Quick Guide to getting your 4850/4870 up to and running

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
RBE 1.12 released

v.1.12
Added display for GDDR5 (for 4870 and future cards).
Added check for corruption of GDDR5 BIOSes.
Fixed bug with all voltages being "---".
The lock for clock info is now unchecked by default.
Added command line feature for automated BIOS loading.
Added profile editor to edit CCC settings that can not be modified using the CCC.
Added support for 4870 X2 (experimental).
Fixed checked "pre-modified" checkbox on plain 4870 BIOSes.
Added more clock info modes to meet the needs of Radeon mobility BIOSes.
Improved some internal things.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
taltamir
Thanks so much for your helpful info for everyone!
Regarding my card, I'll get a translator to call the shop and ask, as there isn't anything on the shops site about it.
Thanks again

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Do ALL HD4870s currently available have the same flickering bug and other issues? I'm looking at a VisionTek HD4870. Maybe I'd be better off not being an early adopter? Thanks.

I haven't had any problems with my Visiontek 4870, using 8.7 betas.

I had tons of problems with my Visiontek 4850, using 8.6 hotfix.

Grinja

Jul 31, 2007
Does anyone know what the defualt min and max speeds are for the radeon 4870?

I was considering the softmod but I want to be sure I don't fix the speed too low. Also what is a good temp monitoring software for these cards?

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The flicker issue on DVI port 2 is definitely still a problem on the 4850, regardless of driver revision or bios version when using two monitors and overclocking. Hopefully 8.7 will fix that.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
just installed 4870 with 8.6 and hotfix. so far zero flickering.

also runs via the hdmi converter to my 42" panny plasma just fine. am trying to get hdmi audio to work and then test out WIC :D

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Grinja
Does anyone know what the defualt min and max speeds are for the radeon 4870?

I was considering the softmod but I want to be sure I don't fix the speed too low. Also what is a good temp monitoring software for these cards?

According to CCC, 500/810 and 790/1100 - the card is totally stable maxed in CCC. Using AMD's GPU Clock Tool, you can set it to whatever you want. As for temp monitoring, get the latest version of GPU-Z.

Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
is there a way to control the fan speed of the 4870 without a bios hack?

1. Make sure you have Overdrive enabled and MAKE sure your clock and memory settings are correct!!!!
2. Make a New Profile Name it something like fan. I made numerous profiles with different fan speeds so I started off by naming my first one (45 fan). This one is for the fan speed of 45%. Click save profile the activate&close button.
3. Now open up windows explorer and make sure you have the "show hidden files" enabled.
4. Now follow this and find this folder C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\45fan. XML. (the david will be your user name instead of my user name)
5. Now find the file 45 fan.xml
6. Right click and then edit.
7. For only one 4850 card (non crossfire):

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />

The Bold ones above. Change the Automatic to "Manual" and change the 0 to 45"
Then save the file.
Now go back to the CCC and go to profiles and activate the profile 45 Fan.

From http://www.visiontek.com/forum...4b7e15a351c14e3ab84bcf

Works perfectly for me. 50% fan speed gives perfect temps, all below 60ºC when overclocking.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Do ALL HD4870s currently available have the same flickering bug and other issues? I'm looking at a VisionTek HD4870. Maybe I'd be better off not being an early adopter? Thanks.

I haven't had any problems with my Visiontek 4870, using 8.7 betas.

I had tons of problems with my Visiontek 4850, using 8.6 hotfix.

