Quick cabling questions about linksys router setup on cable modem

kehi

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Hey guys I am finally getting cable this friday:D Anyways, I have a linksys router and I was wondering what type of cat5 cable do I need (straight through or cross over) to connect the cable modem to the router. ( I think I will do this thorugh the uplink port but I am not sure). Also, what kind of cable do I need to connect the routers other ports to the nics in seprate boxes?? Thanks for the help and take care

Rkonster

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000
If you use the uplink port, it is my understanding that you can use a normal cable. A crossover would kind of defeat the purpose. The boxes connect to the ports on the router via a normal cable as well.

I have a linksys dsl setup, and am using no crossover cables.

kehi

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Thanks for the help. Should I connect the cable from the cable modem to the uplink port or does it hook to a regular port on the router??

flippinfleck

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2000
What router did you say you had? Linksys? There should be a wan port that you would connect the cable modem to. No need for crossover cable, straight through patch cable will work wonders! Heck, the modem may even come supplied with a patch cable. My DSL modem did anyways.

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Yea, follow what flippinfleck said. There should be a WAN port on the back of that router. You can use straight-through cable for that as well as for your connections to the NICS on the computers hooked up to the router. Hope this helps.