QX9650 @ 4ghz Need Help!

nrok45

Sep 3, 2008
Well i've gotten my qx9650 @ 4ghz (10x400fsb) and it fails prime after only a few minutes. Really looking for help to keep it at 1.36vcore by getting some help with GTL Ref voltage settings because I dont wanna go over Intel spec and heard these help a lot.

Voltages from the bios readings are:

Vcore: 1.36v.
Cpu Pll: 1.61v.
Fsb Termination: 1.344v.
Dram: 2.11v, 4-4-4-15 Timings, 1:1 divider.
NB Voltage: 1.488v.
SB Voltage: 1.104v.
SB 1.5v: 1.55v.

Never Messed with these voltages:

Dram Controller Voltage Ref: 1.056v.
3.3v: 3.26v.
5v: 4.944v.
12v: 12.15

I have read that people have gotten a more stable overclock out of messing with the CPU GTL Voltage References, NB GTL Voltage References, AI Clock Twister and AI Transaction Booster settings. I have those all set to auto right now and was wondering if someone can give me some advice as to what I should try setting these at.

Also I have my FSB Strap to NorthBridge set to auto, should I just leave this alone or change it, what should I set it to?

Any and all help greatly appreciated

nrok45

Sep 3, 2008
Oh yeah sorry system specs:

Antec 900
Asus Rampage Formula (v0410 bios)
Intel QX9650 w/Xigmatek hdt-s1283 cooler with retention bracket
OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 4-4-4-15
Evga GTX 280
300gig Velociraptor
PC Power and Cooling 750w psu

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Intel documents say Vcc max for Penryn and 45nm derivatives is 1.45V.

That's the absolute max, not what it says on the box. 1.3625V is the maximum voltage that is covered by the warranty, and that Intel will allow a cpu to be sold for a variety of reasons, such as heat, thermal design power (wattage), VRM specifications (amps), and longevity.

So before you fool around with other voltages, that are just as detrimental to the cpu as the core voltage, I'd say follow this order. Set your ram to stock if it isn't already, set your cpu to 400x8 and stock voltage, and find the lowest voltages for VTT and NB to work at 400 mhz (IMO, 1.3 VTT and 1.4V NB should be enough, you are overshooting with your current settings). After that, increase the multiplier to 10, increase the voltage to 1.36v (where you left off), and keep upping the vcore one notch at a time until you are prime stable, or you are no longer comfortable with your temperatures, or you reach 1.45V in bios.

If you reach the last condition (voltage) before the other 2 (stablity or temp issues), thats when you stop and you reconsider if your chip is really capable of 4.0 ghz. So you'd go back and set your entire motherboard back to stock, and start working just with cpu multiplier and voltage. You'd set 333x12 and try to find the voltage at which it's stable. If you get it stable, than it's an issue with your cpu not liking 400 fsb and a high multiplier. That's when you start tweaking GTL voltages.

Also, leave the SB voltages all to stock, you don't need to overvolt the SB at all. The strap should be set to 400, you can set it to 333 to force tighter latencies in the NB, but you will probably need to push more voltage into the NB to make it stable. Overall the gains are minimal, so I'd say set it to 400. I don't know what leaving it on Auto does, maybe it leaves it at 333 and that's why you are having a hard time.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Big Lar
It would help if you post what Board you are running on.

Larry

In the sig, man... :)

No, I DON'T think it's a bad CPU.

JAG87 has it completely nailed. It's hard to get quads up to 4 GHz. Pure and simple. It hasn't kept some people from doing it, but running the CPU beyond warrantied voltages is a risk factor. To do that with some margin of safety, water or refrigeration is probably necessary.

Dang, JAG's given me a couple new things to try...

Big Lar

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky

Larry

JAG87 has it completely nailed. It's hard to get quads up to 4 GHz. Pure and simple. It hasn't kept some people from doing it, but running the CPU beyond warrantied voltages is a risk factor. To do that with some margin of safety, water or refrigeration is probably necessary.

He just made the sig "man".

@ nork45, http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...howthread.php?t=202292 < a very good read about how to set GTL's.

Larry

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky

Larry

He just made the sig "man".

@ nork45, http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...howthread.php?t=202292 < a very good read about how to set GTL's.

Larry

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link on GTLs.