quick baseball question about the sacrifice fly...

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
hey,

when someone hits a sac fly, example: guy on third and he hits it to RF and the man on base tags up and scores, does that count as an at-bat? TIA

Aceman

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
that is an atbat, an out, and a rbi. Thus equalling what is called a Sacrifice RBI. He sacrificed himself while at bat to get an RBI for the team. If the run does or does not score has no bearing on a caught fly ball being counted as an At Bat

though, wehat really matters right now is that the Twins should win their game. It would take a miracle for the Indians to come back from a 2102 decicit and the Mariners need to wake up and beat the White Sox.

Cerebus451

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
no, sacrifice flies and sacrifice hits (aka bunts) are NOT counted as at bats.

At bat = hit, out (not a sacrifice), reach on error, reach on fielder's choice
plate appearance = at bat, walk, sacrifice, HBP

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< no, sacrifice flies and sacrifice hits (aka bunts) are NOT counted as at bats.

>>

Errors don't count as at bats... i'm sure on that one

lllJRlll

Mar 12, 2002

<< no, sacrifice flies and sacrifice hits (aka bunts) are NOT counted as at bats.

>>

What Cerebus said is correct.It's an rbi but not an official at bat

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
I don't believe that it's an at-bat. If a fly ball scores a run, you get credited with an RBI but not an 0 for 1 at the plate. If you bunt a man over, same thing, except not always an RBI.

BuckleDownBen

Banned
Jun 11, 2001
An error is an at-bat if the batter would have made an out had the error not occured. So if you hit a ground ball and the shortstop boots it, the you are 0 for 1. Sacrifices, walks, and hit by pitch are all not at bats.

I can't believe the amount of bad info in this thread.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< no, sacrifice flies and sacrifice hits (aka bunts) are NOT counted as at bats. >>

And that is why the sac fly is the most beautiful play in sports. You help the team, and are not penalized.

Cerebus451

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000

<< Errors don't count as at bats... i'm sure on that one >>

Actually, they do count as at bats. An at bat without a hit. I can't find a page that describes what constitutes an at bat, but this page has a description of a plate appearance, which is At-Bats + Bases on Balls + Hit By Pitcher + Sacrifice Hits + Sacrifice Flies + Times Reached on Defensive Interference. If you subtract off everything else, then an at-bat is a hit, reached on an error, reach on a fielders choice, or produced an out that was not a sacrifice.

<< An error is an at-bat if the batter would have made an out had the error not occured. >>

That is a little more precise. If the batter reaches base on an error, it is an at bat without a hit. If the batter takes an extra base because of an error, it is an at bat, a hit, and an error.

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
thanks guys, i was just checking my fantasy team and noticed a guy had just hit a sac fly and was not charged with an atbat, wasn't sure about it though cause yahoo doesn't always keep the stats up to date...thanks again

go A's! not today though, :p

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
hmmmm... i never knew that... maybe if i was really paying attention to box scores i'd have figured it out.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
I know that's the rule, but it's really kinda bullsh|t.

Batter hits routine fly to right with bases empty = an at bat.
Batter hits exactly the same fly to right and man on second goes to third = no at bat.

joeryu

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000

Ok there is a LOT of misleading information in this thread...let me clear things up

1.) sac fly isnt a sac fly unless someone scores...so if they just tag to third then its an at bat, guy is 0 for 1.
2.) if runner scores from the fly ball then batter is 0 for 0, no at bat, just rbi.
3.) if defense makes error, you are 0 for 1, you get at bat, and its just like grounding out/flying out.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< Ok there is a LOT of misleading information in this thread...let me clear things up

1.) sac fly isnt a sac fly unless someone scores...so if they just tag to third then its an at bat, guy is 0 for 1.
2.) if runner scores from the fly ball then batter is 0 for 0, no at bat, just rbi.
3.) if defense makes error, you are 0 for 1, you get at bat, and its just like grounding out/flying out.
>>

That's correct!! Ding ding ding ding ding

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

<< 2.) if runner scores from the fly ball then batter is 0 for 0, no at bat, just rbi. >>

So a batter could have a number of Runs Batted In, without ever having been at bat. Hmmm.

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<<

<< 2.) if runner scores from the fly ball then batter is 0 for 0, no at bat, just rbi. >>

So a batter could have a number of Runs Batted In, without ever having been at bat. Hmmm.
>>

Yep, but he would still accumulate plate apperances making his on base percentage a triple goose egg (.000). ;)

If it happens early in the season, it can bring up one of the rare scenarios where a player has a higher batting average than OBP.
Say his first time up is a sac fly. (BA - null, OBP - .000)
2nd is an out. (BA - .000, OBP - .000)
3rd is a single. (BA - .500, OBP - .333)

CKDragon

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001

<< I can't believe the amount of bad info in this thread. >>

Why not? It's threads like these that make you remember what sector of life the majority of ATers are from. :p

I'm a college ump, a sac fly does not count as an At Bat. As far as errors in general, I'm glad I'm not a stat keeper, too subjective. :D

CK