Racial Redistricting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Do you think the idea is insane or do you think it's Constitutional? I think it sucks, because the original intent of the Census was to be a head count only and maybe to get illegal aliens out. Why does the Federal Government purposefully try to make us a "racially aware" society?

To quote Ron Paul, "rights belong to individuals, not groups."; "Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism."

Here's a link to a list of majority-minority districts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority-minority_district

I'm not racist, and in fact, I think that this majority-minority redistricting has only lead to more racism.

Suppose they go to district by levels of income next? I don't want a district full of blue-blooded Northeasterners being generous with other peoples' money (what people from MA tend to do).

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Do you think the idea is insane or do you think it's Constitutional? I think it sucks, because the original intent of the Census was to be a head count only and maybe to get illegal aliens out. Why does the Federal Government purposefully try to make us a "racially aware" society?

To quote Ron Paul, "rights belong to individuals, not groups."; "Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism."

Here's a link to a list of majority-minority districts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority-minority_district

I'm not racist, and in fact, I think that this majority-minority redistricting has only lead to more racism.

Suppose they go to district by levels of income next? I don't want a district full of blue-blooded Northeasterners being generous with other peoples' money (what people from MA tend to do).

FAIL.

Seriously, about 40 districts out of 435 have a majority of of minorities? That shows how much the districts have been racially gerrymandered to keep minorities from having majorities. The US is like 40 percent minority yet the minorities have about 10 percent of districts where they are the majority? Especially when you consider that minorities tend to live close together, see inner cities, that's freaking outrageous.

How about the Republican economic and religious redistricting? With modern computer technology the Republicans are re-drawing districts on literally a building by building basis to get control of districts with the absolute minimum of population, thereby getting far more Republican districts, which are almost exclusively white.

Your post is hereby PWNED.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
But why should groups of individuals have a say rather than individuals?

Most of the things they want are to increase the power of government, maybe other than to end the war on drugs.

Besides, the Census is being abused. Why should the government collect data on peoples' race? Why should they do anything other than a head count?

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Stats and trends... I think most people here (even if they are scared to admit it) know there are differences in the races, either culturally, biologically, or whatever. I use the census information in my bill collections job to find out which accounts are statistically more likely to pay so we don't waste time calling a bunch of worthless accounts. Calling someone in the inner city where the welfare rate is sky high and the average monthly income is $500 (welfare) and there is a $25,000 doctor bill. Why bother trying to collect? They will never have $25,000 laying around. Quite useful actually.

I don't actually have any thing based on race at the moment, but one reasons why it would be good is (and why I even load the information into the database)... Alot of hispanics are non english speaking, we can set up the system to have a bunch of bilingual reps call accounts in that area, rather than having our english only reps call and waste a bunch of time.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Most of the things they want are to increase the power of government, maybe other than to end the war on drugs.

Besides, the Census is being abused. Why should the government collect data on peoples' race? Why should they do anything other than a head count?

Your first sentence belongs in another thread.

Your second sentence shows you are a racist.

This shows you don't know anything about history. For over a hundred years since the Civil War many, many states drew district lines strictly on race, to keep African Americans from having any elected officials. They also used laws designed to keep African Americans from voting at all, for example grandfather laws.
The US needed a voting rights act to attempt to fix the situation. Even into the 1990's states were using race as a factor in redistricting. This kept minorities from having fair representation.
We would not have proof of any of this without the Census keeping track of race.
Today the problem is the racists have found other criteria that technically isn't race, but is used to create white supermajorities.

Isn't today the day you wash your hood? White gets dirty awfully fast.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
FAIL.

Seriously, about 40 districts out of 435 have a majority of of minorities? That shows how much the districts have been racially gerrymandered to keep minorities from having majorities. The US is like 40 percent minority yet the minorities have about 10 percent of districts where they are the majority? Especially when you consider that minorities tend to live close together, see inner cities, that's freaking outrageous.

How about the Republican economic and religious redistricting? With modern computer technology the Republicans are re-drawing districts on literally a building by building basis to get control of districts with the absolute minimum of population, thereby getting far more Republican districts, which are almost exclusively white.

