Question to people taking Computer science in college!

Joony

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
I have this assignment for AP Comp Sci in high school, my teacher wants us to find out information about Computer Science in college...

1) What topics are covered in the first two programming courses in comptuer science? In what languages are the courses taught? If possible, find a course decription from the college handbook

2) What is the college's policy toward AP Computer Science A and AB Exam scores? Do they offer credit and/or placement? What score on the exam do you need to qualify?

3) How many credits is in each course? What are the costs of the courses?

Please tell me what college/university your answer is for!

Java is hard...

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
So find some information, its readily available at most college websites...

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Joony
I have this assignment for AP Comp Sci in high school, my teacher wants us to find out information about Computer Science in college...

1) What topics are covered in the first two programming courses in comptuer science? In what languages are the courses taught? If possible, find a course decription from the college handbook

2) What is the college's policy toward AP Computer Science A and AB Exam scores? Do they offer credit and/or placement? What score on the exam do you need to qualify?

Java is hard...

1) I was taught solely C++ for my first 2 CS classes in College.
2) Never heard of those exams.
3) My CS courses are 3 credit hours. Did this guy even go to college? If you are full time all classes are included in the tuition. If you are part time most Universities are around ~100 per credit hour.

I am a sophomore at Mansfield University in Northern PA.

Sounds to me like your teacher is too lazy to do his own research, those questions are extremely redundant.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I go to NAU...i WAS a comp sci major....our program is decent i just didnt really get along with the profs...

1) read 122/126 http://www.cet.nau.edu/Academic/CS/core_topics.shtml
2) If its not in Java then your screwed...take there beginning courses so u get accustomed to how THEY want you to program..I took the B test and got a 4 and still ended up having to go through their 122/126 classes because they made me take their own test which proved i wasn't used to their "style" yet...
3) here my schoo http://www.cet.nau.edu/Academic/CS/courses.shtml

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

right now it is java and java, it used to be c and c++ in that order. course descriptions are at:

http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/cse.html#cse142

and 143 (right below 142)

we won't let you place out of 143... if you think you can handle it, you are welcome to take 143 without taking 142 first, but that's as far as prior experience will take you. as far as credits go:

University of Washington students with AP scores of 4 or 5 on the Computer Science A Exam may receive credit for CSE 142. Students with AP scores of 3, 4, or 5 on the Computer Science AB Exam may also receive credit for CSE 142.

University of Washington students who receive a 3.0 or better in CSE 143 may go to the Graduations and Academic Records Office, 264 Schmitz Hall, to receive credit for CSE 142.

4 for 142 and 5 for 143... but majors-only courses (anybody can take 142 and 143, but to take any of the really cool classes, you have to be a cse major) are 3-4 credits (not less work by any means!)

tuition depends on your total number of credits taken in the qtr:

tuition rates

university of washington

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
- the first two classes here are taught in Java. The first is just basic programming from the ground up and the second is data structures (trees, lists, etc.).

- As far as I know, they don't offer credit for CS AP scores. Rather than taking CPSC 101 and 102 over a period of two semesters, though, if you think you're good enough, you can take CPSC 210, which combines 101 and 102 into a single semester.

- Credit hours depends on the course. The first 3 or 4 courses have associated labs with them and are 4 hours total, requiring a passing grade in the lab to pass the class. Once you get to the upper-level courses without labs, courses are 3 hours. There are 2 1-hour courses required by the curriculum. I don't know costs for individual courses. I've always taken a full course load and my tuition has been about the same for the last 7 semesters.

- I go to Clemson University.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

Java is hard...

1) Basic programming through recursion and linked lists. I took them in C++ but they're taught in Java now.

2) I'm sure we accept a 3 or higher as credit for CSC15.

3) Most courses are three units. Tuition is about $1250/semester if you take more than 6 units, doesn't matter how many classes you take.

This is at California State University, Sacramento

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
This is for Virginia Tech from 96-2000.

1. The first two classes were intro classes. One dealt with programming in C++. The other dealt with computers in general and taught things like the history of computers, binary/hex, simple logic, etc.
2. Comp Sci AB with a score of 5 will get you 3 credits for a programming class you aren't allowed to take as a CS major. Everything else gets you nothing.
3. It was something like 120 credits total to graduate, of which somewhere between 40-50 are in major. Most classes are 3 credits, some are 1 credit (labs). Tuiton depends on in state or not.

And if you think Java is hard, you might not want to go into CS as a major. And speaking as someone in the job world now doing CS work, you might not want to given the market, which I doubt will get much better in 4-5 years (it will probably stabilize but nothing like the 90's).

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
A little OT, Joony, I'm in AP CS too in HS, if you ever need some help, just ask me. I'm still new to java but I've had experience with some other lanugages.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Java is hard...

1) Topics can range from Simple Program Execution to developing Data Structures like Hash tables and trees. Simple Sorting algorithms to intermediate stuff like quicksort and heapsort.

2) Not my school

3) Each class is 4 credits (quarter system) but the homework takes long enough that it should be six. Costs depend on the school

and Java is not hard.

Joony

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
Wow! thanks for all the information guys! this will help me with my report greatly!

What I find challenging about java is all that methods thing....importing packages this and that, i'm just not really the programming guy. Compared to VB (which I found easy), objected oriented programming is hard for me, I think its all the logical thinking. The only reason i'm even in this course is becauses the CCNA course at my HS is full :( and I wanted to do something computer related and though "eh, this should suffice me". Well, I have taken a beginners Java course with an old fart that didn't teach too well, half the class dropped out second semester and I ended up with a B.

AgaBooga: Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it sometime! :D

lukatmyshu

Aug 22, 2001
UC Berkeley
the 61 series are the first courses you take (three courses that can be taken in any 3 order). They're lettered a,b,c .
A is structure and interpretation of Computer Languages .... taught in Scheme.
B is data-structures ... taught in Java
C is basically Machine Languages. it's taught in MIPS (and coincidentally usually taught by the same guy who invented in and RAID ... Professor Patterson)