Quiet around here

ochadd

May 27, 2004
Been fairly excited to get a few new machines and get them crunching towards Team Anandtech. This forum seems kind of dead. Are people posting on another forum or is everyone content to let the machines sit and crunch?

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome, please don't let the slience scare you. We are all so transfixed watching our computers work we sometimes forget to speak.
Please do pick a project and fire it up.
If you need help, someone will come out of their trance and give you a hand that is a given :)

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
or we are waiting for seti to fix thier servers and forget about everything else

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
Originally posted by: dajeepster
or we are waiting for seti to fix thier servers and forget about everything else

Super frustrated about that right now, as much as I love it being 20 degrees cooler in here!!

ochadd

May 27, 2004
Originally posted by: jonesthewine
What are you crunching, and what hardware do you have?

Mainly I do SETI but I've been having all kinds of issues with it this week. Combination of getting optimized apps working and the servers not giving me work. Still not 100% sure if everything is working. All my workunits just uploaded about 30 seconds ago so maybe it's alright.

Right now I'm doing SETI, Rosetta, Climateprediction, and started GPUGRID last night. Ten cores and two GPUs.

SETI
AMD X2 4850e 2.5ghz
AMD X2 Turion 1.6ghz
Intel T7250 2ghz

SETI, GPUGRID, Climate Prediction
e7400@4ghz
GTX 260 downclocked to 500mhz core 1100 shaders

SETI, Rosetta, Folding
e6750@2.66 - Rosetta
ATI 2400HD

Once I can get a steady supply of work units for SETI I'll probably just do that and Rosetta.

Hiya ochadd... I did see you were crunching some Milkyway, so your hardware peeked out.

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/mil..._user.php?userid=46946

If you're going to keep at it there, I highly suggest you get the projects optimized clients at zslip.com, even better if you have an HD38xx or HD48xx/HD49xx GPU.

I probably will not continue as it was just a filler for lack of work units. I'll keep that in mind though. Are there any optimized apps for Rosetta?

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
will make one observance:...

it's a bit fecking sad when it seems you have nearly as much hair growing out of your ears as you do growing out of your head.
and trying to cut it with scissors without getting multiple ear-piercings can be a bit of a ah heck!

don't mind me :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol Orange Kid & Andy :D

Hi ochadd
Nice fleet you have :cool:.
Occasionally quiet around here, but we soon pipe up ;)
So what ppd are you getting on SETI & how many points have you got?

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
i'm going to ask a probably stupid question...
again! :)

it's to do with member status.
how on earth are these worked out???

i used to think it was to do with number of posts.
but there are 2 elite members here....

one has 2505 posts, and the other has 20820 posts???

not that i'm aspiring to be elite, but i'm slightly confused :) hehe

ochadd

May 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Lol Orange Kid & Andy :D

Hi ochadd
Nice fleet you have :cool:.
Occasionally quiet around here, but we soon pipe up ;)
So what ppd are you getting on SETI & how many points have you got?

Last I checked I'm 4k points away from 100k. Should hit that tonight. I've never had this many machines going and it's likely I won't for very long after I hit 200k.

Total for BOINC I was doing 5000 a day but since moving everything over to optimized apps yesterday it looks like I could hit 8000 or better.

I've commandeered two laptops, my mothers computer, my work computer, and my home computer :) Eventually I'll be back to my e7400 and GTX 260 at home. Maybe mothers computer part time but I've got her running Linux Mint and haven't figured out how to keep it going between restarts yet.

Thinking about buying a Phenom 9600 setup. I've got memory and a power supply laying around at home so it would cost me $125 total to have a quad core going at it permanently.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TAandy

It's purely a political process.

Write a lot of PMs, kiss a lot of arse, and do stats for a project seems to be the most direct route.

(edit: I've always taken it as a compliment that it would be unthinkable to consider Sid as 'Eleeeeeete')

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003

The normal status ratings are based on post count; "elite" status is an exception. A senior moderator (i.e. mod about those that are elected I believe) nominates someone for elite, and then it is discussed amongst the other senior mods. That is from what I've heard about it--I don't know a whole lot about the subject.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Insidious

It's purely a political process.

Write a lot of PMs, kiss a lot of arse, and do stats for a project seems to be the most direct route.

(edit: I've always taken it as a compliment that it would be unthinkable to consider Sid as 'Eleeeeeete')
Hey Sid I've never done any arse kissing :p......unless it was yours lol ;).

Andy
AFAIK you get Elite by helping other members a lot & doing useful/interesting posts, then a load members clammer for you to be elite & then the mods consider it ;).

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Yeah. It's been quiet. I've been too busy to do anything fun lately. :p

As for posts, there's a post in the PFI Forum.

ochadd

May 27, 2004
Added an Atom 330 rig and that's crunching headless consuming 30 watts on a 300 watt power supply. Brings my "core" count up to 12. Might pick up a few more Atom 330 motherboards to splice into the same power supply. Once they are configured I can probably get a half dozen or more on the one power supply.

Well I finally had to give up on my GPU crunching. Got my electric bill + my AC wasn't keeping up... That should cost me 5000+ per day.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
don't forget to install the optimized seti applications:

Originally posted by: Philippart
the best cuda, astropulse and regular optimized apps are here: http://lunatics.kwsn.net/
my C2Q@3333MhZ crunches WUs in 680 sec while a similar core i7 takes over 2000 sec with the stock app!!

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Aweful lot of noise for a place that's quite. :( Had to break down and build a new 'Puter for Mama. She can't play her games without the thing rebooting. Not to mention the thing won't crunch with out crashing. Core 2 quad ....4 gig of OCZ Memory and a Asus p5q main board....and all the other stuff needed to make it run.

Enough said.........let you all know how it goes.

And keep the noise down in here.....supposed to be quite....remember!

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
First two things I'd check - memory & PSU.

Memtest with all sticks installed overnight to check for errors.

What PSU? Do you have a known good unit you could swap to make sure that's not the issue?

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005

it's a bit fecking sad when it seems you have nearly as much hair growing out of your ears as you do growing out of your head.
and trying to cut it with scissors without getting multiple ear-piercings can be a bit of a ah heck!

Try tweezers. :)

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by: lizardth

Try tweezers. :)

have.
keep missing!
at least the scissors give a wee bit of control :)

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001

Put away the scissors and get one of these. ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Smoke

I would never put any such large monster tool close to my ears or nose! What are they built for? Drilling tunnels? ;) They may eat my whole head! :D

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
Originally posted by: Smoke

I would never put any such large monster tool close to my ears or nose! What are they built for? Drilling tunnels? ;) They may eat my whole head! :D

If you weren't careful, you would perform a self-inflicted lobotomy!