"QUIET" gaming mouse? Any ideas?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
This is kinda bad. Did you think about Acoustic panels?

Here is link just for idea(dont look at price,it was first link i found):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pyle-PSIP24...am-Acoustic-Isolation-Dampening-/262057065143

That kinda solution can be made quite cheap. And for sound absorbing good solution. After all, you don't just click on night, you eat,drink, smoke if ur smoker, move on ur chair and so on.

I seen foams quite cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-Aco...roofing-Foam-Wedges-1-X-12-X-12-/262180265373

Didn't look for stands, but i doubt they are expensive.

Great solution, let's all just sound deaden every room in our homes because that is way more feasible than trying to find a quieter mouse. However how is that going to help if your wife is in the same room while you're gaming? Tell her to go bake a pie and stop whining?

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
HERE
https://youtu.be/v00XoDikL5E
i got so annoyed i decide to record a video. im using a FK1 which uses Huano switches. me tapping both mouse and desk at the same intensity. had to make both taps louder because if i only clicked the mouse like i normally do, you wouldn't hear anything.

I get that your mouse is quiet but some of us have mice with rather loud "clicks". I have a MX518 and I can hear it clicking with headphones on. Its louder than me rapping my knuckles on the desk with the same intensity.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Are mice normally loud? I've been using Logitech gaming mice for the last 11+ years and I never noticed any of them being loud or quiet.

I have a 17 y/o nephew living with me on summer break playing LoL as an ADC main all night with my Razer mouse. Yes, mice are loud. I can pretty much tell what phase of the game he's in just by the click patterns... 2 rooms over... through a closed door.

Doesn't bother me, but I can hear it for sure.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
As far as why someone might need/want a quiet mouse, having a fiancee who sleeps within a few feet of the PC, early morning or late night gaming sessions in an otherwise silent room with click-happy games like FPS or RTS can get old fast. Did that really never occur to you?

For your situation if you are having trouble finding a quiet mouse you may be able to work with making the room more noisy as well, something like portable humidifier can create a larger white noise background that is easy to tune out while making it harder to notice things like mouse clicks.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
For your situation if you are having trouble finding a quiet mouse you may be able to work with making the room more noisy as well, something like portable humidifier can create a larger white noise background that is easy to tune out while making it harder to notice things like mouse clicks.

Thanks. I'm kinda trying that.

I'm a big fan of "white noise" when sleeping so we have a tower fan that runs. But the clicks of the G400s are still plenty noticeable in an otherwise silent room.

I wasn't sure if newer mice had the same pitch/volume of clicking or it varied drastically between makers (I've only ever used Logitech mice)

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
we aren't. mice make sound, just like everything makes sound. they make less sound than the sound your fingers would make tapping a hard surface, as the switch has mechanical resistance that absorbs energy, and no "click tool", as mx blue would have. if the sound of an omron clicking is too loud, whomever has that problem doesn't need to look for a quiet switch, but for a fix to their ears.

HERE
https://youtu.be/v00XoDikL5E
i got so annoyed i decide to record a video. im using a FK1 which uses Huano switches. me tapping both mouse and desk at the same intensity. had to make both taps louder because if i only clicked the mouse like i normally do, you wouldn't hear anything.

Your proof of a mouse not making sound is a clip of one which is over £50, so not exactly proof that no mouse makes noise, but useful nonetheless.

So, in answer to the OPs question.
'Try the FK1' :)
There we are, a nice, easy, polite answer. No need for a back and forth.

For the record, many mice make a fairly loud clicking noise. Whether it be cheap office mice (which can be heard over the aircon and noisy enviroment) or more overpriced Razer mice, or plenty of Logitech mice. Many of which can easily be heard when in a different room to the PC - regardless of opinion of the quality of these mice, given the price of them it is not unreasonable one would assume they were quiet, also given that both are fairly common brands amongst gamers, they are a perfect example that plenty of mainstream mice are noisy.

Last edited:

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks. I'm kinda trying that.

