Quick question on .ISO or similiar

freemanteo

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2001
I just downloaded a software with a .EXE, but when i double click it, a small MSDos box appears for a second and disappears, just like a .ISO file.

So what do i do? I changed the file to a .ISO but there is no change. I tried Nero Burn image twice, once .EXE & once .ISO, but my CD-Rs come out blank even though it was burned 100% succesfully.

Please advice, thanks.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
if this is a warezed game, its probably just that, a self-extracting installer, which the cracking group took all the needed files, and edited out all the anti-piracy ones.

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
if this is a warezed game, its probably just that, a self-extracting installer, which the cracking group took all the needed files, and edited out all the anti-piracy ones.

Or loaded a virus into it.

:evil:

freemanteo

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2001
but nothing happens when i double click it, and i tried winiso, it says invalid format image.

please help

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Or loaded a virus into it.
This seems VERY likely to me. Go to Norton's site and use their web scan tool to scan your pc. If you've got a virus, go to www.grisoft.com and download AVG Free edition and remove the virus.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: freemanteo
but nothing happens when i double click it, and i tried winiso, it says invalid format image.

please help

It's probably a corrupt image.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Usually when you click on an .exe file and a command window pops up then goes away it is one of two things:

- The file is a self-extracting archive which contains other files. What happened when the command window popped up briefly was the archive being extracted. The files that were contained in the archive should be sitting in the same directory as the file you downloaded. Did you check there?

- The .exe file is corrupt. Run the program from a command prompt and see if an error message comes up.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
If you can't figure out how to steal whatever it is you're stealing, maybe you shouldn't be stealing it?

freemanteo

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: bozo1
Usually when you click on an .exe file and a command window pops up then goes away it is one of two things:

- The file is a self-extracting archive which contains other files. What happened when the command window popped up briefly was the archive being extracted. The files that were contained in the archive should be sitting in the same directory as the file you downloaded. Did you check there?

- The .exe file is corrupt. Run the program from a command prompt and see if an error message comes up.

There is no files being extracted to my folder.

I run it under command prompt and it says too big to fit in memory.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Nothinman
If you can't figure out how to steal whatever it is you're stealing, maybe you shouldn't be stealing it?

maybe they are just testing the game to see if runs decent for the 40 dollar pricetag

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Sid59
Originally posted by: Nothinman

maybe they are just testing the game to see if runs decent for the 40 dollar pricetag
So following this logic I should steal a car before I buy it.