Quit a dead-end job

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Sure, why not? I keep enough saved away just in case something like that happens.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yes. Years ago used to work for ADP taking payroll info over the phone and entering it into a dumb terminal. Horrible job and I hated it. One day I got fed up and put in notice and quit. I found a much better job like two months later.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Would you ever quit a crappy dead-end job with nothing lined up to replace it?

No, because explaining the gap on your resume will get harder and harder as time goes on. Plus if you leave w/o a new job, it sort of looks like you got fired.

Feb 6, 2007
Yes. Life is too short to waste away feeling miserable. Granted, you need some money set aside, but my friend just quit her job without anything lined up and got another one within a week, so it's certainly possible to do.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
my curreent job seems to be dead end but i can't find anything else, unless i do retail or something like that, which is just dead end again.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
ive done the opposite before... i had a dead end job working in a factory that made vents and curbs for industrial/ commercial A/C units. the guy hated me with a passion, tried to goad me into fights at every turn. i realized he was trying to either make me quit or make me start a fight so he could fire me, so i just put up with it for 3 weeks and played games to make him mad. he finally came over and asked me to leave one friday afternoon. its too easy to find any ole job, so i dont worry about quitting on the spot for a dead end job. the 3 weeks of his "torture" was worth it to make him cave in and just do what he should have in the first place. the job really really sucked too, in a metal warehouse with no A/C bent over making skids and crates for big aluminum air vents all day, listening to the local hip hop station.