I'm a big fan of "white noise" when sleeping so we have a tower fan that runs. But the clicks of the G400s are still plenty noticeable in an otherwise silent room.

I wasn't sure if newer mice had the same pitch/volume of clicking or it varied drastically between makers (I've only ever used Logitech mice)

I would guess that you have already looked at how your clicking the mouse, if you are one of those people that lifts the finger completely off the button on releasing it you are likely making more noise than you could be when you bring it back down to tap. I also assume simply moving the PC isnt an option either, otherwise white noise and a bit of distance may do the trick. I have never had anyone complain about mouse clicking noises, but then I also dont have a PC in the bedroom.

If its a specific pitch issue what I would suggest is taking your fiancee to a best buy or staples or somewhere with a large mouse display and seeing which mice sound different to her, people all tend to be more sensitive to some frequencies than others so getting her feedback could help.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Cool man, hope it works for you. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

KT

Just wanted to say thanks again, Keith! Got the mouse today, and for $16, it's all that I wanted it to be.

What's interesting is that I actually went out to Microcenter the other day and bought these two:
Cm-TmckWcAEYkcC.jpg:large

...just for comparison sake. The Mionix was noticeably the loudest, and I didn't care for the feel of the Rival, so back they both went.
The FOME came today, and it's..well...silent. I debated putting up a video of the comparison of clicks to the G400s I've been using, but I think DigDog has been embarrassed enough in this thread. ;)

Anyway, thanks again and I'd recommend it to any folks needing a near-silent, decent gaming mouse.:thumbsup:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also own a G400s; and a deathadder, an abyssus, and a zowie. your problem can be easily solved by following the link i provided. it's a real medical issue, don't let it pass unnoticed.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
i also own a G400s; and a deathadder, an abyssus, and a zowie. your problem can be easily solved by following the link i provided. it's a real medical issue, don't let it pass unnoticed.

Diggy. Just, stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Again.

gsilver

Jul 8, 2012
Get one with capacitive buttons like the Apple Magic Mouse

It may not be the greatest gaming mouse, but it will make no clicking noise (aside from your finger hitting a plastic surface)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Just wanted to say thanks again, Keith! Got the mouse today, and for $16, it's all that I wanted it to be.

What's interesting is that I actually went out to Microcenter the other day and bought these two:
Cm-TmckWcAEYkcC.jpg:large

...just for comparison sake. The Mionix was noticeably the loudest, and I didn't care for the feel of the Rival, so back they both went.
The FOME came today, and it's..well...silent. I debated putting up a video of the comparison of clicks to the G400s I've been using, but I think DigDog has been embarrassed enough in this thread. ;)

Anyway, thanks again and I'd recommend it to any folks needing a near-silent, decent gaming mouse.:thumbsup:

Awesome, glad it worked out for you and thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

KT

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Get one with capacitive buttons like the Apple Magic Mouse

It may not be the greatest gaming mouse, but it will make no clicking noise (aside from your finger hitting a plastic surface)

That's actually not a bad idea, but I'm curious how good of a gaming mouse it would be. Do they even use a scroll wheel?

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013

Thanks for the update. Been looking for a quiet mouse myself. Getting one myself.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The topic was about quiet gaming mice. All of the ones you listed are not quiet.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
On a similar subject, are there quiet keyboards? I love my (near) silent mouse, frankly don't understand why all mice don't work this way, but I still have the problem of a loud, clickity clackity keyboard.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
On a similar subject, are there quiet keyboards? I love my (near) silent mouse, frankly don't understand why all mice don't work this way, but I still have the problem of a loud, clickity clackity keyboard.

I need a good quiet keyboard too. Have not come upon a great one yet. Please post if you find one!

KT

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I hate this thread and I hate you Sulaco :). Never really paid much attention to my mouse, I even have a loud K70 keyboard. Now every time I click the sound cuts right through everything else.... You all are going to hell :eek:. g502 here.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
For those still looking, I've got a Kone XTD and it's definitely on the quieter side. Not silent, but better than any others I've used in a long time.