Racism/Discrimination in America...

Bowhuntr11

Oct 4, 2005
Does anybody think that discrimination and racism has turned the other way?

For Example:

Black Music Awards
Hispanic Heritage Awards
Black Movie Awards
Asian Business Awards
Hispanic Communications Network
Black Entertainment TV
Asian Television Awards 2006
etc...

Just a thought..and something that has bothered me. And don't say "Well you have MTV"...That doesn't have WHITE or anything else in it...so don't bother.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Diversity in TV programs != racism/discrimination

What exactly do you mean by 'turned the other way'?

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
I spent most of my first year of college hanging out in a place called CEDAR. Center for Engineering Diversity something or another.

I was like one of 3 white people that actually went there. I heard more racist comments in that room than I heard ever before in my life. It was really quite an interesting experiance. And I made some good buddies.

But yes, I think that there is a huge double standard to racism in america.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage

whites have the history of oppression/racism... so, if they did it (again), they'd be called racists (and rightfully so).

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Yes, it bothers me that if I labeled any of those specifically for white people, the outcry would be deafening. I dont WANT any of them labeled for whites only, I just think the hypocrisy is shameful.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Bowhuntr11
Does anybody think that discrimination and racism has turned the other way?

For Example:

Black Music Awards
Hispanic Heritage Awards
Black Movie Awards
Asian Business Awards
Hispanic Communications Network
Black Entertainment TV
Asian Television Awards 2006
etc...
Just a thought..and something that has bothered me. And don't say "Well you have MTV"...That doesn't have WHITE or anything else in it...so don't bother.

I agree with you. In school, you are brainwashed to believe the importance of all of these different races. Black history and accomplishments are drilled into childrens heads more than any other. Im not saying that they are not important and should not be taught, but why the emphasis on the race. I think the more you point out and make notice of racial differences, the longer these racial feelings will continue. How about schools start teaching children about American accomplishments, regardless of race, sex, etc, instead of explaining that a black man did this and a white man did that.

NathanBWF

Golden Member
May 29, 2003
There is a gas station in my city in an "Urban Reserve" area. If you are a native american, gas is a few cents cheaper per litre than if you're white, black, asian, etc.

I always tell people that I'm going to open up another gas station across the street and do the same thing, but instead I'm goign to offer cheaper gas to white people and see how long it takes before I'm called a racist and my business is shut down.

buzzsaw13

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: NathanBWF
There is a gas station in my city in an "Urban Reserve" area. If you are a native american, gas is a few cents cheaper per litre than if you're white, black, asian, etc.

I always tell people that I'm going to open up another gas station across the street and do the same thing, but instead I'm goign to offer cheaper gas to white people and see how long it takes before I'm called a racist and my business is shut down.

I'd say it'll last for maybe 3 days.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: rivan
Yes, it bothers me that if I labeled any of those specifically for white people, the outcry would be deafening. I dont WANT any of them labeled for whites only, I just think the hypocrisy is shameful.

no it's not.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
is there a double standard? yes.

personally i think its hurting race relations more then helping it. but hey that is just my opinion.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by: eits

whites have the history of oppression/racism... so, if they did it (again), they'd be called racists (and rightfully so).

Just like the Africans who sold slaves to Portuguese sailors? Or the Arabians who beat their wives and treat women like dirt?

The fact is that our human (sinful) nature leads men to do these things. Don't try to single out one specific race because they happen to be more prominant than others.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Racism and sexism always has been and always will be part of the human race. At no time in history has there ever been a truly equal society. It's just the way mankind is.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: RapidSnail

Just like the Africans who sold slaves to Portuguese sailors? Or the Arabians who beat their wives and treat women like dirt?

The fact is that our human (sinful) nature leads men to do these things. Don't try to single out one specific race because they happen to be more prominant than others.

they're singled out because they share a common culture and background.

blacks have bet awards
whites have country music awards
hispanics have whatever they have
etc.

it's not like you can't have a white guy on the bet awards (bubba sparxxx or however it's spelled), paul wall, eminem, etc.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

blacks have bet awards
etc.

it's not like you can't have a white guy on the bet awards (bubba sparxxx or however it's spelled), paul wall, eminem, etc.

Is the country music awards called "The white entertainment awards"? What if it were? See the double standard there?

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

blacks have bet awards
etc.

Is the country music awards called "The white entertainment awards"? What if it were? See the double standard there?

it might as well be.

for over two centuries, you've seen whites mistreating blacks in this country and "white only" signs all over the place. if you call the country music awards "white entertainment awards," you'll just be opening up that whole can of worms again.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

blacks have bet awards
etc.

it might as well be.

for over two centuries, you've seen whites mistreating blacks in this country and "white only" signs all over the place. if you call the country music awards "white entertainment awards," you'll just be opening up that whole can of worms again.

:laugh:

Here is some information that will shock you:

A black man is the co-host of Nashville Star (country music's version of American Idol).
Cowboy Troy

Bowhuntr11

Oct 4, 2005
"if you call the country music awards "white entertainment awards," you'll just be opening up that whole can of worms again."

Exactly...So why can they call it black entertainment awards? If its wrong for us to do it?

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Nobody wants equality. Everybody wants the scales tipped in their favor. That's why racism will never die.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Who enslaved Moses? Who started the slave trade to the New World? Which countries have huge Sex Slave markets?

Very few "Whites" owned or was involved in slavery in the US. Most people living in the US now have their family ancestory that came to the US well after slavery was made illegal.

Superself

Jun 7, 2001
"if you call the country music awards "white entertainment awards," you'll just be opening up that whole can of worms again."

Exactly...So why can they call it black entertainment awards? If its wrong for us to do it?

It is called Black Entertainment awards to make it stand out to those looking for that kind of entertainment. Not too long ago it was very very difficult to find entertainment geared toward your culture. That is why it is called Black Entertainment Television (BET). To make it stand out amongst the majority white content.
It has always been easy for Whites to find stuff to watch.

If you are not a minority, it may be difficult to understand.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Superself

It is called Black Entertainment awards to make it stand out to those looking for that kind of entertainment. Not too long ago it was very very difficult to find entertainment geared toward your culture. That is why it is called Black Entertainment Television (BET). To make it stand out amongst the majority white content.

I guess minorities have a difficult time determining whether or not a tv show appeals to them if the title of the network doesnt include their race in it. Is that what you're saying?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Superself

Or if you are looking not to integrate yourself with society, you view TV shows as a "white"/"black" show.