Question QuickBooks and Internet Explorer

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I haven't used IE in a very long time, except when something opens it by default. I don't like Edge, I use Firefox, and happily.

My business accounting software is QuickBooks... and I got an email from them yesterday telling me that because IE is dead, it's time to upgrade! I am still using QB15, which is fine with me, I don't plan to upgrade it... or give Intuit any more of my money. I do not use any of QB's dynamic (internet) features... I don't do payroll, I don't use it's bill pay or payment services, and I haven't even updated it for about 2 years. All I do is invoice and email invoices off my QB software.

Software is NOT my strong point... so...

Big Question: Is MS going to let IE just lay there, unsupported... or are they going to disable it or remove it from my W10 install?

For those of you familiar with QuickBooks... is this going to kill my access to QB? QB loves to sell you upgrades, and will even pull the suckhead move and disable components of older versions so you HAVE to upgrade. All new versions of QB are cloud-based, and I won't go there... so if my only choice is to upgrade, I'll have to find a different solution.

Edit to add... Firefox is my default browser, does that mean QB opens in FF? Again, software is not my strong point.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I use quicken and the switch to annual subscription is a game to get the best prices each year. as for the browser issue it's mostly an impact to updates for transactions but since edge is basically the same backend it works fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
See, for me the downloads are one of the reasons I bother paying for the software in the first place. I also use Mint for the online version as a backup. Sometimes I get lazy or forget to enter a transaction and the DL catches it. The big feature of the SW though is being able to forecast expenses / balances across multiple accounts. Get to be a real PITA tracking dozens of accounts / due dates and so on.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm just a sole proprietor... I don't have payroll, or budget forecasts. I look at my bank balance and see if there is any money in there... and that's my forecast. ;)

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Then when quickbooks dies I would just use Mint for that sort of simple accounting. When things get complicated by several accounts / types it's more keen to use accounting software.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
IE11 is just being hidden somewhere in Win11. Should work for Win10 too if MS decides to hide it someway in the future.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Then when quickbooks dies I would just use Mint for that sort of simple accounting. When things get complicated by several accounts / types it's more keen to use accounting software.

Well... that's a cloud-based program, and I'm not going there. Further, I still have fairly complicated invoicing. I don't want to have to rely on an internet connection to access my software, etc.

IE11 is just being hidden somewhere in Win11. Should work for Win10 too if MS decides to hide it someway in the future.

I saw that post. I'm just hoping MS just lets it lay there.