QX6700 Operating Temperature?

markjonesx

May 2, 2003
Does anyone know what the normal recommended operating temperature of this chip is?

Also what is the maximum temp before thermal throttle cuts in?

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
The maximum temperature for the QX6700 given a 130w thermal solution is 64.5c before Intel's Thermal Monitor kicks in. Download the QX6700 data sheet here.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
The maximum temperature for the QX6700 given a 130w thermal solution is 64.5c before Intel's Thermal Monitor kicks in. Download the QX6700 data sheet here.

overclocked, can bring the TDP on these suckers to ~215-250W. :p

Good luck cooling that load on air :p

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Woofmeister

That's not the temp when throttling starts but rather the recommended operating temp. Throttling won't start unless the core temp is close to 100C for a long duration or 100C at any point in time.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
and you may add that 64.5C is the maximum recommended TCASE temperature at 130W.

This safe temperature threshold rises as the watts increase, so if you overclock and your wattage is now 180W for example, the maximum recommended (following the linear graph) would be 73C.

However when tJunction reaches 100C, throttling begins regardless of your wattage or tCase temperature.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: JAG87
and you may add that 64.5C is the maximum recommended TCASE temperature at 130W.

This safe temperature threshold rises as the watts increase, so if you overclock and your wattage is now 180W for example, the maximum recommended (following the linear graph) would be 73C.

However when tJunction reaches 100C, throttling begins regardless of your wattage or tCase temperature.

problem is the only way you can get an accurate Tcase reading is by using a drilled IHS for a thermosensor.

Use coretemp, or Speedfan, or everst. Take a core reading. If i remember my old QX carefully i believe the max the cores can go b4 shutdown was 100C.

You wanna try to keep her a little under 80 or at 80 during 100% load.

Even then i feel thats a bit too hot.

-Honestly, i have 1 thing to say. If people can afford a 1000 dollar CPU, they should seriously look into high end cooling.

Also if you guys dont think my statement is correct, i believe someone linked a news post where it says INTEL will only sell the QX6800, to privite companys that use watercooling for it.

Ummmmmm QX6700vs QX6800 isnt that much of a big increase in TDP. :T

Just something you guys should know.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Why do you need a drilled IHS? you do know there is a sensor right smack in the middle on the underside of the IHS... :Q thats what programs like speedfan and nvidia monitor pick up the temperature from. thats pretty accurate Tcase... its not a digital sensor like the core sensors, but its pretty damn good...

But I do agree with you aigo, good air cooling can handle up to 150W, after that you really need water. I had phase, and decided against it. to be honest with you, it created so much heat, that all the cpu cooling gain was translated into a sauna of a room and a scorching SLI setup. Plus it nearly destroyed my old motherboard. the socket was all oxidized (I dont know from what since it was all submersed in goop :confused:

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Actually, the best tool for measuring the core temp is Intel TAT.....right from the CPU core.