Questions About Dreamcast Broadband

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I've been eagerly awaiting the broadband adapter for the Dreamcast. Today, while picking up HalfLife, I inquired about the release date from the guy at Electronics Boutique.

He said it was coming out at the end of Jan and cost $300 because it would include a cable modem???

From what I understand, it will be an ethernet nic that replaces the 56k, right?

$300 add-on cable modem seems like a sure fire way to not sell any...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i have no special information on the adapter.

but it should not be bundled with a cable modem...

Demosthenes

Jul 23, 2000
Don't get your hopes up.. it's been delayed til May. And will it actually come out even then? Hah! It was first slated for September release and supposed to be -get this- FREE. Now it's price is $59.99 and has been pushed back 8 months.

Pfftt, goodbye Phantasy Star Online. I couldn't care less about a MMORPG, no matter how good it is, if it forces me to use a dialup. You gotta be kidding me.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Most likely what he was saying was that it's an ethernet adapter for your DC that they're going to sell in a bundle with cable modems for those who don't have one... you can buy them seperatly tho obviously :)
And yes cable modems/DSL modems are expensive.. $260ish for a 3com one heh...

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000
Er. I haven't heard of any more setbacks, and neither has Slashdot, Planet Dreamcast, IGN, et al. January 9th is the date I keep hearing.

And no, no cable modem will be bundled. Especially when you consider there isn't a real cable modem standard (DOCSYS or whatever they're trying to push certainly doesn't work everywhere. In Las Vegas we're still using the same Com21 modem I got 4+ years ago)

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Yeah...that's what I thought...

If I had a nickel for every stupid thing the guys at EB have said, I'd have a bunch o' nickels!

Someone told me he imported the Japanese adapter and has been using it to play Phantasy Star Online. He said it translates automatically to english. FWIW, he's not from EB :)

ForeverSilky

Banned
Apr 6, 2000
Rendus, what area in Vegas are you in? I'm not really in Vegas but I'm in Green Valley. You see anyone around here that has em early?

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000

<< Rendus, what area in Vegas are you in? I'm not really in Vegas but I'm in Green Valley. You see anyone around here that has em early? >>

I'm over by Sam's Town, where Boulder and Nellis intersect.

I don't know of anyone who has them early, I doubt they'd risk it at this point. May just slightly anger Sega.

jsm

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
.I don't know if anyone is paying attention to this thread, but I just checked on EBWorld.com and apparently the broadband adapter is not going to ship till 5.10.01. Ouch! If and when this thing ever ships, I will be a happy PSO player.

Check out the EBWorld link

ForeverSilky

Banned
Apr 6, 2000
Sega is supposed to start selling them on their web site starting Jan 9. They will be the only ones selling them til the stores start selling them in March.