Quick question

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't have a lot of use for a 'game recording' program, but have sometimes wanted one. I've heard of fraps as a free option.

But then I see humble has a package including things like a video editor and also including a 'game capture program' ScreenRecorder 3 Deluxe for $30 and wonder if it's a good option.

Unfortunately that sale ends in a few hours. Or are there better options... unlikely to get feedback almost immediately about that program. One user said its .mp4 output wasn't readable by other programs...

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I don't have an answer on the software. Just a warning on being pressured to make a decision before a sale ends. Remember, there will always be another sale......... :)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
What? You never heard of Shadowplay ??

Going on the likelyhood that you have a Nv GPU, although AMD has something similar. Essentially video capture happens directly on your GPU, bypassing the CPU - something fundamental to smooth gameplay; you'll find that FRAPS makes even the most stronk hexacore stutter and will likely result in a severe fps drop ingame.

Shadowplay has two settings: start&record simply outputs to your SSD, circa 3gb for 10min. Or, you play, then you think "that was a good game, i should save it" and with a button you dump on your SSD the last 12 minutes of video - this is stored on the GPU, not the SSD.
So, your GPU will *always* have the last 12 minutes saved.

Processing the file is rather straightforward, i use it as it is in sony vegas, or powerdirector, or whatever the Adobe is called. Generally there is no need to normalize the file.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCNewbie

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
If you have Windows 10, then you can record game footage. No need for another program.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Has anyone actually used the Windows 10 function to record games? There's no way it can be as good as a capture card or proprietary software... could it?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Has anyone actually used the Windows 10 function to record games? There's no way it can be as good as a capture card or proprietary software... could it?
I've used it a few times. It works. Haven't compared it to anything else recently, although I did try the nvidia one a long time ago. Don't notice much difference. One thing I don't like about the Win10 recorder is that it only records the game at 1080p max.