quick math question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
AP Calc BC.

I think my teacher did this, but got side tracked and never solved it. I have unfinished notes somewhere.

How do u integrate it when dy is being dividded by that? Do you just worry about the right side (dx)?

If you have a book, look up separable differential equations, or most likely just differential equations. I can work through the problem, but I suck at teaching.

From where I left off, we have dy/(y+2) = dx
Now we integrate both sides (each w/ respect to their own variable, either y or x).

We know the integral of dx is x. This is easy. The part you seem to be having problems with is the dy/(y+2). To start, one must know the rule that the integral of 1/x = natural log (ln) of x (ln(x)). Follow so far?

Now, we have to take the integral of 1/(y+2) * dy by using substitution, using the fact that we know what the integral of 1/x equals.

EDIT: wow, did I mess up the equation?

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Got it. It's y + 2, btw. I have ln(y+2) + C = x + C. We're integrating on both sides, right?

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
dy/dx = y + 2 , y(o) = 2

How do I integrate dy/dx when y is inside the derivative? I'm thinking it has something to do with e^x, since it's derivative is itself.

Thanks

You can see right away that it's a separable equation. Put all the y's on one side and all the x's on the others.

In this case:

1/(y + 2) dy = dx
Integrate both sides
For the integral on the right, it should be trivial.

For the integral on the left, you can use a simple substitution if it'll help you visualize it easier.

Let u = y + 2
du = dy

--> 1/(y + 2) dy = 1/u du

Integrating, you get:

ln |u| = x + C
ln |y + 2| = x + C

--> e^(x + C) = y + 2
e^C*e^x = y + 2

Since e^C is just a constant, you can call it D
D*e^x = y + 2

Now, you have your initial condition: y(0) = 2

D*e^0 = y + 2
y = D - 2 = 2
--> D = 4

Therefore, the solution is: y = 4e^x - 2

Assuming of course, I haven't made any silly mistakes...

Edit You posted while I posted. You only need the constant on one side of the equation after you integrate. If you have it on both sides, you can just have one constant absorb the other.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Got it. It's y + 2, btw. I have ln(y+2) + C = x + C. We're integrating on both sides, right?

yup. from there, you should be able to figure it out. Sorry about that, I'm actually doing some vibrating spring problems right now and I got my variables screwed up.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
dy/dx = y + 2 , y(o) = 2

How do I integrate dy/dx when y is inside the derivative? I'm thinking it has something to do with e^x, since it's derivative is itself.

Thanks

You can see right away that it's a separable equation. Put all the y's on one side and all the x's on the others.

In this case:

1/(y + 2) dy = dx
Integrate both sides
For the integral on the right, it should be trivial.

For the integral on the left, you can use a simple substitution if it'll help you visualize it easier.

Let u = y + 2
du = dy

--> 1/(y + 2) dy = 1/u du

Integrating, you get:

ln |u| = x + C
ln |y + 2| = x + C

--> e^(x + C) = y + 2
e^C*e^x = y + 2

Since e^C is just a constant, you can call it D
D*e^x = y + 2

Now, you have your initial condition: y(0) = 2

D*e^0 = y + 2
y = D - 2 = 2
--> D = 4

Therefore, the solution is: y = 4e^x - 2

Assuming of course, I haven't made any silly mistakes...

Can't just give away the answer. Make 'im work for it!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Good luck on your test.

<snickers about a few of the responses in the thread>

Just remember, it's simply a letter. It doesn't matter what the variable is.

integral of dy/(y+2) is no different than the integral of dx/(x+2)