Your post is hereby PWNED.

What do you think the minority districts are for? You really don't think it is to give the minorities their own representative regardless of party do you? I would bet a months pay that if all those minority districts voted for the party you didn't agree with someone from your side would have posted the OP.

It has nothing to do with the minorities and everything to do with locking up certain districts. Lets take a look at the 2nd district in New Orleans, which was intentionally designed to be a "majority-minority" district shall we. Despite the sun, moon, stars, planets, and the entire friggen galaxy aligning to get Cao elected (basically a special election after all the big ones with UBER-low turnout) there is noway in hell he will be reelected. That is a solid DEMOCRAT seat and always will be. Even Cao himself knows he was a fluke and despite being the ONLY Republican to vote for the health care bill, and you have to appreciate his reasoning (his constituents overwhelmingly wanted it), he doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell during a normal election.

The intent AND the result is not to give "minorities" a representative, it is to give a certain party an all but guaranteed seat. Hell, republicans rarely even bother to run in the 2nd district and if one does it is for some other reason then to actually get elected to that seat.

Ironically that happens to be the seat that was long held by Dollar Bill Jeffer$on the guy that got caught with marked bribe money in his freezer. Even funnier is he got reelected AFTER they found the money and won the Democrat primary in 2008. He would have easily won reelection in 2008 had the general election been held on Nov. 4th. Due to the primaries being delayed by a hurricane they were held on Nov. 4th and the general election was held in December.

Despite being indicted in 2007 on well over a dozen charges of corruption including the very publicized fact that the FBI found $90,000, that an informant was taped bribing him with, in his freezer he lost the 2008 election to Cao by 3% of the vote.

That should be proof enough that forming districts for political reasons (including race) is not a good idea.

You should read up on the entire Jefferson family, it is amazing how corrupt they are/have been and for how long they have gotten away with it. Two of his brothers are already convicted felons including one of them that was recently found guilty of bribing the Orleans Parish School Board, you should check and see how well those schools performed over the last decade or two. Throw in some more bribery and a few RICO charges for some other family members, and even running a non-profit for children that they stole all of the money from.

Craig, the Jefferson family controlled the S. Louisiana Progressive Democrats as well which they used quite successfully to get multiple family members elected to various state, local and Federal seats. He was, and some of his family still is, a part of what you claim we need more of. Everyone knew he was dirty for far longer than the investigation and I do mean everyone, yet he remained on one of the most powerful committees in the house until they found the "cold cash".

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
What do you think the minority districts are for? You really don't think it is to give the minorities their own representative regardless of party do you? I would bet a months pay that if all those minority districts voted for the party you didn't agree with someone from your side would have posted the OP.

It has nothing to do with the minorities and everything to do with locking up certain districts. Lets take a look at the 2nd district in New Orleans, which was intentionally designed to be a "majority-minority" district shall we. Despite the sun, moon, stars, planets, and the entire friggen galaxy aligning to get Cao elected (basically a special election after all the big ones with UBER-low turnout) there is noway in hell he will be reelected. That is a solid DEMOCRAT seat and always will be. Even Cao himself knows he was a fluke and despite being the ONLY Republican to vote for the health care bill, and you have to appreciate his reasoning (his constituents overwhelmingly wanted it), he doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell during a normal election.

The intent AND the result is not to give "minorities" a representative, it is to give a certain party an all but guaranteed seat. Hell, republicans rarely even bother to run in the 2nd district and if one does it is for some other reason then to actually get elected to that seat.

Ironically that happens to be the seat that was long held by Dollar Bill Jeffer$on the guy that got caught with marked bribe money in his freezer. Even funnier is he got reelected AFTER they found the money and won the Democrat primary in 2008. He would have easily won reelection in 2008 had the general election been held on Nov. 4th. Due to the primaries being delayed by a hurricane they were held on Nov. 4th and the general election was held in December.

Despite being indicted in 2007 on well over a dozen charges of corruption including the very publicized fact that the FBI found $90,000, that an informant was taped bribing him with, in his freezer he lost the 2008 election to Cao by 3% of the vote.

