Quick ? about Panaflo fan

borgmang

Jun 27, 2003
I just got a Panaflo L1A 92mm fan to go with my SLK900U heatsink and the fan has 3 bare wires on the end. Do I just have to add a 3 pin connector to the bare wires? And will it work as a RPM monitoring fan once I add the connector and plug it into the mobo? I have the ASUS P4C800-E board.

borgmang

Jun 27, 2003
Originally posted by: borgmang
I just got a Panaflo L1A 92mm fan to go with my SLK900U heatsink and the fan has 3 bare wires on the end. Do I just have to add a 3 pin connector to the bare wires? And will it work as a RPM monitoring fan once I add the connector and plug it into the mobo? I have the ASUS P4C800-E board.

Bump

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
yes, splice it onto a 3-pin wire connector....but you may want to check the voltage on it to make sure you won't blow out to mobo connection.

borgmang

Jun 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Necrolezbeast
yes, splice it onto a 3-pin wire connector....but you may want to check the voltage on it to make sure you won't blow out to mobo connection.

Where can I get the 3 pin connector or a tail that I can just replace. And how do I check the voltage?

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
1) A 92mm L1A will not blow out your MoBo fan headers. They are very low power fans.

2) Normal Panaflos do not have RPM monitoring capabilities. Unless you got a special L1A (whose part number ends in "bx", such as " FBA09A12L1ABX") with RPM monitoring capabilities you may as well not plug it into the MoBo, just tail it with a regular 4-pin Molex connecter and plug it into your PSU wiring loom.

3) You can get 3-pin (or 4-pin) premade Panaflo tails from Heatsinkfactory.com for 99¢ or from Casecooler.com for $1.00. There's many other places that sell them too.

4) The voltage of a normal L1A is 12V. You can tell what it's default voltage is by looking at it's part number. If there's a "12" after the "FBA09A" it's 12V. If there's a "24" after tha "FBA09A", it's 24V.

borgmang

Jun 27, 2003
Originally posted by: RalfHutter
1) A 92mm L1A will not blow out your MoBo fan headers. They are very low power fans.

2) Normal Panaflos do not have RPM monitoring capabilities. Unless you got a special L1A (whose part number ends in "bx", such as " FBA09A12L1ABX") with RPM monitoring capabilities you may as well not plug it into the MoBo, just tail it with a regular 4-pin Molex connecter and plug it into your PSU wiring loom.

3) You can get 3-pin (or 4-pin) premade Panaflo tails from Heatsinkfactory.com for 99¢ or from Casecooler.com for $1.00. There's many other places that sell them too.

4) The voltage of a normal L1A is 12V. You can tell what it's default voltage is by looking at it's part number. If there's a "12" after the "FBA09A" it's 12V. If there's a "24" after tha "FBA09A", it's 24V.

RalfHutter, I took your advice from about 2 weeks ago and got the Panaflo from DigiKey and they are the BX-RPM monitoring fans. I will go ahead and order the tails. I would like to get another fan from Frys tommorrow so I can set my system up before my 7 days runs out on my CPU DOA return. This fan would only be temporary until I get the Panaflo tails. Can you tell me some RPM fans that I could pickup at Frys that would work? I need to do this tomorrow - please help. Thanks in advance.

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Well if this fan will be temporary them who cares if it has RPM monitoring or what kind it is. Just get the cheapest one you can that will fit on the heatsink and use it to test the CPU. Just visually look to see if the fan is spinning and if you get some cheapo fan don't OC until you get the Panaflo if you want to be safe.

If you have a properly fitted heatsink and at least some airflow, nothing is going to fry, but I'm not responsible if you do something wrong. :)

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
What nebula said.

If you're using a P4 you don't have to worry about frying your CPU anyway. They're thermally protected and will just throttle themselves back in the event of a cooling system failure. The 92mm L1A "BX" that I just put on my P4 2.4C is the first RPM monitoring fan I've ever actually used on one of my own P4 rigs. I've always used regular 80mm L1A or M1A fans w/o any monitoring capabilities and never worried about it. I've always had MBM configured to shut down my box if the temp goes over 70°C.