Question Questions on my 3950x

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
Hello everyone 1st post here,

i bought like less than a month ago a full new build with a ryzen 9 3950x and an x570 aorus master mobo, Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 for cooling and G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz cl16 as memory (so you know the setup in case it might come from there)
I don't really want to do an overclock or else, but looking at HWiNFO64 & Ryzen master, i don't see any core going above 4.2ghz

what's even weirder, stock/default config is better than pbo or auto overclock even with the 200mhz, i don't understand xD i'm a developper, im into computer but not heavy background in hardware so i might miss something

ill include later more screen if needed, only including actual "settings" so you can tell me if you spot anything weird (sorry if french bother you there is no config option to change that and i didnt want to reinstall for screenshots :p)

i'm not looking for 4.7ghz on all core or specifically to see a 4.7, but best i could reach was like 4.5 when doing "game mode" which disable one CCD, but nothing more ... that feel strange to me, i tested many things and i can't get that out of my head, so feel free to tell me what you think !

Attachments

• HWinfo.png
    HWinfo.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 28
  • RM_Profile.png
    RM_Profile.png
    727.2 KB · Views: 26
  • RM_Profile_Test.png
    RM_Profile_Test.png
    602.3 KB · Views: 20

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Grochtek

You'll almost never see 4.7 GHz unless you run a ST workload. What applications have you been running on your system? BTW I have the same motherboard, so I might be able to help you squeeze a little more MT performance out of the chip in default mode without overclocking anything. Let me know if you're interested.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hello everyone 1st post here,

i bought like less than a month ago a full new build with a ryzen 9 3950x and an x570 aorus master mobo, Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 for cooling and G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz cl16 as memory (so you know the setup in case it might come from there)
I don't really want to do an overclock or else, but looking at HWiNFO64 & Ryzen master, i don't see any core going above 4.2ghz

what's even weirder, stock/default config is better than pbo or auto overclock even with the 200mhz, i don't understand xD i'm a developper, im into computer but not heavy background in hardware so i might miss something

ill include later more screen if needed, only including actual "settings" so you can tell me if you spot anything weird (sorry if french bother you there is no config option to change that and i didnt want to reinstall for screenshots :p)

i'm not looking for 4.7ghz on all core or specifically to see a 4.7, but best i could reach was like 4.5 when doing "game mode" which disable one CCD, but nothing more ... that feel strange to me, i tested many things and i can't get that out of my head, so feel free to tell me what you think !
I would also run cinebench or any other simple and free benchmark software, and if it's more or less aligned with the stock scores you find in legit reviews (AnandTech, Hardwareunboxed, GamersNexus etc.), then it's just the monitoring software's shortcomings.

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
@Grochtek

You'll almost never see 4.7 GHz unless you run a ST workload. What applications have you been running on your system? BTW I have the same motherboard, so I might be able to help you squeeze a little more MT performance out of the chip in default mode without overclocking anything. Let me know if you're interested.

Yeah i'm always interested ^^

Have you installed the chipset drivers?

yes obviously, i installed "mb_driver_606_asetup_19.20.28_whql" from drivercloud which looked like to be chipset driver, computer rebooted automatically after installing it the first time

I tried Cinebench single core and max is as screenshotted in HWiNFO and i keep it started from windows startup so it can "record" highest values, that's why i've been surprised to no see a single value above 4.2

but in a gaming scenario i was wondering if i should not see some few cores that should go a bit higher ?

Last edited:

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
well, apparently it wasn't, now my computer doesn't boot into windows anymore, even restoring the previous point i created just before this update doesn't work ...

well lets go for another windows install i think X_x

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
well, apparently it wasn't, now my computer doesn't boot into windows anymore, even restoring the previous point i created just before this update doesn't work ...

well lets go for another windows install i think X_x
That is just flat out weird... :-(
I feel for you, man

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah i'm always interested ^^

Okay, just keep this in mind for the future:

First, you want to disable LLC, or set it to LLC0 (basically, turning it off). You've find it under the CPU/VRM settings in the Tweaker menu. Set it to Normal. Do not use Auto. There's one for CPU and SoC.

Then you want to try voltage offsets. Under Tweaker, you need to change CPU vcore from Auto to Normal, which unlocks the offsets. Set a negative offset of down to -.1v, though some do not like to go that low. A few use positive offsets but I did not find those to be too helpful on my 3900x. You can experiment, just don't try very high positive offsets.

In any case, my recommended settings cause your CPU to get less voltage, which often tricks the boost algorithm into hitting higher MT clocks. Then once you get the proper chipset drivers installed, switch to the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan. Compare your Cinebench R20 MT scores with and without the LLC/voltage offset tweaks. If your score goes higher, congrats! It worked. If not then your 3950x is reacting differently to the changes than my 3900x. But in most cases, I've found that these tweaks work on every other Matisse out there (and again, a few people swear by positive voltage offsets as high as +.05v . . . not sure if I would try that on a 3950x though).

yes obviously, i installed "mb_driver_606_asetup_19.20.28_whql" from drivercloud which looked like to be chipset driver, computer rebooted automatically after installing it the first time

The correct file is:

I tried Cinebench single core and max is as screenshotted in HWiNFO and i keep it started from windows startup so it can "record" highest values, that's why i've been surprised to no see a single value above 4.2

That's abnormal. I usually get Core #3 to ramp up to 4575 MHz on a 3900x running Cinebench R15 or R20 in ST mode. And that reduced clock is due to my voltage tweaks (it does reduce ST clockspeed by maybe 25-50 MHz depending on the scenario with slight loss of performance while boosting MT considerably).

but in a gaming scenario i was wondering if i should not see some few cores that should go a bit higher ?

Depends on the game. You should see sustained clocks of around 4.3 GHz or maybe slightly higher if the game uses four or more cores.

