Quick question about single GTX1070 x16 vs x8 and OC'ing with MSI AfterBurner

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Here's a link from Gamer Nexus reporting a benchtest of the same GTX 1080 card and testbed, measuring the difference between performance with 16 and 8 PCIE 3.0 lanes:

Gamers Nexus 1080 comparison

I hadn't looked into this in enough detail, depending instead on forum-member "skinny" and hearsay that "it doesn't make that much difference." Looking at these scores, they are either within a margin of statistical error, or so insignificant that any concern about a GTX 1070 running with half the PCIE lanes is meaningless anxiety disorder.

I've ironed out all the bugs in my dual-boot system, reinstalled Geforce drivers, and it appears that my overclock settings are rock-solid. At full throttle in gaming or benching, the GPU core hums along at an initial peak of about 2,063/2,050, settling in at 2,038 Mhz and no variation -- a solid, horizontal line. The memory OC is solid at 4,452 Mhz, which is neither cutting-edge-stellar nor under expectation.

Would a change from PCIE 3.0 x16 to x8 in any way require me to retest and adjust my OC settings? Just seeking some extra "good to know" toward my decisions for what to do with PCIE_x16_2, and what to expect will be needing attention afterward.

Maybe I'm becoming a nuisance with my questions, but -- hey -- this one is short!