questions about motorcycles

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Do you have to take a training course?

Do you have to get a motrocycle license or how does that work? Do you have to take a test to the the license?

If you lived in the North Eastern US, would you buy one? You couldn't ride it for half the year or so.

If you were to buy a motorcycle, what would you buy?

Feel free to post your own motorcycle experiences and pics of your motorcycle if you own one.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it is a good idea, some states may require it

yes, you take a written and driving test depending on the state

if it is your first motorcycle, get something mid size 400-600 cc and used, so when you wreck it , you won't feel bad

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
No, if you are proficient on a motorcycle, you dont have to take a training course. (at least in my state)

You do turn in your old license, and they send you a new one with a motorcycle endorsement on it. You take a riding and written test.

I have a crappy little enduro motorcycle I ride around from now till the begining of november. I would say its worth it. Save lots of $ on gas and insurance, plus its fun.

DrGreen2007

Jan 30, 2007
You dont have to take a training course, but its your life
You dont have to get a MC license, as long as you dont mind getting tickets for not having one, there is a test to get one, its actually a MC endorsement to your current license, not a seperate license in CT.
I live in the NE and have had bikes since 1993, Ill still keep buying them
--1985 Ninja 900 (used) , 1995 CBR900RR (New), 2000 CBR929RR (new), 2006 GSXR1000 (new)

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Do you have to take a training course?

Do you have to get a motrocycle license or how does that work? Do you have to take a test to the the license?

If you lived in the North Eastern US, would you buy one? You couldn't ride it for half the year or so.

If you were to buy a motorcycle, what would you buy?

Feel free to post your own motorcycle experiences and pics of your motorcycle if you own one.

no
yes (usually a written permit test first then a road test)
yes (just winterize the bike in the off months)
i had a kawi ninja ex-500 and a zx-600
loved it but after the kids i sold them both

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
1: Yes, if you are under 21. Otherwise a written and riding test at the DMV.
2: Yes, they punched a hole at the expiration date on my old one and mailed me a new one with the M1 endorsement.
3: Yes
4: Right now I'm looking at this Triumph.

Otherwise, I used to ride this

sager66

Oct 16, 2004
Check your regional Craigslist > for sale > motorcycles for used values.

A scooter might also be an option. If a 30-35 mph top speed is acceptable, a 49cc size "moped" may not need registration or insurance . . the statutes for every state are different (check state DMV website).

If you need to keep up with 45 mph traffic, don't consider anything less than 150cc.

If you can twist a wrench, a China "crate" scooter might be an option.
Valley Scooters - BBB Report

Helmet tutorial video - CNN Report - Jefrum gear

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
If you've never been on a bike before (it doesn't count if you rode a friends), you should take the MSF course.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

In some states, if you pass, you're excepted for the road portion of the test. In Ohio, I took the temp test, got my permit, then took the state sponsored MSF course for$25. I passed and went to the BMV and got my license without owning a bike. Well, that was the plan anyway, I actually bought a bike before the MSF course, but I didn't ride it until I had the course.

You also might get an insurance discount (Nationwide will give you a discount and is who I ride with).

Ideal first bikes include the Ninja 250/500 or old UJM standards under 500cc's. Try to avoid anything with an "R" in the name (ie: CBR600RR, GSXR, etc). The exception to this is the Ninja 250, which I think they're calling the 250R now. Don't buy new unless you're loaded. If you drop a bike, chances are you'll do some damage and the more plastic it has, the more expensive it will be to fix.

Budget AT LEAST $500 for gear. $1000 would be better. You need pants (NOT jeans), gloves, jacket, helmet, and boots. You need boots with full ankle support and ideally something with covered laces. Exposed laces are something you can get caught in your bike and if you can't put your foot down at a stoplight, you're going to fall over on the bike. I don't even think $500 is enough for gear, to date I've spent $100 for my jacket, $75 for my helmet, $50 on gloves, and I still need to buy boots ($120) and pants ($175). Add in "extras" like a tailbag and a tinted visor and I'm pushing $650 for my gear. I bought my jacket and helmet on closeout so I saved some money there.

I haven't ridden much at all, maybe 20 miles tops. The weather got bad shortly after I bought my bike so I put it in storage and it's been there since.

Keep in mind, the used bike market is about to go from a "buyers" market to a "seller's" market because it's getting warmer and a lot of guys are buying. Towards the fall, some guys just want to get rid of the bike so they don't have to store it so you can get better deals.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
If I were to get one, it'd be a cruiser type of some sort. i'll probably never get one buy i've become interested in them lately.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
or, you could not buy a rice rocket and go with a nice cruiser (american or foreign, im not a "harley or die guy"). a small engine is best for learning and the test, as most tests require you to show how well you can toss it around when needed. you dont need full on leathers for everyday riding either, you can do with a pair of chaps, jacket and good boots. not all boots have laces either, engineer boots are great for riding. ive been riding for better part of 30 years (started in dirt when i was about 7) and will ride till i cant hold up a bike anymore. make sure you give yourself MUCH practice before taking it out to the streets tho, its a whole different world with other cars around you, and the price for a whoops is a lot higher than in an empty parking lot.

edit: need gloves too. gotta have gloves.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
If I were to get one, it'd be a cruiser type of some sort. i'll probably never get one buy i've become interested in them lately.
I've heard from people that with cruiser, anything under 1000CC is OK to start out on.

This is what I have:

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CM450C

I'd show you pictures of my actual bike, but I'm traveling and don't have any on this PC. It looks pretty much like that maroon one, only mine is blue.

I've never had it above 65. I tell you what though, the wind at 65 it feels like the Hand of God is pushing on you. It's an awesome feeling. The bike is faster than any car I've ever owned (note: never owned any fast cars), so it's fun as hell to ride.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I would suggest learning on a dirt bike. Learn to slide, do wheelies and generally control a motorcycle in the dirt, it will be less painful. Then buy a mid-sized street bike, 400-600cc. And the MSF course is a very good idea.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i rode on a motorcycle as a passenger once when i was in elementary school but haven't had a chance to ride one or anything since then.

i don't even know if i would like riding one. it looks fun but how would i find out without buying one?

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
1: Yes, if you are under 21. Otherwise a written and riding test at the DMV.
2: Yes, they punched a hole at the expiration date on my old one and mailed me a new one with the M1 endorsement.
3: Yes
4: Right now I'm looking at this Triumph.

Otherwise, I used to ride this
The 675 is truly awesome. go for it. Unless you fancy going for the 955? All rumous at triumph point to a bigger brother of the 675 coming out to replace te 955i. It'll have similar stlying to the 675, but have the 1050 triple in it, to compete with the new ducati...