Questions about charging my mobile devices

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
OK. I've cut out of my original thread here my long and wonderful history with mobile devices. As I said, I hate my Apple I-Phone 4S. But I don't need advice to get an upgrade. I may spring for an Android phone later or in a year's time.

It boils down to this. I have the I-phone 4S. And I have a Vankyo MatrixPad S7 7-inch tablet, which I'm integrating into my 21-year-old car -- maintained, babied with TLC, and in progress of being retro-fitted for the 21st century.

So I am investigating the purchase of a $15 item: A dual port USB A cigar-lighter charging device, or perhaps (better) -- a unit that would install in my dashboard after drilling a 3/4" round hole (I had seen such items over the last couple months).

Some of these units support "Quick Charge" and can serve up a total of 6 Amps of current allocated to both ports simultaneously, or 3 Amps each.

Given the age of my I-phone, or the fact that my Vankyo 7" tablet was first released in the last year or two, I want to know that these charging plugs will not damage my devices, while enabling them to charge faster. Actually, the I-Phone hardly matters. I'm much more keen on ensuring long life for the tablet.

Any thoughts from those of you in the "Beam-me-up-Scotty" Mobile-Thumb-typing Millennial generation? Or even from some old f*** like me?

Somebody has to know something about this. Here. Here are some examples of what I'm looking at :

Thlevel Quick Charger

LiDiVi Quck Charger

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
You should be fine. The iPhone and tablet only draw as much power as they can handle.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
You should be fine. The iPhone and tablet only draw as much power as they can handle.
I always seek second opinions in fields for which I was not formally schooled. But -- that's good -- as much as one would expect. They draw what they can -- no more no less.

Thank you very much for suffering through one of my often longwinded thread-posts.

Those two devices I saw don't have many reviews, but then -- the mainstream people aren't interesting in cutting a hole in their dash to spec and hardwiring a charger like that, maybe even installing a three-pin switch. [Come to think of it, a vacant pair of USB ports wouldn't need a switch.] Something like that -- could be a couple hours work -- I might take weeks, doing it in parts. So I'm thinking "which one?" The one with the nifty LED lights? or the other one? Maybe I'll make up my mind tomorrow! ;)