Question on installing AMD's X2 CPU drivers

Oct 20, 2005
I installed driver "AMD Athlon? 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16" from AMD's site and I'm wondering if it installed correctly or if I could check to see where it installed.

I'm running Win XP SP2 and a 3800+ X2.

The installation ran fine and I rebooted. I checked under device manager -> computer and it says "APCI multiprocessor PC" and the drivers in there show Microsoft 7/1/2001 (5.1.2600.0). Is that correct or is it supposed to say AMD (1.3.2.16) with a newer date?

Am I looking in the right place? I could be confused andcompletely wrong here =/

Thanks.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
That is the right driver, and it sounds like it's installed. But now you need to install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer software from AMD's site and install that as well. Then you're all set!

good luck :)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I don't get all the stuff about the AMD drivers, the dual core optimizer, the /usepmtimer, the registry key, and the MS hotfix. There is so much conflicting information, and it is hard to tell what is needed or what they even do. When I upgraded to a dual core Opteron, I looked into all that, but could not find anything concrete. On other forums were people linking the same old outdated guide that is like "you MUST do these steps in order" and it said to install and do like 5 things, rather than give any reason why those things were needed.

"ACPI Multiprocessor PC" is the correct HAL.

Since I couldn't find any concrete information, I didn't do ANYTHING. I installed the chip, overclocked it, and booted to XP. I didn't have two CPU usage graphs in Task Manager so I restarted, then everything was correct there and in device manager, automatically. I haven't had any issues or performance problems by not installing anything, so I will not until I run into some problem. I need to try BF2 still as I heard it uses the RTDSC and might require the dual-core optimizer, but unsure if that is true.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Schfifty Five
I checked under device manager -> computer and it says "APCI multiprocessor PC" and the drivers in there show Microsoft 7/1/2001 (5.1.2600.0). Is that correct or is it supposed to say AMD (1.3.2.16) with a newer date?

Yes that is correct, however you would want to look under processors for two entries with drivers from AMD. Mine are dated 5/27/2006 version 1.3.2.0. There is also an entry in add or remove programs labeled "Windows Driver Pkg - Advanced Micro Devices......"

You'll want to install the Dual Core Optimizer as well.