Thanks much. :beer:

isandu

Oct 15, 2007
Hi. I have a HIS HD4850. Just curious, do you lose the card's warranty if you flash it's bios? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but, for example with a motherboard, it's no problem if you do it, you actually have special utilities for that sort of thing included on the CD.
But with a video card I'm not so sure

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: isandu
Hi. I have a HIS HD4850. Just curious, do you lose the card's warranty if you flash it's bios? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but, for example with a motherboard, it's no problem if you do it, you actually have special utilities for that sort of thing included on the CD.
But with a video card I'm not so sure

Yes. You can always flash it back before returning it, but technically it does void the warranty. You also risk bricking the card, and you'll need a second graphics card to boot from to fix the one you bricked.

isandu

Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for the info, I was afraid of that. Well, the only reason I would return it (and the only reason I would need warranty) is if the card stops working, in which case I don't think I will be able to flash the old BIOS back, even with a second graphics card. I'll need to think twice about this. Darn, it sucks to get early revisions with immature bios!

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
There should be BIOS updates as time goes on. Are you looking at flashing to fix the PowerPlay issues (card not downclocking enough in 2D) or to fix the temps / fan speed?

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ss284
The flicker issue on DVI port 2 is definitely still a problem on the 4850, regardless of driver revision or bios version when using two monitors and overclocking. Hopefully 8.7 will fix that.

Is there not a flicker issue on port 1?

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Good guide Taltamir!

LOL reading your guide sure brings back memory of the "good ole days" with the 4850... about 3 and a half weeks ago!! I'm still sitting here waiting for the official Cat 8.7 drivers.

Now here's my philosophy on the 4850 is:

1) MSI bios flash to get it down to 160 Mhz idle
2) use RBE to change pin the fan to a 40% basal level

this is all most people need to do to cool their 4850. Use it for 6 months, then sell it to buy the next wave of cards which hopefully will not cook an egg in 5 seconds. Don't waste your money on buying an aftermarket cooler to overclock it, because all that'll get you is maybe 10-15% gain in core Mhz, which means about 5-7% gain in FPS. So what if you go from 40 fps to 42 fps. Ain't worth dropping $35-$50 for a cooler!

LOL I've my 4850 for 3 and a half weeks now and I've had so stability issues with a couple of my games that I've given up gaming all together for now... and hope that Cat 8.7 will solve my issues! My only good experience with the 4850 is that I got it for $150 @ BB without rebate, and I used my $85 BB giftcard! Otherwise, I would prolly be more pissed sitting on hardware I can't use. lol

isandu

Oct 15, 2007
There should be BIOS updates as time goes on. Are you looking at flashing to fix the PowerPlay issues (card not downclocking enough in 2D) or to fix the temps / fan speed?

I am only concerned about the PowerPlay issues. I am not concerned about the temps, if the manufacturer says the GPU should hold at those temps, then I don't really care how high it goes. And anyway, if I wish I can fix the temps and fan speed issues by editing the xml of a profile. There I can also edit the GPU clock and voltage (for idle, medium and high load), and it works if I set the frequencies to anything higher than 500MHz (but probably lower than 700MHz), but I can't make the card go below 500MHz, it will simply ignore it. Also, while watching the gpu current clock "live" in ATI Overdrive or GPU-Z, I noticed the card jumps to full clock speed quite often, even when I only move some large windows on the desktop (or opening, minimizing, maximazing windows etc). I do have a high resolution (1920x1200), but still, even integrated Intel graphics could handle moving windows smoothly at that resolution, so I am concerned that the card eats considerably more power in 2D than it needs to.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fastman

From the limited testing of me and a couple other people who run dual monitors, this seems to be the case. Overclocking even 5 mhz causes the problem on DVI port 2 when using dual monitors. This is on a visiontek 4850. More input from anyone with two monitors would be appreciated.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Originally posted by: fastman

From the limited testing of me and a couple other people who run dual monitors, this seems to be the case. Overclocking even 5 mhz causes the problem on DVI port 2 when using dual monitors. This is on a visiontek 4850. More input from anyone with two monitors would be appreciated.

I have the visiontek. I was getting a flicker every time I start Assassin's Creed. This is on port 1, and I only have one LCD, 20" @ 1600x1200. None of the drivers: 8.6, 8.6 hotfix, 8.7 beta... fixed it. This was on WinXP sp2.

