is acting like the institution that allowed slavery to occur in the United States...albeit, a small percentage of whites being slave owners, wasn't the same institution that allowed racial discrimination, persecution, and violence against blacks to occur with no consequences under the law.

So, no, maybe a small percentage owned slaves, but the majority of whites actively participated in the system of oppression that plagued non-whites at that time.

He's trying to downplay it.

Last edited:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Racism is alive and well in America. In both the south and the north, in the east and the west. It is not limited to one race or the other either.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Racism is the Devil!!!
thWaterboy_Mom.gif

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
It seems like its generally accepted here. P&N becomes about Politics, News, and Racism sometimes on this board and it goes unnoticed (or something..). It is very one sided as well.

Thank you. Peonyu is acting like the institution that allowed slavery to occur in the United States...albeit, a small percentage of whites being slave owners, wasn't the same institution that allowed racial discrimination, persecution, and violence against blacks to occur with no consequences under the law.

So, no, maybe a small percentage owned slaves, but the majority of whites actively participated in the system of oppression that plagued non-whites at that time.

He's trying to downplay it.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Looking at slavery as it was then, from our perspective TODAY is completely ridiculous.

Slavery of black people was accepted almost world wide in the 1800's, it was not just white americans enslaving black people but Latin America was doing it to. You could leave the US thinking slavery was disgusting only to end up in Cuba where the same thing was occuring but often with worse treatment of slaves...Latin America got the motherload of Africans to be precise - 90% of Africans went there which is why Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Dominican Republic and countless other hispanic countries are either overwhelmingly black today or close to it.

The Arabs in the Middle East, North Africa and in parts of Sub-saharan Africa itself were also enslaving black people. Morocco was one of the last countries in the world to stop black slavery. If we are going to play the blame game then there is plenty of blame to go around in all directions...

We can start with the Muslim Arabs who were the first people to institutionalize enslaving black people starting back in 700AD...The Portuguese picked up the practice from them in the 1400s and it spread to other Europeans after that.

It sounds wrong today to say it, but in the 1800s and before it the idea of having a black slave was perfectly fine...It was the British and the Americans [northern part atleast] who changed things and said slavery was bad btw...The Arabs were content to keep their slaves, it took English ships and threats of attack to make THEM stop.

Institutionalized discrimination is another story, but hey, once again its not unique to the USA. One only has to travel south of the border to see how Mexicans like Gringos, or go to Saudi Arabia and see how they like non-Muslims. Racism is always going to be around but atleast the white people in the USA have tried to mitigate it, other cultures are content to keep things as they are. If that wasnt the case then afirmitive action never would have been signed into law.

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Not 1. Try like 200. Sit in a bar and see how many guys say some shit like "how would you like to ride some cock tonight?"
Why would someone decent want to be in a dim smokey smelly place like that, if they aren't socializing with people they already know? I've only been in a few bars, and I can't imagine going to any without a predefined social event (IE, to socialize with specific known people, compete in trivia or other contest, etc.).

A nice pub might be a different story, but that's usually a case of a quality restaurant choosing not to serve kids.

On topic: this thread has not disappointed. For the record, I'm around 80% in agreement with SheHateMe, but am not going to reply to any points anyone made, nor get into the other 20%, for there is no good that can come of it.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
What I find amusing is the conflation of race with culture. America is a standing example that the two are not mutually exclusive. The Americanized 'blacks' would never intermarry or mingle with blacks from Africa. The ones who have some white ancestry (mulattos) actually use that to look down on darker blacks.

White Americans are the most mixed of any race; they have abandoned their previous cultures in their entirety; language, cuisine, apparel, etc. There is no monolithic "white" culture. The Europeans are a varied people who do not identify themselves as "one" people generally speaking.

Many immigrants from Europe, who invaded these lands and destroyed the Native Americans - genocide that gets pushed under the carpet in public discourse - are completely mixed up with "other" whites. Likewise, many other people who immigrated to America became American, culturally (abandoning all things from their place of origin).

If we are talking about racial, or rather, cultural "purity", only two groups of people in the world are said to have maintained this endogamy - Hindu Brahmins and some Ashkenazi Jews. Hindu Brahmins are able to trace their lineage back through several millenia due to the strict adherence to endogamy and self-discipline. Unfortunately (or fortunately for the untouchables), this practice is slowly being eroded due to varNa-samkarA (inter-caste marriage).

Maintain caste-purity you nitwits; that is the only way to preserve the culture of the ancients - as Hindus and Brahmins in particular have done so impeccably well.

Racial "purity" is superficial and frankly pointless - the real question to ask is whether race and culture and interlinked. That, of course, is a discussion for another thread.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
You know.

Blacks were not allowed to buy homes with the FHA in the 1950's. Homes ended up being the whites main source of stored wealth. That they pass on to their kids and send them to college. Derp!

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
And I never said I heard that specific comment either...but I have..on numerous occasions been commended on my speech and my demeanor by whites. It almost always occurs after someone asks me where I'm from to which I reply "Detroit" and all of a sudden, people have shit for brains.

I'm sure that's because Detroit is probably the worst city in America to live..

I don't see which parts of your OP is considered a "Painful truth" (since its common knowledge, basically). But OK.

A lot of what I said is common knowledge, but the context is atypical.

The next step would probably have been me just making fun of you like I do Svnla. He already posted here, so you can see why. I don't have a problem with you at all...but I don't appreciate cheekiness especially when it is unnecessary. I'm being nice to you, so be nice to me...unless I'm being an ass or something.

That's cool, but a bit of cheekiness from me every now and then to keep you on your toes shouldn't be too worrisome :biggrin:

Usually when I'm joking or being sarcastic, I use a smiley face. When I said to you, "Who said you're smart," I used a smiley icon to indicate that I was just joking with you..