Solved! Questions about upgrading to SSDs

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
When mirroring the current HDD to the new SSD must they be the same capacity? I have a 1TB HDD with the OS and program files and they only take up 145GB. I'd like to clone or rmirror that to a 480GB SSD and make that the boot drive and then reformat the 1TB HDD to use as storage and make that an E: or F: drive. Is there a free software that will accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thank you in advance.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
It used to be "the new disk must be equal or more than the old disk", don't know how it is now.
A way around it is to use a tool like gparted to shrink the old disk to less than the new disk and then clone it. You can also try disk management in windows to shrink the (main) partition but good luck with that.

I used "MiniTool Partition Wizard" with success 2 times in the last two years, the free version.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
What brand and model is the SSD?

If this is a new SSD, they normally include software to clone the hard drive over to the SSD. That software (if anything decent) ought to work in your situation.

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
The SSD is a Mushkin Source - II 480GB. I've already downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard free. I've read good things about it. This SSD will be going into a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop so I've been doing a lot of research - why do some manufacturers make upgrading so difficult??? ArisVer, will MiniTool allow me to shrink the current HDD as you described? I haven't dug into it yet. The current HDD is 1TB but when I check it it only shows 145GB of data and programs, but I'm sure there's a lot more I can't see. Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Steltek, when I get the SSD I'll see what software is included and let you know. Should have it Monday, or Tuesday at the latest. Folks, much thanks for your input and assistance.

Last edited:

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
First, you should make a backup of your files. Do not try to clone the disk without a backup. If your backup fails (which happens sometimes) you might loose all your files.

Second, I've looked in the Mushkin website and did not see any software, but don't worry about it much.

Third, I've checked MiniTool and it has a resize function. Right click on the large partition and hit resize. A new Windows pops up and you can move the slider to the left. Keep it under 450GB so it can fit in your new SSD. Then clone the old disk to the new one. After this is done, extend the partition of the SSD to it's full length. This is what I would have done.
Good luck, and when you install the program, be careful as it tries to install the McAfee program, just uncheck it's box during the install process.

There could be a program that can clone the disk and resize it automatically, but I am not familiar with any.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
Follow up post.
It looks like you don't have to go through the dirty process I described above. MiniTool can resize the disk for you. You have to choose the "Migrate OS to SSD" option. I have found a nice youtube guide for you.

Reactions: msbettyhunt

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
ArisVer, thank you so much! That helps put my mind at ease a bit. I used to build my own rigs but that was quite awhile ago The last one I built was 2004! Things have changed dramatically and I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks again!:smiley::beermug:

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
Folks, got the SSD today and ArisVer you were correct no software included but no problem - I've downloaded MiniTool and that will work just fine. Had to track down the Dell specific SSD caddies and SSD power cable for my particular model. So I'll get those ordered tonight and hopefully will get everything up and running sometime next week. Thanks again for everyone's help and input and the You Tube video was great!

Last edited:
Reactions: msbettyhunt

msbettyhunt

Oct 22, 2019
The MiniTool partition wizard is really a good idea to resize the disk. This thread gives me a thought to resize my HDD disk too. And yes, the video is really very helpful in the whole process. Thanks

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
msbettyhunt, that's why I've enjoyed this forum for the past twenty years! Despite the few knuckleheads you might encounter, the vast majority of folks here just want to help. I hope you enjoy your membership here! It's a great forum and always has been!

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
Okay folks, stayed up rather late but got the SSD installed and my original C: drive cloned last night/this morning. First time didn't seem to take, but second time around and was good to go. Switched the data cables between the original 1TB HDD and the new 480GB SSD so the SSD is the boot drive now, formatted the old HDD to wipe it clean and we're up and running. Computer boots up noticeably quicker and programs open quicker too! Thanks for the help folks! Depending on finances might look at upgrading the CPU next.;)

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is the i3 tower for $99? I wouldn't honestly bother going to the expense of upgrading the CPU in that tower. Start saving for a newer, 6-core and up PC. (You can only upgrade that PC to a 4C/8T CPU, possibly, depending on your OEM BIOS updates.)

OEM rigs weren't usually really designed to have their CPUs upgraded, over an above what that line of PCs shipped with initially. The reasoning is, the OEMs don't want to re-qualify that line of PCs for a newer generation of CPUs, so they don't bother.

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
VirtualLarry, yes same one. This rig should be able to take a 6th gen i7. But, you make a lot of sense so I'm not gonna worry about the CPU unless I can find an i7-6700 for a
crazy cheap price. It's running noticeably quicker as it sits now, especially on bootup. Thanks for the help!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I'll just leave this for anyone who may run into this thread in the future.

If you have a few factors in hand, it's a great idea to simply fresh install Windows with a new SSD for a whole host of reasons.

A fresh install of a newly created feature update will always be tighter/tidier than an upgraded version.

OEMs like Dell *love* to drown the poor things in needless junkware and fluff that is of little use, and just takes up space. They also partition their drives in an odd way that wastes some disk space, sort of a holdover to the really old days.

You can create a fresh W10 disk from MS website using an 8GB or higher flash drive. This will currently be v1909. Upon installation, you will be able to connect to the internet and get almost every driver as an automatic update. The only exception is sometimes trackpad drivers or SD readers, which can be sourced from the IC MFG (like TI or Synaptics), or from Dell themselves.

Reactions: Steltek

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Obviously in this case you'd want to have a checklist before you began to make sure you had the desired software at hand, along with a way to swap back in your data/bookmarks when done.

But in the end, you'll have one contiguous partition without wasted space/goofy extra partitions, and no extra crapware even in trace form (eg; 'Dell Support and it's executables and service). Every little bit helps.

In fact outside of rare exceptions, when I get a new OEM PC for work or client, I go ahead and clean wipe/reinstall. UEFI picks up your windows license automatically.

With a new SSD and most systems from the past half decade+, the whole reinstall takes minutes.

Reactions: Steltek