Question on Job Recruiters...

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
For those that have worked with recruiters before, I'm looking for some answers.

I've been working pretty closely with 3 different recruiters for a month or two now. There have been others that will contact me (I get them daily), I'll speak to them, and then it kinda just dies. These 3 I mentioned however have been in great touch and we talk regularly. I'll call them recruiter A, B & C for reference purposes.

Recruiter A - Hooked me up with 2 phone interviews. The one company I wasn't interested in after speaking with them. The other company has yet to get back to her firm on what they thought of me. She has a third company, we'll call them "ATOT R' Us", that she says I have a great fit for. They're actively looking and want to fill the position pretty quickly.

Recruiter B - Hasn't hooked me up with any interviews yet, but has 2 companies on his list. After speaking with him yet again yesterday afternoon, come to fine out "ATOT R' Us" is also on his list.

Recruiter C - 1 Interview and yet to hear back. He has more companies that he is currently putting together for me to look into. He's currently away on vacation this week, so this will be stagnant for a while.

That said, I don't know how to handle if Recruiter A & B are trying to hook me up with the same company, in the same location. I didn't say anything to Recruiter B about Recruiter A mentioning "ATOT R' Us" previously to me. Recruiter A hasn't put anything through to them, but I know she was going full speed forward on that some point this week.

That all said, do I let them know I've got a conflict here? Do I let the company handle it? They should notice my name coming from two sources - no? Not really sure what to do in this situation.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It mostly looks bad for the recruiting company if they submit you to a company where you've already been submitted. If they know what they're doing, they'll ask you if you have been submitted to a company before submitting you.

Reactions: Chess

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I've had this happen once before, where despite the job search being confidential (they couldn't tell me the company name until I actually had an interview set) I was able to guess at the company and know I had already interviewed with them through another recruiter. I told the 2nd recruiter that I had already interviewed but appreciated their pick.

If you like the first recruiter, I'd honestly tell the 2nd recruiter that you're already looking at that company, or find out if the 2nd recruiter has more of an "in" with the company that could benefit you.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'd just go with the recruiter who got you the interview and put you in touch with ATOT R US first.

As for recruiters who won't tell you who the company is, I just stop talking to them pretty much at that point. I always assumed it's just because they didn't want you to go out and contact them yourself because they would lose the cut, so I don't care. Even if it's something where the company wants to be confidential, well I don't even want to bother with a company that won't let me research them before ever talking to them. There's plenty of companies I don't even want to get on a phone call with based on a variety of factors. I'd rather not waste my time.

Reactions: Chess

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I've had this happen once before, where despite the job search being confidential (they couldn't tell me the company name until I actually had an interview set) I was able to guess at the company and know I had already interviewed with them through another recruiter. I told the 2nd recruiter that I had already interviewed but appreciated their pick.

If you like the first recruiter, I'd honestly tell the 2nd recruiter that you're already looking at that company, or find out if the 2nd recruiter has more of an "in" with the company that could benefit you.

I do like the first recruiter. She's been VERY helpful on everything to date. The thing with the second recruiter is that during the phone call yesterday, he mentioned the name of the person who's the hiring manager at the company itself. He made it seem like they frequently talk and know each other quite well. The first recruiter hasn't done any of that. I'm afraid if I mention to him that the first recruiter is already pushing things through for me at this company, he may tell me to screw off and take the other ideas he had for placing me with him.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I do like the first recruiter. She's been VERY helpful on everything to date. The thing with the second recruiter is that during the phone call yesterday, he mentioned the name of the person who's the hiring manager at the company itself. He made it seem like they frequently talk and know each other quite well. The first recruiter hasn't done any of that. I'm afraid if I mention to him that the first recruiter is already pushing things through for me at this company, he may tell me to screw off and take the other ideas he had for placing me with him.
It's a tough spot, but realize that the most important factor here is you, and getting you a job. You owe nothing to these recruiters and they make their money off you, so if you get a feel you have a better "in" with a different recruiter, I'd go with them. You can kindly let the first recruiter know that you're going a different way.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I wouldn't say anything unless they try to set you up with the same manager. Managers don't communicate with one another about people they're interviewing unless they're on different parts of the same project or department. And even in those cases, you might have an expansion going on where every manager in a particular group is trying to hire.

If it ever comes up, just play dumb - 'Sure, I knew it was the same company but I figured you'd be sending me to different managers. It's not my fault the guy/gal is too brain dead to remember my name and key points from my resume.'

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I wouldn't say anything unless they try to set you up with the same manager. Managers don't communicate with one another about people they're interviewing unless they're on different parts of the same project or department. And even in those cases, you might have an expansion going on where every manager in a particular group is trying to hire.

If it ever comes up, just play dumb - 'Sure, I knew it was the same company but I figured you'd be sending me to different managers. It's not my fault the guy/gal is too brain dead to remember my name and key points from my resume.'
I'm assuming here it's the same position, in which case the very first person who will review the resume is the hiring manager. If he actually is interested in the job, he's more likely to have a negative outcome having two separate recruiters come at the hiring manager for the same person.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I'm assuming here it's the same position, in which case the very first person who will review the resume is the hiring manager. If he actually is interested in the job, he's more likely to have a negative outcome having two separate recruiters come at the hiring manager for the same person.

It's the same position in the same office. The second interview already set up a phone interview with the director of engineering for tomorrow. I'm assuming it'd be the same guy who's saying yay or nay no matter how the resumes are received (recruiter A or B). The first recruiter told me on Friday (last week) she was going to put the paperwork through on Monday ... but I haven't heard zilch from her since. Looks like I'm going forward with the second recruiter. He replied back to me in less than 24 hours that he had an interview for me and needs my available times in the next day or two. Tomorrow, 1030AM!

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
It's the same position in the same office. The second interview already set up a phone interview with the director of engineering for tomorrow. I'm assuming it'd be the same guy who's saying yay or nay no matter how the resumes are received (recruiter A or B). The first recruiter told me on Friday (last week) she was going to put the paperwork through on Monday ... but I haven't heard zilch from her since. Looks like I'm going forward with the second recruiter. He replied back to me in less than 24 hours that he had an interview for me and needs my available times in the next day or two. Tomorrow, 1030AM!
Boom! sounds like good news to me!

Chess

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2001
I'd just go with the recruiter who got you the interview and put you in touch with ATOT R US first.

As for recruiters who won't tell you who the company is, I just stop talking to them pretty much at that point. I always assumed it's just because they didn't want you to go out and contact them yourself because they would lose the cut, so I don't care. Even if it's something where the company wants to be confidential, well I don't even want to bother with a company that won't let me research them before ever talking to them. There's plenty of companies I don't even want to get on a phone call with based on a variety of factors. I'd rather not waste my time.

@purbeast0 makes a good point... working in the DMV, this is kind of shit happens all the time. Tons of head hunters out there and I don't want to deal with them. Alot of these positions are temp to perm.... Already a disadvantage and the agency is getting paid regardless....

I don't know what you do for a living, but my suggestion is build your network, linkedin, word of mouth, etc...

Where I work at I believe its 86% of the employees were referred to the company... Pretty freaking high if you think about it... It makes alot of sense as well..

If you dont mind saying what you do, we could help out alot more.. Hell there could be a guy/gal on this forum that could help you as well!