/Quickly marks Alabama off the lists of places to visit...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: jhayx7
I love Alabama :(

And I love Yellow Jackets, they are very pretty looking but they do hurt like fvck when they sting. Last time I got stung was about 8 years ago when I was mowing the lawn for the first time that year. Apparently they built a nest in the ground and when I ran over it they attacked me. I got the last laugh when I poured gas in their nest tho :D

From what I remember, they hurt more than wasps or bees.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Armitage
Holy crap.

On another note, I can't believe a whole article on a subject like that and not a single picture.

edit - thanks for the pic link. Damn. How do you even go about removing something like that? I think I'd start with a large laser guided incindiary bomb dropped from at least 30,000 feet.

Yep, story worthless without pics. :(

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz

And I love Yellow Jackets, they are very pretty looking but they do hurt like fvck when they sting. Last time I got stung was about 8 years ago when I was mowing the lawn for the first time that year. Apparently they built a nest in the ground and when I ran over it they attacked me. I got the last laugh when I poured gas in their nest tho :D

Yup. From what I hear, they are no where near as bad as a European Hornet.

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz

Yup. From what I hear, they are no where near as bad as a European Hornet.

I have been stung by one (or what I was told was one). It felt like a freakin nail being jammed in my arm.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I've been to AL once and it was enough to make me never want to return.

The people were nice, much nicer than anyone in the midwest, but there's not a fvcking thing to do there.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I stepped on some type of nest on a creek bank once...and whatever stung me, hurt like a motherfvcker. I think it might have been yellowjackets, or paper wasps.

Fvckers.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I doubt that nests like that would occur, if people would take care of their stuff. The man saw the nest in the floorboard of the car and left it there. He should have taken care of it while it was still small. Stupidity!!

: ) Amanda

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
first i was going to tell you that living in pearland, you have no right to speak about anywhere else.

but then i saw the chevy full of wasps

:Q

wtf you moved?

It was Friendswood not Pearland, big difference. ;)
Yep traded rattlesnakes, brown recluses and nutrias for hobo spiders and beavers.
Portland is alot like Austin, but with better weather (in the summer) and fewer traffic problems.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
"He investigated a nest near Pineapple, measuring about 5 feet by 4 feet, that was coming out of the ground on a roadside. A southwest Pike County house in Goshen had a giant nest spreading into its roof."
4x5 feet. Good god.

These huge nests - say they're in an isolated area. How might the hornets respond to some fire? :D

Yellow jackets have been prolific here in PA too. I've destroyed an underground nest, there's one under the eve of the roof where the power lines hook up, and I had a bit of fun with a nest about the size of a football, which was hanging from a bush. I just whacked it down with a long pipe. They were fairly pissed. By the next day, they had a softball-sized nest on the branch already. I tried some of Raid's Earth Options brand, an "environmentally friendly" insecticide. Apparently it's also "yellow-jacket friendly" as they were simply annoyed by it, but none seemed to die, even after two sprayings. Ortho Hornet Killer 4 did the trick nicely. The nest was quiet very quickly.

But it's really the underground ones that I don't like - push mower + hornet nest = big big fun. The mower pisses them off, and they all fly out en masse just as I'm walking past.

Good way of killing an underground nest: a clear glass bowl. At night, once they're all in the nest sleeping, put a glass bowl upside-down over the nest, and make sure it's pressed down good. The bees will see light, and thus not realize that they're trapped - if they decide that they are trapped, like if the entrance was covered with a rock, they'd dig another way out. With the bowl, they don't do that, so the whole nest just starves to death.

And you can all be glad that there aren't Asian giant hornets around here. Up to 1.8" long. Pics.
Lovely critters

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Platypus
I've been to AL once and it was enough to make me never want to return.

The people were nice, much nicer than anyone in the midwest, but there's not a fvcking thing to do there.

my brother in law is stationed at fort rucker for heli flight training, and when he gets a few days off they go to florida to get away from the place.