R350 to be "cheap"?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Was breifly skimming Rage3D as I usually do for updates on new drivers as I'm currently running on a Radeon 8500. One of their most recent news headlines includes this quote:

And by the time Nvidia gets the GeForce FX to the market, ATI will be almost ready to launch a low-cost version of last fall's chip, a project that is code-named the R350

Someone has already posted some news about R350 powered boards possibly costing consumers $150 less than nVidia's GeForce FX 5800 Ultra, while I and many others didn't believe such a claim (as $249 MSRP seems to be way too low for a product that is supposedly going to be 10% faster than the FX), this quote has caught me a little off-guard. Certiainly I wouldn't think that a "low cost" would entail a price tag of $399, perhaps $299 for an R350 board would be believable but still, "low-cost version"?

Perhaps there was an error and they meant the RV350, but the way the sentence is structured it implies that ATI will be getting ready to launch a "new" chip of their own right after the FX becomes availble to put even further presure on the nVidia part, not a low budget product like the 9000 (Pro), which is "worse" than the 8500/9100.

I dunno, maybe I'm just dreaming too hard, an R350 "Radeon 9900 (Pro)" @ $299 would be the shizzle as I would most definately jump on such an offer...

Right now I've been doing just fine with my 8500 for now, but I wouldn't mind spending some $$ and getting myself a nice 17" or 19" LCD and running everything @ 1280 x 1024. I realize a 9700 (Pro) can easily do that for me now, but I'd hate to fork over money when the R350 sounds very promising and supposedly "low-cost."

linky... Rage3D

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I think you're reading too much into an ambiguous comment. If their comment is accurate, then I believe that it will either be cheaper for ATI to manufacture, or they're referring to their "value" card. From a marketing point of view, why would they sell their card at $250, when they could sell the top card at $300+ and still beat nvidia? The RV350 on the other hand should be cheaper (I can't remember what it's specs are but I remember it's the more value card of the two).

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
I don't see the R300 selling for less than the current crop of 9700 Pro's which it will outperform. It might start at $350 instead of the 9700 Pro's origional $399 retail price though. I guess we will know pretty soon.