Quitting smoking is a lot harder than I thought

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I can't imagine why you thought it would be easy. The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit.

Try not to think about it. Whenever you get the urge grab a bottle of water and take a sip instead. Or chew gum. Whatever you do, don't have a cigarette.

Why did you start in the first place?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
oh, here's a tip i can't believe you don't hear more often. Every so often, just take a few deep breaths. I think your body becomes conditioned to multiple deep breathing sessions per day and quitting those cold turkey can mess you up as well. When you think about wanting to smoke, take 4 or 5 real deep breaths and it will help relax you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Quit now, quit later, everyone eventually has to quit sometime. You can tough it out now, when it's relatively easy, or you can be going through severe nicotine withdrawals 30-40 years from now right after being diagnosed with some terminal smoking-related illness. It's your life, it's your choice, you decide.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Kyle
Originally posted by: ManyBeers
Originally posted by: Kyle
keep yourself busy - come up with things that you've wanted to get done for a while and do them...most urges will last 5 mins or less, so when you get one, immediatly go do something else to distract yourself. Substitutions also usually work - gum/straw/hard candies/sunflower seeds etc.

In my experience and many other smokers i personally have known and discussed this very topic with there is no effective substitute for a cigarette. That is one of the reasons they are exceedingly difficult to quit for most people.

Obviously it's not going to be as good as a cig.
Sub's will just take your mind off the fact that there is nothing in your mouth/hand.
Also - EVERYBODY's quitting process is different...That is the most important thing to realize - some people can just quit CT - some struggle for months. Some have more of an emotional attachment to the cigs, some it's just habit. I've talked to people who want nothing more than to Q but it throws them in to a deep depression to be without a cig. For some people it's like their best friend. Some people smoked all day most of their life - that's like telling someone to Q somehting that is really a part of their every day activities.
Bottom line - there is no secrect- it's just a matter of finding what works for you, keeping your motivation high, and fighting through it. Support helps, medication helps (nicotine replacement; Chantix, Bupropion etc), subs/coping skills MAY help - but really nothing is going to "take the place" or be a 100% effective sub for a cig.
BTW- I am an ex-smoker, and work for a Tobacco Cessation company - have helped thousands of people Q and everybodies quit is different - it effects everybody differently.

I've quit smoking cigarettes twice in my life: at 28 after smoking for 15 years from age 13 and at 42 after starting again at 38 for no good reason. I am now 54 and havn't smoked a cigarette in 12 years. I have also quit using other substances as well. I agree , a person has to be strongly motivated to quit and will themselves to do it in spite of the pain. Eventually things get better after about 9 mos. to a year for a smoker as you describe here "Some people smoked all day most of their life - that's like telling someone to Q somehting that is really a part of their every day activities". I know because i was one of them.

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
Get a prescription for Chantix. It makes it stupid easy to quit. I had been smoking for 10 years and quit in 2 weeks with it, same with my mother who had been smoking for 50 years.

CHANTIX

Works like methadone for heroin addicts. It blocks the nicotine pleasure receptors in the brain. You get no good feeling from smoking the cigarette. It actually makes you feel ill.

Only catch is some people get nauseous from it. Make sure you take it with food.

Trust me, if you want to quit use this stuff.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
How long have you been smoking? 3-4 mos. I doubt you have acquired a strong addiction yet.You should have no trouble at all quitting

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bulldog13
Get a prescription for Chantix. It makes it stupid easy to quit. I had been smoking for 10 years and quit in 2 weeks with it, same with my mother who had been smoking for 50 years.

CHANTIX

Works like methadone for heroin addicts. It blocks the nicotine pleasure receptors in the brain. You get no good feeling from smoking the cigarette. It actually makes you feel ill.

Only catch is some people get nauseous from it. Make sure you take it with food.

Trust me, if you want to quit use this stuff.

that's what my wife is on, and she has had a horrible time quitting in the past. It's made it easy as pie for her this time around (so far anyway)