Question Questions about Aorus Z390 Xtreme

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I got a Z390 Aorus Xtreme. Hope it works this time. Any advice on the following is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. For Samsung 970 Evo (Plus) 1-2TB SSD, does it matter whether I install it in the M2M, M2A or M2P SSD slot? In case of ASUS, they suggested me to fill in the one that has the lowest number. Not sure about Gigabtyte. I plan to install one SSD with Windows 10 at the beginning but add one more SSD later to allow dual boot of Windows and Linux. As my RTX 2080Ti takes 3 slots and very long, if it does not matter where I install the 1st and 2nd SSD, I would install the 1st SSD on the farest M.2 slot away from the GPU.

2. I have a Noctua NH-D15S heatsink with two NF-A15 140mm PWM 4-pin fans. For the main fan, I should connect to the CPU_FAN header. What about the secondary fan? Which header should I use?

3. I have five case fans (BeQuiet Silentwings3 4-pin PWM). 3 at the front, 1 at the top near the back and 1 at the back. Which fan headers should I use for these fans?

Menual can be found as follows:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10#support-manual

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
There are several programmers where I work that would be totally dumbfounded if you asked them how to build a computer (but most could figure it out). So don't feel dumb if you can't figure this one out. If you haven't already, try assembly outside the case and make sure you don't have a short somewhere. Several youtube videos on how to do this.

I remember that when I was an undergradaute student, a professor in Computer Science from the top university in the country asked me to go to her home to set up a printer for her!

A so-called "Associate Professor in Engineering" also asked me to set up a projector for him in class every week. He also asked undergraduate students to install MS software for him. We all know that this guy got hired because of his looks!

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
That is one of the problems. No known good spares -> Can't tell which components are working and which are defective.

Now Amazon sent me a friendly warning letter asking me why I keep returning things. I read that people who got such letter are on the verge of being banned. In my city, there is only one big local computer store. They charge a restocking fee when people opens and return a product. Without opening and testing the components, how do we know if they work or not? Continuing to order and return to Amazon could lead to banning, what can I do?

My system seems to have stablized. Do you think I have to worry that it may fail after the 30 days return period? The ASUS Z390 PRO worked at the beginning but failed on the 3rd week.

Sorry to hear that. Well once the 30 day runs out you will have to go through the manufacturer's RMA process. Depending on who that is it can be a headache and/or take a much longer turnaround time.

I haven't been on this forum for long so I don't have much rep otherwise I'd offer to help you out, I have spares of all of that stuff. Maybe someone on here can assist you. Better yet I hope it stays stable!

Reactions: anandtechreader

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Based on experience shared by Gigabyte users, how good is Gigabyte in handling RMA process? How reliable are their products? I don't have luck with ASUS products even I heard that they are one of the best.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I need some advice. When I got the Gigabyte Z390 Xtreme motherboard, there were problems in getting it to post. As recommended by a member, I removed all components especially the CPU and noctua heatsink and plugged back in. It worked fine. When I plugged in the GPU. It failed to post. unplugged and replugged again and everything has been working fine since then. In this case, is it advisable to ask for a replacement just in case or just keep using the motherboard? Alos, how good or bad Gigabyte is in terms of rma after the 30 days period? They are ok for me to ask for a replacement.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In fact, I generally have far fewer issues today than I ever did dealing with motherboards that had chipsets like VIA and SIS back in the Athlon days.
Amen to that!

Had a Via KT400(A?)-based Athlon XP mobo back in the day. Was less performant than equivalent Intel chipsets (no support for PCI bus "parking"), but on the whole, it was at least stable, which was hard to say about most Via and SiS chipsets.