r580... In house and working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Tanclearas
Is everybody new here?! R580 being ready shouldn't surprise anyone that has been around since the 5800/5900. The 5800 was way behind schedule, but the 5900 still shipped only a few months after the 5800. The design of the R580 was probably ready, and lessons learned from the manufacturing process can likely be applied to R580.

:beer:

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
They did much, much better with the next cards.
Which cards are you referring to? The X850's? I thought that those were only available months after they were launched... Or were you referring to CrossFire, perhaps?

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Around here the x850 had good availability after a month or so (at least how I remember it). The x800xl was promptly ready. The really poor launches here were the 6800gt and ultra and the x800xt xtpe. Only card you could buy for months after those famous paper launches was the the x800pro. Lots of cards available now, so possibly ati has got that side of things in order.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
lets see the availability of these cards...its useless if there are only 10 available!

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: ronnn
Around here the x850 had good availability after a month or so (at least how I remember it). The x800xl was promptly ready. The really poor launches here were the 6800gt and ultra and the x800xt xtpe. Only card you could buy for months after those famous paper launches was the the x800pro. Lots of cards available now, so possibly ati has got that side of things in order.

Don't forget Crossfire and the R520 Ronnn.

They've been delayed many times and are still MIA.

And the X700XT, which "launched" but never made it to market. So, ATI is building quite a repetoire of paper launches, delays and cancellations over the last couple years.

The infamous Phantom Edition, the ghost edition X700XT, the day late/dollar short X800 Crossfire fiasco, and the spun three times, hopefully coming soon to an Ebay dealer near your R520 X1800XtraTough to Find edition!

;)

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

1) Who had an X850 XTPE in the first week of Jan 2005..?

2) Is the X800XL an X850 series card..? That doesn't make a whole lotta sense...

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Are we being jocular again? I wasn't looking for an x850xt pe - so really I am not sure when exactly it arrived - so maybe I am mistaken. I was watching for the 6800ultra and the x800xt pe and they took months. Anyways all this is past history and reports seem to indicate that the r520 is shipping and that things have gone very smooth with the r580. I guess we will know in a couple of months.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Sorry, but the point is that ATI's track record has not gotten much better since the X800 series... I didn't realize that their high end performance crown card had to be excluded from any points made. Are there any other facts that I'm not allowed to reference in a discussion with you that I need to be aware of?

I found this little tidbit in an article dated Thursday 28th July, 2005....

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1365&redirect=yes

...ATI is busy putting the final touches to the GPU that it hopes will give NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 GTX a performance headache. That being the case, the fastest ATI card that you can buy right now is the RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition. The availability of PE cards has been sketchy for a few months now...

What reports? The press release from ATI? Well, good luck with your X1800's... I really don't care when they come out.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: nitromullet
Sorry, but the point is that ATI's track record has not gotten much better since the X800 series... I didn't realize that their high end performance crown card had to be excluded from any points made. Are there any other facts that I'm not allowed to reference in a discussion with you that I need to be aware of?

I found this little tidbit in an article dated Thursday 28th July, 2005....

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1365&redirect=yes

...ATI is busy putting the final touches to the GPU that it hopes will give NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 GTX a performance headache. That being the case, the fastest ATI card that you can buy right now is the RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition. The availability of PE cards has been sketchy for a few months now...

What reports? The press release from ATI? Well, good luck with your X1800's... I really don't care when they come out.

If you don't care, why crap in this thread? The r580 thing is a little hard to believe, but will be interesting to see exactly how these "pipes" are constructed.

jasonja

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Rollo

Don't forget Crossfire and the R520 Ronnn.

They've been delayed many times and are still MIA.

And the X700XT, which "launched" but never made it to market. So, ATI is building quite a repetoire of paper launches, delays and cancellations over the last couple years.

The infamous Phantom Edition, the ghost edition X700XT, the day late/dollar short X800 Crossfire fiasco, and the spun three times, hopefully coming soon to an Ebay dealer near your R520 X1800XtraTough to Find edition!

;)

Rollo,

What part of the R520 hasn't been launched yet don't you understand???

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
The amount of speculation is ridiculous.

Guys! Come on... they haven't even launched the R520. They are not going to trump their lead card this fast. Perhaps it is ready but it isn't going to be out for a while.

Additionally, im apalled, that some of you would take the word of some forums on some foreign site that has smileys and question marks all over the place. Why dont you wait for a reputable review site or something before you begin touting all the features of the new card.

-Kevin

jasonja

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ender11122
If ATI has this God of a chip in the R600, which they can produce in large quantities, why are they bothering with all these other less advanced chips. Why cant they just modify R600 for desktop and skip all the rest??

Converting a console chip to a desktop isn't a simple task... Designing a chip for a console doesn't make it a perfect solution for a PC.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
The amount of speculation is ridiculous.

Guys! Come on... they haven't even launched the R520. They are not going to trump their lead card this fast. Perhaps it is ready but it isn't going to be out for a while.

