R300 and nv30 killer...

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well maybe not, but I nominate myself as the resident S3 fanboy :)

Check savagenews for some SavageXP details and a picture of a board.

Check here for the PR from VIA.

I pasted the candy below.

Configured with a 64MB frame buffer, the SavageXP features high performance 128bit DDR memory interface, with over 5.7 GB/s memory bandwidth. Hardware transform and lighting geometry processing feeds a feature rich quad texture graphics architecture. Focusing on high-quality video functions including DVI and TV-Out, the SavageXP also integrates the S3Graphics Duo-View? Plus supporting Microsoft® Windows® XP extended desktop on permutations of multi-display options. Advance power management features supports low acoustic fan-less designs. Extensive driver support ensures compatibility with latest operating systems.

One by one...

128bit DDR memory interface, with over 5.7 GB/s memory bandwidth

So, like 355MHz DDR memory? Whassup wit dat?

Hardware transform and lighting geometry processing feeds a feature rich quad texture graphics architecture

w00t! S3 got T&L to work?!? Everyone run and hide.

Advance power management features supports low acoustic fan-less designs

= the chip cost too much and is too slow to compete with Geforce4 4200 and ATI 8500 so they have to cut costs anywhere they can.

Extensive driver support ensures compatibility with latest operating systems.

errr... umm... where to begin!

Looks to be an entry level card to gain back some traction in the market.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
well if all goes well... there will be plenty og graphics card competition this fall... which should mean lower prices.... woohoo!

Angus

Feb 11, 2001
it's not killer for r300 or nv30.

-__-""

it aims for valuable market.

furthermore, having T&L doesn't need it has mass performance, and its internal texture and geometry unit are yet unknown.

as reminder, sis also has a directx8 and agp8 video chipsets, but its performance is only match to gf4mx

Gog

Feb 1, 2002
Merlocka... you call this a R300 and NV30 killer...

uhmm, how should I put this to you politely?

WHAT THE F*CK HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING!!!:)

This is meant to be a value line card which S3 would be lucky if they got to perform near a Geforce 4mx (probably perform like the new SIS Xabre cards)...

Man, you got me excited over nothing.:disgust:

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
aww c'mon... were looking to have an fun fall/winter line-up this year.

SiS Xaber - Q3?
Matrox Parhelia in Q3?
S3 SavageXP - Q3?
ATI R250/300 in Q4?
nVidia NV30 in Q4?
Kyro3 ? (might be dead)
Bitboys ? (can't forget those guys)

It's more fun when everyone plays!!!

DClark

Apr 16, 2001
5.7GB/s of bandwidth is hardly worth bragging about. For comparison, the Retail Radeon 32mb DDR has 5.9GB/s, the GeForce2 Pro has 6.4GB/s, and the Radeon 7500 has 7.4GB/s worth of bandwidth.

They're pretty much telling you it's going to be slow by the statement "...low acoustic fan-less designs".

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Can you say "less than a GF2 Pro"? In fact that's about the same as a Radeon 64 MB VIVO.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
64MB frame buffer? how much texture buffer?

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: merlocka
Well maybe not, but I nominate myself as the resident S3 fanboy :)

Check savagenews for some SavageXP details and a picture of a board.

Check here for the PR from VIA.

I pasted the candy below.

Configured with a 64MB frame buffer, the SavageXP features high performance 128bit DDR memory interface, with over 5.7 GB/s memory bandwidth. Hardware transform and lighting geometry processing feeds a feature rich quad texture graphics architecture. Focusing on high-quality video functions including DVI and TV-Out, the SavageXP also integrates the S3Graphics Duo-View? Plus supporting Microsoft® Windows® XP extended desktop on permutations of multi-display options. Advance power management features supports low acoustic fan-less designs. Extensive driver support ensures compatibility with latest operating systems.

One by one...

So, like 355MHz DDR memory? Whassup wit dat?

Hardware transform and lighting geometry processing feeds a feature rich quad texture graphics architecture

w00t! S3 got T&L to work?!? Everyone run and hide.

Advance power management features supports low acoustic fan-less designs

= the chip cost too much and is too slow to compete with Geforce4 4200 and ATI 8500 so they have to cut costs anywhere they can.

Extensive driver support ensures compatibility with latest operating systems.

errr... umm... where to begin!

Looks to be an entry level card to gain back some traction in the market.

Hmmm, R300-NV30-Parhelia= 23GB/s+ of bandwidth...... I think you should rename your title dude
rolleye.gif

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hmmm, R300-NV30-Parhelia= 23GB/s+ of bandwidth...... I think you should rename your title dude

Captain Obvious to the rescue...

A few more SavageXP card pix