Questions about the WMC Green-button Remote Controls

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've been using the same Windows MC Green-button remote control for maybe seven years. Sometime way back when, I panicked because I thought I had "lost" the remote. So in the context of a parts-order, I purchased a second one -- which is packed away in my parts-locker because I found my original green-button a few hours after I placed the order. And I obviously decided it was wise to "keep a spare."

Here's a hypothetical, however. If I had two HTPCs in the same room, and I wanted to equip the second HTPC with remote control, would not the two remotes act on both PCs simultaneously?

In other words, suppose I'm watching a program on HTPC #1, and the two IR receivers are co-located in the same place. Suppose HTPC #2 is "awake." Would not a channel-change for HTPC#1 trigger WMC on HTPC#2?

I'm not keen on breaking out the second green-button right away -- because -- furChrissake -- I have to keep a bag of remotes handy: ONe for the HDTV, one for the AVR, one for the DVD player, one for the subscription-cable STB -- and the green-button. Sure -- some of these can be "integrated" in the same remote, as with the HDTV and STB, but you never have full functionality that way.

But I was wondering about this . . . two green-buttons and two-PC situation.

If you remember the '90s crime-drama "Heat" in which detective (Ted Levine) refers to a homeless witness to an armored car robbery as "TV Man" -- except for homeless, I fit the description: the beard, the clothes, the life-focus on TV. But -- curious minds want to know.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Yes they would interfere. But something like this with media transport controls and a touchpad with its own wireless receiver wouldn't interfere. You'd have two remotes though.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yes they would interfere. But something like this with media transport controls and a touchpad with its own wireless receiver wouldn't interfere. You'd have two remotes though.

Hah! That's sort of funny and ironic. I've already got the Logitech K400R, and I've been using it that way. . . .

An interesting program to watch on your HTPC-HDHR-enabled system on some cable channel is "Hoarders."

I'm trying to sort out my room here -- variously compared to Burt Munro's New Zealand house in "the World's Fastest Indian" and some bombed-out city in Syria. Sort the cyber-junk for recycling; sort the good stuff for packing away into the parts-lockers; etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

So this "green button" question came up, or so you should be able to understand.

the keyboard is fine, though. Just not something you'd curl up and fall asleep with. Of course -- you can't "lose" the keyboard in the crevices of your couch, either . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The 800 series has dedicated media transport buttons, so you wouldn't need the trackpad for that.

I haven't missed any "special buttons" on the Logitech keyboard I mentioned. But I should probably look at the one you linked a bit closer to see if there's something I really want. . . .