Additionally, im apalled, that some of you would take the word of some forums on some foreign site that has smileys and question marks all over the place. Why dont you wait for a reputable review site or something before you begin touting all the features of the new card.

-Kevin

So if you don't enjoy it, get out some, eh. I for one enjoy hearing about the new cards in the works and besides the r530 is based on the r580. The r580 is the lead card in this batch.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I never said i dont enjoy it. Some of these are just so far fetched and flawed it isn't even funny.

I like discussion as much as the next guy, but this speculation, and peole constantly "pimping" or basing unreleased technology is kind of annoying.

-Kevin

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
If you don't care, why crap in this thread? The r580 thing is a little hard to believe, but will be interesting to see exactly how these "pipes" are constructed.

Nice way to get out of not actually responding to any of my valid points. Just because I don't really care, doesn't mean I'm not interested. With a 7800GTX SLI rig, I don't think I have anything to be concerned with in terms of being able to play games for a bit. That being said, if on the off chance the X1800 stomps the GTX, I'd like to actually be able to buy one.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
im apalled, that some of you would take the word of some forums on some foreign site that has smileys and question marks all over the place

They're only question marks and smiley's because you don't have the proper Asian font installed for the pages to display correctly. C'mon man, you're smarter than that...

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
I never said i dont enjoy it. Some of these are just so far fetched and flawed it isn't even funny.

I like discussion as much as the next guy, but this speculation, and peole constantly "pimping" or basing unreleased technology is kind of annoying.

-Kevin

yet you defend obvious trolling as a parody? Sorry last you will here of this from me, but time for a decent mod.

And anyways this thread is not far fetched at all. The R580 is coming, but when? and what?

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Nice way to get out of not actually responding to any of my valid points. Just because I don't really care, doesn't mean I'm not interested. With a 7800GTX SLI rig, I don't think I have anything to be concerned with in terms of being able to play games for a bit. That being said, if on the off chance the X1800 stomps the GTX, I'd like to actually be able to buy one.

Ok if you are interested - your points as I remember them is Ati is always late and upper end cards are always scarce and x-fire is not released yet, so therefore the r520 will be late and you don't care. Lets see - If I had invested in a GTX sli rig, I wouldn't care either. The x800 850 xtpe's were scarce as your link indicated. Lots of them now, but of course hardly top line anymore. X-fire is not released yet, but working demo's are here - so you must be right the gtx will absolutely kill the forever unavailable x1800xt. But the future can be a tricky thing to predict. ;)

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
im apalled, that some of you would take the word of some forums on some foreign site that has smileys and question marks all over the place

They're only question marks and smiley's because you don't have the proper Asian font installed for the pages to display correctly. C'mon man, you're smarter than that...

Doh....noob post for the day lol.

Still, it is in a forum, and not a widely known forum at that. Im not saying that they are wrong, but there is really no reputation that would make those statements automatically right.

yet you defend obvious trolling as a parody?

That history thread was most definitely parody. As i said in that thread, there is a stong possibility that the underlying principle was to bash Crossfire, but 0 proof for that statement.

And anyways this thread is not far fetched at all. The R580 is coming, but when? and what?

Of course it is coming. However this thread and link would lead you to believe that it is coming at the same time as the R520, and will be here in 2 weeks and is worlds better than anything in the competition (while i cant attest the second half as there is always a chance that it might be) the first half is arguably invalid.

-Kevin

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
No the box says coming this fall, r520 is coming in 6 days. Close but not the same. If all these benchies showing the r520, richer in features and slower than the gtx - makes sense to release the quicker card asap.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Errrr, my post above is parody- it's funny how we all get all hot n' bothered when ATI dribbles out some little detail about some product months down the road.

No need to get bent out of shape, ATIs been leading us by the nose all year, I was just agreeing with 5150?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I am sick of reading speculation.

Seriously, there needs to be a sub-forum here for flaming idiot threads & rumor/speculation threads :|

The only reason i even read this crap is because i am desperately hoping there will still be an AGP R520, even though i know it's not likely.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: n7
I am sick of reading speculation.

Seriously, there needs to be a sub-forum here for flaming idiot threads & rumor/speculation threads :|

The only reason i even read this crap is because i am desperately hoping there will still be an AGP R520, even though i know it's not likely.

Dude, you've got a good socket 939 processor- just ditch that Neo2 and grab a MSI SLI board for $100 at newegg?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I like my Neo2 though...i don't wanna get rid of it :(

Oh, & did you say SLI board?

Helllllll no! :p

If i grab a PCI-e mobo, it would be the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D likely, or maybe the Grouper, if ATi ever gets it out ;)

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: n7
I like my Neo2 though...i don't wanna get rid of it :(

Oh, & did you say SLI board?

Helllllll no! :p

If i grab a PCI-e mobo, it would be the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D likely, or maybe the Grouper, if ATi ever gets it out ;)

What the? What's wrong with nForce 4 SLI at $100?