R/C car people, what do you think of the Loi 8ight 1/8th scale buggy?

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Intersting. I didn't know that Losi had a 1/8th buggy in the works. I would be intersted in seeing the changes under the body. Their website only has pictures with the body on. I've been interested in picking up a new buggy for some time. Almost pulled the trigger on the XRAY XB8 several times but I decided to hold off until the end of the month.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Well I dont know about that but atleast it has dura in it :p
And ive had 2 evaders, one nito evader, 1 nitro quake, and 3 mini quakes and have beat the living piss out of them all and kept begging for more so I dont find them to be of bad build at all.

OH and I have also owned HPI, Kyosho, Traxxas, and many other and find duratrax to be up there with them all. But in all fairness you did ask for others opinions.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
So you've talked yourself down from a Pontiac GTO to a RC car?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: funboy42
Well I dont know about that but atleast it has dura in it :p
And ive had 2 evaders, one nito evader, 1 nitro quake, and 3 mini quakes and have beat the living piss out of them all and kept begging for more so I dont find them to be of bad build at all.

OH and I have also owned HPI, Kyosho, Traxxas, and many other and find duratrax to be up there with them all. But in all fairness you did ask for others opinions.

ive owned HPI, my bro owns a XXX-NT, friends have owned all kinds, including a duratrash, and it was just that, trash. the thing ate gears for breakfast, clutch pads for lunch, and wouldnt shift for dinner.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: KLin
So you've talked yourself down from a Pontiac GTO to a RC car?

the GTO can wait, my parents wouldnt let me, so, i want something fun.

Aug 16, 2001
I look forward to the public release of the Losi 8ight but I don't get all the hype around it. It has done well so far in the races it entered during development but for some reason Losi is always backed by a huge group of fanbois. Maybe because it's a US brand. Losi makes great cars no doubt.

There are so many good 1/8 scale bugs out there right now. The top cars are still (in no order of preference) Kyosho MP777 SP2, Mugen MBX5 Prospec, XRAY XB8, OFNA Jammin, OFNA Hyper 8.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
I look forward to the public release of the Losi 8ight but I don't get all the hype around it. It has done well so far in the races it entered during development but for some reason Losi is always backed by a huge group of fanbois. Maybe because it's a US brand. Losi makes great cars no doubt.

There are so many good 1/8 scale bugs out there right now. The top cars are still (in no order of preference) Kyosho MP777 SP2, Mugen MBX5 Prospec, XRAY XB8, OFNA Jammin, OFNA Hyper 8.

/me needs to look up prices on all this crap.

i found the MP777 SP2, not bad lookin

havent found the others anywhere, but i have hmwk to do.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
also, is the OS .21 RG a decent engine? ive never had a non pullstart engine, but i know that the pullstart is an extra cost, as well as weight, but the starterbox will cost a bit.

and, what would you reccomend as a pipe/header combo, and remote?

id love to get out for under 1 grand.

Aug 16, 2001
The RG is a good engine and works great for short tight tracks. It's not a high rpm screamer and got lots of torque down low. I've ran 2 of them into the ground muself and at the local track it's just as good as any $300 mill.

I'll post a great package for you later tonight. I'm heading out for food. :D

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
The RG is a good engine and works great for short tight tracks. It's not a high rpm screamer and got lots of torque down low. I've ran 2 of them into the ground muself and at the local track it's just as good as any $300 mill.

I'll post a great package for you later tonight. I'm heading out for food. :D

i just have my yard to mess with, no real track, i have a very large yard, and all kinds of places to go, so i dont have to worry about that :D

low end torque is fun though

MorphineChild

Aug 10, 2001
I have a Thunder Tiger EB4 that has been great, unfortunately I don't have time to run it. A couple years ago this model was one of the better ones. I switched from a smaller Kyosho electric car to this nitro car, and wow what a difference! Only downside to the 1/8th Nitro cars is the durability, there is much more mass and velocity, so if you hit something wrong something is going to give.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: MorphineChild
I have a Thunder Tiger EB4 that has been great, unfortunately I don't have time to run it. A couple years ago this model was one of the better ones. I switched from a smaller Kyosho electric car to this nitro car, and wow what a difference! Only downside to the 1/8th Nitro cars is the durability, there is much more mass and velocity, so if you hit something wrong something is going to give.

i own a 1/10th scale NMT, with an 0.s. .15cv-x, i know what speed, and momentum is.

my brothers XXX-NT is damn fast too.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
When I had my GS Storm Pro I ran an OS .21 RG. It was a nice engine for what I needed and you couldn't beat the price.

FustratedUser posted a nice list. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. One thing I suggest is if you have a local hobby shop pay them a visit. See what kind of R/C's they carry and what kind of spare parts they have instock. There is nothing worse than breaking something and being out of commission for 3-5 days while you wait on mail order parts.

I try to support my LHS as much as I can but their selection is slim.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: mcvickj
When I had my GS Storm Pro I ran an OS .21 RG. It was a nice engine for what I needed and you couldn't beat the price.

FustratedUser posted a nice list. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. One thing I suggest is if you have a local hobby shop pay them a visit. See what kind of R/C's they carry and what kind of spare parts they have instock. There is nothing worse than breaking something and being out of commission for 3-5 days while you wait on mail order parts.

the only local one i know of is a Hobbytown USA.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

You poor soul. I've never visited one but I have heard horror stories about them. The two around my area are both mom and pop stores.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

You poor soul. I've never visited one but I have heard horror stories about them. The two around my area are both mom and pop stores.

i typically will break something, and buy 2 of it when it does break. knowing i will probably break it again.

hell, i still have like $150 in parts for my NMT, i just dont like it anymore.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Get an Ofna buggy. Most of Ofnas stuff sucks, but their buggies are built VERY solid and can take A LOT of punishment. The only problem is that Ofna engines suck balls and so does the suspension. I have an old Ofna Ultra world gt 1/8 scale buggy but I dropped in a .30 OS Max engine and some upgraded shocks.

By buggy is solid and strong and has crazy power and speed.

MorphineChild

Aug 10, 2001

i typically will break something, and buy 2 of it when it does break. knowing i will probably break it again.

hell, i still have like $150 in parts for my NMT, i just dont like it anymore.

I just bought the upgraded components, RC is a damn expensive hobby!! I think I have around $600 into mine, possibly more with all the upgraded components.

MorphineChild

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: swtethan
geez... 600 without engine and radios?

I believe I paid somewhere around $350 for the car with a radio and engine, then had to buy the fuel, some $25/gallon. Then pretty much a complete front end, all ergal upgrades, then miscellaneus here and there, new tires........ It adds up in a hurry.