Questions before installing XP

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Im currently running Win2k and I want to go over to XP. I have the Pro version and I'm not sure if I should just upgrade or if I should do a reformat/install. I have my OS on a seperate drive so I could get rid of 2k and install XP, but I dont really feel like having to install all of my software over again. I know you shouldnt do an upgrade like Win98 -> Win2k because you dont get all of the benifits out of 2k in terms of stability(or so I was told). But does the same hold true for Win2k -> WinXP?
thanks,
-doug

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
The same holds true any time you "upgrade" instead of doing a clean install. When you upgrade, it'll overwrite some files but occationally it'll leave some legacy files there that you either don't need at all or will make the os unstable. I've never had a huge problem upgrading PCs from win98 to Win2k but generally if I can, I'll do a clean install.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
so my question now is, is it worth the hassle to reformat and reinstall? Or is it ok to go from 2k -> XP?
thanks,
-doug

stingbandel

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2000
It's not that hassle to actually to reformat and do a clean install.

I think it's ok to go to WinXP if you have the final version which according to people on here already out. If you are using the eval one then I think you should just wait.

Darno

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
It isnt a question of whether or not to go with XP, it is just a question of if I should do a fresh install or an upgrade. I know it isnt a huge hassel but Im sure I'll have to install a lot of software. Stuff like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Office, most of my games. And if I can avoid that by upgrading I'd like to. Any thoughts?
thanks,
-doug

Xray

Oct 9, 1999
Everytime I have upgraded a system to a new OS with out doing a clean install I was sorry.

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
If you're asking us if it's worth the risk, that's totally up to you. If you'd ask me, I wouldn't risk it. I'd bet you'd have to re-install some of that stuff anyway because sometimes software apps "break" when you do an upgrade.

So just don't be lazy and do the clean install.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Ok, you're right. Best way would be a new drive, but Im a poor college student, so that isnt an option.
thanks,
-doug

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
Look at it this way, what's a few extra hours setting up your system when you probably won't have to screw around fixing stuff that doesn't work anymore. Plus, you never have to worry that you have some legacy code in there.

To me, those extra hours are worth it if I know I don't have to screw with reinstalling for a long time.

And yeah, I'm a poor college student too. I know how it is with just one small HDD. ;)

rommel

Banned
Jan 23, 2001
i vote for the clean install....plus i am sure you ahve crap taht youve deleted or programs you have unistalled in teh past that have left their mark...this will get rid of all that stuff adn you will always see better performance from a fresh install

stingbandel

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2000

<< It isnt a question of whether or not to go with XP, it is just a question of if I should do a fresh install or an upgrade. I know it isnt a huge hassel but Im sure I'll have to install a lot of software. Stuff like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Office, most of my games. And if I can avoid that by upgrading I'd like to. Any thoughts?
thanks,
-doug
>>

sorry I was sleepy when answering your question. I think it's better to do a fresh install.

Darno

Thanks2C

May 10, 2001
I, personally, did an upgrade last week from Windows 98. It went very well from what I expected. It took a day or two to get my sound working, but that would have happened with a regular install as well since the settings weren't right. I had to reinstall maybe like 3 programs, which took like 5 minutes. Other than that the only thing that isn't working is my webcam, but that's because of the drivers...

XP is stable as an ox and very fast. It rebooted on me once, for some stupid reason... I'll figure out why sometime hopefully. I don't think you should have any problems upgrading from Win2k if I upgraded from 98!

Dogma

Sep 14, 2001
You should always do a fresh install on a newly formatted drive.

If you use any windows product, accept the responsibility that goes along with it: Accept the obvious...

that at anytime you may have to reformat and start over. Always have a plan for re-installing everything at anytime. This could be a big problem if you don't, because you never, never know when your Windows OS will crap out on you.

Anytime I hear the phrase--

I really don't want to start over, I have too many programs to reinstall

--I just grimace, because this operating system was meant to be reinstalled over and over. The only exceptions are servers (at least you hope so) and business Win2k machines, as, if people leave them alone after installing all base needed software, and only open files and save them...they are pretty reliable.

So, if you just want to install an OS once, and be happy, go for it, there must be someone still with 3.1 that is happy where they are....(do you get the picture?)

****Although to be nice, if you are happy with Win2k, just download a theme that makes it look like XP....won't be the same, but not worth upgrading at this time.