Oops. Try to get those chipset drivers working correctly and go from there.

Last edited:

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
ok im still reinstalling everything but cinebench doesnt go higher than 4.2ghz still on hwinfo for a single core test, cant quote everyone but thanks for the answers i still read them on my phone x)

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
I see your minimum and maximum voltage is closer together than on my system, did you have the Balanced power plan selected in windows?
This is just a screenshot without running a benchmark and starting a few programs.

Attachments

• HWinfoCore0Clock.jpg
    HWinfoCore0Clock.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 16

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
I see your minimum and maximum voltage is closer together than on my system, did you have the Balanced power plan selected in windows?
This is just a screenshot without running a benchmark and starting a few programs.

no i use AMD Ryzen High Performance

this is hw info after cinebench single core and ryzen master test after the fresh reinstall

Attachments

• HWinfo_after_reinstall.png
    HWinfo_after_reinstall.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 17

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
I'm using balanced, if that wasn't clear :)

edit but for some reason I cannot change the power plan (apply greyed out)

Last edited:

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
Okay, just keep this in mind for the future:

First, you want to disable LLC, or set it to LLC0 (basically, turning it off). You've find it under the CPU/VRM settings in the Tweaker menu. Set it to Normal. Do not use Auto. There's one for CPU and SoC.

Then you want to try voltage offsets. Under Tweaker, you need to change CPU vcore from Auto to Normal, which unlocks the offsets. Set a negative offset of down to -.1v, though some do not like to go that low. A few use positive offsets but I did not find those to be too helpful on my 3900x. You can experiment, just don't try very high positive offsets.

In any case, my recommended settings cause your CPU to get less voltage, which often tricks the boost algorithm into hitting higher MT clocks. Then once you get the proper chipset drivers installed, switch to the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan. Compare your Cinebench R20 MT scores with and without the LLC/voltage offset tweaks. If your score goes higher, congrats! It worked. If not then your 3950x is reacting differently to the changes than my 3900x. But in most cases, I've found that these tweaks work on every other Matisse out there (and again, a few people swear by positive voltage offsets as high as +.05v . . . not sure if I would try that on a 3950x though).

The correct file is:

That's abnormal. I usually get Core #3 to ramp up to 4575 MHz on a 3900x running Cinebench R15 or R20 in ST mode. And that reduced clock is due to my voltage tweaks (it does reduce ST clockspeed by maybe 25-50 MHz depending on the scenario with slight loss of performance while boosting MT considerably).

Depends on the game. You should see sustained clocks of around 4.3 GHz or maybe slightly higher if the game uses four or more cores.

Oops. Try to get those chipset drivers working correctly and go from there.

ok i'll test that later tonight, and now i use the "correct" chipset, but i don't see any major difference atm :/

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
does Balanced go higher on the voltage ? :eek:
It doesn't stay there, hence no power/temp problem. It cannot be compared to a manual overclock with a fixed voltage of 1.5V hence a heat problem, hence reduced lifetime.

Did you disable some power modes in the bios?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe some screenshots or clarification of other settings in the uEFI that were monkey'd with. Some PBO settings in the uEFI do nothing, but will kill it in Ryzen Master also.

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
It doesn't stay there, hence no power/temp problem. It cannot be compared to a manual overclock with a fixed voltage of 1.5V hence a heat problem, hence reduced lifetime.

No actually everything is in full auto, only verified that pbo was active or at least auto, but ill check after

i struggle with my reinstall , i had other issues (reinstalled a lot of things and 2h later, reboot, then windows boot was broke again), i could restore and image i did the 28th december at least, because all felt "stable" event though i have the frequency problem and not sure which chipset driver it was, ill check with aida or another tool for the chipset version before reinstalling the one from amd which crash my boot

ill do pictures of my bios in like 30mins, not sure if i can screenshot it or if i need to take pictures with my phone for that

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
No actually everything is in full auto, only verified that pbo was active or at least auto, but ill check after

i struggle with my reinstall , i had other issues (reinstalled a lot of things and 2h later, reboot, then windows boot was broke again), i could restore and image i did the 28th december at least, because all felt "stable" event though i have the frequency problem and not sure which chipset driver it was, ill check with aida or another tool for the chipset version before reinstalling the one from amd which crash my boot

ill do pictures of my bios in like 30mins, not sure if i can screenshot it or if i need to take pictures with my phone for that
Its almost souding like you have a hard drive problem. I did not see that listed. If its a NVME drive, does it have a heatsink ?

Reactions: Drazick

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
Its almost souding like you have a hard drive problem. I did not see that listed. If its a NVME drive, does it have a heatsink ?

it have the heatsink of the aorus master on it but nothing more :eek:

yeah i bought a nvme sabrent rocket pcie 4.0 1to so that my system and some fast games could be on it and its on the 1st nvme slot which is above gpu and below cpu if i remember correctly

edit: ok i looked and no its not the official sabrent heatsink, but i already saw some 5000m/s disk bench in my setup and i didnt change anything since and it never crashed during disk benchs, do you think it would be that random and at startup ?

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I was only worried that the temps on the NVME might be high if it had no heatsink. Very high temps can; get it to shut down or give read errors or both. If it has a heatsink, you a re probably fine. Just trying to think why you are having these problems.

Reactions: Drazick

Grochtek

Jan 4, 2020
I was only worried that the temps on the NVME might be high if it had no heatsink. Very high temps can; get it to shut down or give read errors or both. If it has a heatsink, you a re probably fine. Just trying to think why you are having these problems.

ah ok x)

so back on my old install, dunno what can i show you, i have some rev number in aida but i can't compare to the official amd chipset driver, and i don't understand how/why it break my installation

i'll do a reboot to screenshot power features as requested