Solved! Quiet 4-pin fan

Geos54

Nov 24, 2021
The fan on my HP Elitedesk 400 G8 is starting to get noisy. Is there a quieter replacement fan?

Attachments

• 4 pin fan.jpg
    4 pin fan.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 12

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
That looks like a generic standard mount 4-pin fan; can't guess what the size is from the pic.

Are you sure the PC is a HP Elitedesk 400 G8 because a bit of cursory searching on the fan size/replacement parts doesn't bring up any information about a model with that particular designation?

Whatever model it is from the spare parts web site I found it looks like it might be fitted with this fan but do not know for sure.

Looking at it I'd guess you could mount any same size 4 pin fan you wanted on the heat-sink.

Geos54

Nov 24, 2021
That looks like a generic standard mount 4-pin fan; can't guess what the size is from the pic.

Are you sure the PC is a HP Elitedesk 400 G8 because a bit of cursory searching on the fan size/replacement parts doesn't bring up any information about a model with that particular designation?

Whatever model it is from the spare parts web site I found it looks like it might be fitted with this fan but do not know for sure.

Looking at it I'd guess you could mount any same size 4 pin fan you wanted on the heat-sink.
My mistake, it's a G7. That's the fan. I'll check US suppliers. THANK YOU!

Reactions: Mantrid-Drone

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My mistake, it's a G7. That's the fan. I'll check US suppliers. THANK YOU!
Without knowing the size of the fan, an accurate replacement recommendation would be difficult. 120mm-140mm, Arctic Cooling are hella quiet. Smaller? Not sure any more...maybe Noctua?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Measure fan in mm, input that into web search engine along with "4 pin".

Note current rating on the sticker and get something similar, since it is probably RPM controlled and you don't want a fan rated too high or else it may not spin up at the lowest threshold, or too low or else it may not provide adequate airflow at the command for (near) full RPM from the motherboard.

Quieter, will be any fan that doesn't have worn out bearings, assuming that's what the problem is and it was formerly not this loud... assuming you don't have some malware causing high CPU load/heat, nothing wrong with the heatsink mount so it isn't half falling off the CPU to cause overheating, nor system clogged with dust to raise the ambient temp to a lower temp difference so it has to spin faster trying to hit the target temp.

Brand of fan doesn't necessarily matter much, I mean buy a major brand but the majority of the noise is going to be from turbulence due to sitting on top a heatsink. Paying a premium for a particular fan that scores well in lower noise in open air, won't get you nearly as much in the way of further noise reduction in this situation.

Reactions: Geos54

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Measure fan in mm, input that into web search engine along with "4 pin".

Note current rating on the sticker and get something similar, since it is probably RPM controlled and you don't want a fan rated too high or else it may not spin up at the lowest threshold, or too low or else it may not provide adequate airflow at the command for (near) full RPM from the motherboard.

Quieter, will be any fan that doesn't have worn out bearings, assuming that's what the problem is and it was formerly not this loud... assuming you don't have some malware causing high CPU load/heat, nothing wrong with the heatsink mount so it isn't half falling off the CPU to cause overheating, nor system clogged with dust to raise the ambient temp to a lower temp difference so it has to spin faster trying to hit the target temp.

Brand of fan doesn't necessarily matter much, I mean buy a major brand but the majority of the noise is going to be from turbulence due to sitting on top a heatsink. Paying a premium for a particular fan that scores well in lower noise in open air, won't get you nearly as much in the way of further noise reduction in this situation.

If the fan still has it's mfgr sticker, google the model number and make. That should give you all the specs you need. Give us that info and we might be able to help.