Question on OCing E8500 on Asus P5Q 1600fsb mobo

o3srt4me

Feb 5, 2009
Well Asus comes with the AI suite in which you can use an Auto voltage calculator and you can change the multiplier and frequencies. Anyhow I did a few experiements with overclocking.

I have an Antec Earthwatt 500w PSU (if that is a factor)

With my build on a radeon 4870 1GB I am able to get to 3.51 (365x9.5)fsb OC and run the prime95 no issues at all, but if I go to 3.6 I and run the Prime95...It will run through about 5 tests and then core 2 will stop saying Hardware failure (expected .4 rounding and saw .5) first off what does that mean??? Second off when this happened my CPU temp was at around 45c which is not bad at all... I figured maybe my PSU was too small.

When running a 8800gt which requires less power I was able to overclock considerably higher and run a stable prime95. Dont remember the ghz but it was at 395x9.5fsb, any higer and I get the same message, yet still no dangerous temps???, A few of my friends insist that the real only factor in overclocking is temperatures, that temperatures are what make computers crash, but if that is the case why is mine failing the prime95 tests so quickly...

Also most of my friends with near Identical setups are able to run at full 1600fsb peaking their mobo no problem, running hours on p95 with the same temps I have, the only difference is they have bigger power supplies...any advice????

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Your friends are wrong. The kind of temps it takes to crash a computer are gonna be >100c. Pretty much the only factor that matters is voltage. Also, don't overclock using software, do it through BIOS. You have a much greater degree of control

Your PSU is also a non-factor. That p95 error just means that the OC is unstable, and needs more voltage, either CPU voltage or NB voltage.