That should be proof enough that forming districts for political reasons (including race) is not a good idea.

You should read up on the entire Jefferson family, it is amazing how corrupt they are/have been and for how long they have gotten away with it. Two of his brothers are already convicted felons including one of them that was recently found guilty of bribing the Orleans Parish School Board, you should check and see how well those schools performed over the last decade or two. Throw in some more bribery and a few RICO charges for some other family members, and even running a non-profit for children that they stole all of the money from.

Craig, the Jefferson family controlled the S. Louisiana Progressive Democrats as well which they used quite successfully to get multiple family members elected to various state, local and Federal seats. He was, and some of his family still is, a part of what you claim we need more of. Everyone knew he was dirty for far longer than the investigation and I do mean everyone, yet he remained on one of the most powerful committees in the house until they found the "cold cash".

LA-02 is not a good example of majority-minority racial gerrymandering. It included all of New Orleans and only two parishes (Orleans and parts of Jefferson). It is fairly compact. Because of population loses after Katrina, Louisiana will lose a congressional seat. LA-02 will need to expand and then it may be considered a gerrymander. The infamous NC-12 seat that snakes all over North Carolina and is held by Mel Watts is a good example of racial gerrymandering.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
LA-02 is not a good example of majority-minority racial gerrymandering. It included all of New Orleans and only two parishes (Orleans and parts of Jefferson). It is fairly compact. Because of population loses after Katrina, Louisiana will lose a congressional seat. LA-02 will need to expand and then it may be considered a gerrymander. The infamous NC-12 seat that snakes all over North Carolina and is held by Mel Watts is a good example of racial gerrymandering.

How so?

It has actually been shrank over time and the part of Jefferson Parish it covers is where all the black folk used to (most still do but lots of other races live in the area now as well due to expansion) live.

Not to mention the fact that it is pretty much written into law that it stays a minority district.

Since then, its position as a virtually consistent Democratic seat is mostly due to its being one of the "Majority-Minority" districts created as a result of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, to ensure minority voters have a likely opportunity to elect representatives in Congress and to guard against adverse racially-motivated gerrymandering.

As I read that, it is a district that was "racially-motivated gerrymandered" and then guarded from "adverse racially-motivated gerrymandering". See above post for the swell results.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Minority is a useless term anyways, since it means non-white and everyone knows it. Yet White people are a minority in several states and regions, and several other states are quickly becoming White-minority states. I know Im not elligible for minority Scholarships in South Florida despite being a minority here as a White person. If the word was accurate and had real meaning to it I would be rolling in minority Scholarships..

So whats the point to that word other than dividing people into White and Non-White ?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
@ Darwin: I also was thinking it was to help mostly-statist Democrats or neocons get elected, because with every majority-minority district, the person in it basically has a monopoly on the seat--they're appointed for life. Also, as the guy above me pointed out, whites are barely even a national majority anymore. It just goes to show how fucked up the Federal Government is, because all they care about is labeling people.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Minority is a useless term anyways, since it means non-white and everyone knows it. Yet White people are a minority in several states and regions, and several other states are quickly becoming White-minority states. I know Im not elligible for minority Scholarships in South Florida despite being a minority here as a White person. If the word was accurate and had real meaning to it I would be rolling in minority Scholarships..

So whats the point to that word other than dividing people into White and Non-White ?

Yet being white still doesn't present you any significant disadvantages which is what that is all about.

If people speaking spanish around you make you feel sad, then get Rosetta Stone, don't bring your white man's tears in here.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Yet being white still doesn't present you any significant disadvantages which is what that is all about.

If people speaking spanish around you make you feel sad, then get Rosetta Stone, don't bring your white man's tears in here.

And how do you know everything is 100% fair in White-minority areas, did you study it or are you just going off of naive beliefs that white people always have it the best. And as far as crying goes, Black tears and hispanic tears are far more common. So if you say I am crying then atleast know that I have only taken 1 kleenex out of the box vs the 99 other groups routinely take out for their fake tears. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.