I have since installed Vista 32bit Ultimate fresh, using 8.6 drivers, and this fixed the flickering. But I dont know if Vista fixed it, or simply "cleanly" intalling the 8.6 drivers fresh from scratch. However, I think it was just a drivers issue (not an OS issue) because there was a brief time that I was not getting this flicker under XP. Anyway, I think I'll just stick with Vista.

However, under Vista, I noticed that AC's graphic looks better, probably due to the DX 10 effects, but framerate also has dropped! When I pan around in AC in a 360-degree style, with other characters walking around me, then I notice there are stuttering and the panning is definitely not as smooth as it was under XP. But I'm ok with this.

I think the biggest issue with the 4850 now is drivers stability, at least for me. I got the temperature problem figured out to my satisfaction. I don't use dual monitor so I guess I'm not yet concerned about the port 2 flickering, and I'll probably won't worry about it because I'll probably fleaby this card before I'll run dual monitor.

RVale1

Jul 17, 2008
I've experienced the flickering the second DVI port as well. Actually, for that matter, I /can't/ get either DVI port to work, only VGA. That aside, it does flicker when powerplay downclocks the 4850 to 160. Once it's back up to 625, there is no flicker.

Perhaps the clock, at 160, is too low to support both monitors?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: RVale1
I've experienced the flickering the second DVI port as well. Actually, for that matter, I /can't/ get either DVI port to work, only VGA. That aside, it does flicker when powerplay downclocks the 4850 to 160. Once it's back up to 625, there is no flicker.

Perhaps the clock, at 160, is too low to support both monitors?

Could be. Also, I've heard some speculation that running the core that low leads to overvolting the GPU, but I haven't seen any sort of confirmation on it. Try setting the low end to 250 or 300 and see if it gets better.

Originally posted by: isandu

I am only concerned about the PowerPlay issues. I am not concerned about the temps, if the manufacturer says the GPU should hold at those temps, then I don't really care how high it goes. And anyway, if I wish I can fix the temps and fan speed issues by editing the xml of a profile. There I can also edit the GPU clock and voltage (for idle, medium and high load), and it works if I set the frequencies to anything higher than 500MHz (but probably lower than 700MHz), but I can't make the card go below 500MHz, it will simply ignore it. Also, while watching the gpu current clock "live" in ATI Overdrive or GPU-Z, I noticed the card jumps to full clock speed quite often, even when I only move some large windows on the desktop (or opening, minimizing, maximazing windows etc). I do have a high resolution (1920x1200), but still, even integrated Intel graphics could handle moving windows smoothly at that resolution, so I am concerned that the card eats considerably more power in 2D than it needs to.

Ah, I was also considering flashing to lower the 2D clocks, but I held off due to someone over at the VisionTek forums talking about the overvolting. I think that there is something you have to disable to get the clocks correct if you flash it, maybe Overdrive in CCC, maybe CCC itself, I don't remember.

I've also noticed the random switching in clocks when using Windows. I hope this is another bios issue that they will fix at some point since there is absolutely no reason for it to be doing that.

Also, you may want to give AMD's GPU Clock tool a shot to see if you can force lower clocks or are still pinned at the 500MHz barrier.

RVale1

Jul 17, 2008
It does seem to overvolt the GPU. From what I've seen either .94 or .98 is enough to cover the 160/500 core.

As for the flickering issue, I think what occurs is that powerplay switches between 2d and 3d rapidly. Found that just plain going from 2d, at 500 core, to 3d causes the flicker on the 2nd DVI port. However, the 500 core seems to cover any 2d program, whereas 160 can't. Still don't know if it's a driver issue or BIOS.

drinklime

Dec 26, 2005
How low is the clock supposed to go idling in windows? Mine goes to 500/750 i think

(im using 2 displays, if that matters)

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
i would guess ati will be giving us a more efficient 2d idle as well as better fan control ramping up