Quote of the day (simple tcp/ip services)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i would answer but i have no clue where these quotes are appearing for you, is it some kind of program?

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Windows NT (and its derivates) have a service called Simple TCP/IP services that starts by default. When it's active, if you telnet to port 17 on your computer you'll get a quote. I have quotes by George Bernard Shaw, Charles Dickens, etc.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
it is probably pre-programmed, and hence you cannot change it, but still I really don't know what you are talking about (non-nt user)

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

<< Windows NT (and its derivates) have a service called Simple TCP/IP services that starts by default. When it's active, if you telnet to port 17 on your computer you'll get a quote. I have quotes by George Bernard Shaw, Charles Dickens, etc. >>

I spoke with MS Level 3 support and you are the only one that is getting these "quotes", as you call them!

?????

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
I spoke with MS Level 3 support and you are the only one that is getting these "quotes", as you call them!

ROFL :D

kingnothing - have you tried mskb?

Yomicron

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
A quick look the the XP help file revieled this:

<< Quotations are taken at random from the following file: systemroot\System32\Drivers\Etc\Quotes >>

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
You know you're a geek when...you search for an answer to a Windows question on google but fail to search the Windows help file. :eek:

Level 3 tech support doesn't know about this, huh? lol

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I have XP, tried this, but didnt get any quote, just this:

Connecting to 64.xx.xx.xx...Could not open connection to the host on port 17.
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Yomicron

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002

<< You know you're a geek when...you search for an answer to a Windows question on google but fail to search the Windows help file. :eek: >>

Are you saying I'm not a geek?!:confused:

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Well, first of all, that's a good thing that your computer is actively refusing connections. If you want to see one of the 10 quotes, make sure the Simple TCP/IP service is started, and make sure XP's firewall is turned off.

Yomicron

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
To get the quote of the day, make sure you have the telnet syntax correct:

telnet localhost 17

Do not type:

telnet localhost:17

This works in XP, not sure about the others