Racism/Discrimination in America...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: mchammer
What if in the future of the US "Whites" became a minority. Could they have "White Culture Channel" or something?

there's no such thing as white culture.

no but there is western culture which allows minorities to come to US based on certain assumtions about human nature,society etc.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: BobDaMenkey
I spent most of my first year of college hanging out in a place called CEDAR. Center for Engineering Diversity something or another.

I was like one of 3 white people that actually went there. I heard more racist comments in that room than I heard ever before in my life. It was really quite an interesting experiance. And I made some good buddies.

But yes, I think that there is a huge double standard to racism in america.

We got that stuff here at Purdue as well. We call it bullcrap.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: albatross
What if in the future of the US "Whites" became a minority. Could they have "White Culture Channel" or something?

no but there is western culture which allows minorities to come to US based on certain assumtions about human nature,society etc.

western culture is a combination of very liberal and seperate discriminant cultures.

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
People, cultural differences are what makes life great. It goes too far when special treatment is done to "balance" things.

Affirmative Action, for example, is not about making things equal. Tipping the scales in a groups favor only breeds these kinds of debates.

Also, a minority group living in the United States complaining that "mainstream stuff" is aimed at white people, well, suck it up. You ARE the minority, this IS a capitalistic country, and if they target the MAJORITY, they make more money.

It isn't about race all the time peeps.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001

western culture is a combination of very liberal and seperate discriminant cultures.

western culture is a prodigiously rich spiritual tradition which makes certains demands on the individual not met anywhere else.
my guess is many whining minorities have a huge inferiority complex towards white people camouflaged as progressive options.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: her209
Here's an interesting exercise:

Go through IMDBs All-Time USA Box Office Movies and count the number of movies that have a sex/kissing scene that contains:
1. A non-white man
2. A white woman

This is simply going to get ignored. No one likes to actually look at the evidence but would rather speak from their opinion.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
I agree with the OP. Accepting modern oppression as as a necessary event because the oppressors have habitually been oppressed in the past doesn't make it any more just.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

western culture is a prodigiously rich spiritual tradition which makes certains demands on the individual not met anywhere else.
my guess is many whining minorities have a huge inferiority complex towards white people camouflaged as progressive options.

that's just ridiculous.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Diversity in TV programs != racism/discrimination

What exactly do you mean by 'turned the other way'?

whites have the history of oppression/racism... so, if they did it (again), they'd be called racists (and rightfully so).

Who enslaved Moses? Who started the slave trade to the New World? Which countries have huge Sex Slave markets?

Very few "Whites" owned or was involved in slavery in the US. Most people living in the US now have their family ancestory that came to the US well after slavery was made illegal.

the point is, there are people alive who remember the great racial oppression that occured before, during and immediately after the civil rights movement.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I think eits' posts in this topic are woefully out of touch with reality. It's obvious that he's exceedingly liberal and has bought the apologist attitude, hook, line, and sinker.

I am not in any way responsible for what other white people did throughout history. My ancestors didn't even move into the US until after slavery had ended. Yet I still get to experience the backlash for what "my" ancestors did.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

jews are jews. they're not white. white = anyone who looks european or... you know... white. it's not hard to tell if someone's jewish, in most cases.

You are completely idiotic. Jews can be white. Most Jews are of European descent. They only difference is their religion.

Are you telling me that Goldie Hawn isn't white?

How can you be so opinionated when you possess so little knowledge?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah lets start with doing away with Chinese New year. What makes the Chinese so special where they get their own New Year? It's insane out there, us white folk are always getting the short end of the stick. Speaking of short end, what's up with the Black Man's Penis? How come he gets such a big one and us white guys just have normal sized ones. Well it could be worse, we could have an Asian man's penis.. Ok we'll give them their New Years out of sympathy.:shocked:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: Bowhuntr11
Does anybody think that discrimination and racism has turned the other way?

For Example:

Black Music Awards
Hispanic Heritage Awards
Black Movie Awards
Asian Business Awards
Hispanic Communications Network
Black Entertainment TV
Asian Television Awards 2006
etc...
Just a thought..and something that has bothered me. And don't say "Well you have MTV"...That doesn't have WHITE or anything else in it...so don't bother.

I agree with you. In school, you are brainwashed to believe the importance of all of these different races. Black history and accomplishments are drilled into childrens heads more than any other. Im not saying that they are not important and should not be taught, but why the emphasis on the race. I think the more you point out and make notice of racial differences, the longer these racial feelings will continue. How about schools start teaching children about American accomplishments, regardless of race, sex, etc, instead of explaining that a black man did this and a white man did that.

Never had that in my school, and I went to highschool within the last decade.. where do you live/age?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
A good example of good intentions gone bad:
For many years, a black person had little chance of getting into an apprenticeship in my union local. So...they got sued, and lost. the Federal Court slapped them with a consent decree, which states something along the lines of 50% of our apprentices ( actual percentage could be more or less, depending on district) have to be black. Not hispanic, not asian, not female...those minorities don't count against the consent decree.
While on the surface, that MAY sound fair, in reality, it's hurting the trades VERY badly, because we end up with some horrible culls getting accepted, and displacing other qualified candidates. It's Affirmative Action gone wild.
Granted, some of the worst ones end up getting cut from the program, but it takes a long time to do so, and there's usually a lot of "RACIST" cards played when they go. Nearly impossible to fire from a job because of the strict rules imposed by the courts, we have to endure multiple failures of drug testing, alcohol abuse, and outright laziness.
I have NO problem working with black people, yellow people, brown people, or even purple people...(well, maybe not purple people...we gotta draw the line SOMEWHERE! ;)) but they have to do the job they are hired for.
Apprentices, by their very nature have to be taught. that's understood by everyone...(apprentice = trainee) but trying to train someone with no aptitude and no real interest is a total waste of everyone's time and the resources they take.
Fortunately, the time frame for thes consent decree is almost over, and HOPEFULLY, there will be enough progress shown, that the judge will vacate the order...finally...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Racism is what you make it.

If you look for racism you will find it.

You cant seem to get ahead in life unless you are a blond bimbo.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

jews are jews. they're not white. white = anyone who looks european or... you know... white. it's not hard to tell if someone's jewish, in most cases.

You are completely idiotic. Jews can be white. Most Jews are of European descent. They only difference is their religion.

what i meant was jews like jerry seinfeld or barbara streisand... the obvious ones.

the chances are that because she looks white, she never really felt much discrimination... unlike the jews who are obviously jews.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

what i meant was jews like jerry seinfeld or barbara streisand... the obvious ones.

the chances are that because she looks white, she never really felt much discrimination... unlike the jews who are obviously jews.

A lot of those kind of Jews can look Italian, though. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

A lot of those kind of Jews can look Italian, though. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

it's not really that hard to tell... it's like not being able to tell the difference between a arab and a mexican. there's enough of a difference that you'd be able to tell.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowhuntr11
Does anybody think that discrimination and racism has turned the other way?

For Example:

Black Music Awards
Hispanic Heritage Awards
Black Movie Awards
Asian Business Awards
Hispanic Communications Network
Black Entertainment TV
Asian Television Awards 2006
etc...

Just a thought..and something that has bothered me. And don't say "Well you have MTV"...That doesn't have WHITE or anything else in it...so don't bother.

Sigh, YAWITABETANAWETT: Yet another, Why is there a BET and not a WET thread.

You guys can relax. The US white majority owns most of the property, controls most of the government at all levels, owns and controls most of the businesses, and owns most of the money in the US.