Question Question on F@H Stats...

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I've been folding for less than a week and have earned over 4 million points with 80 WUs. I figured this was typical until looked at the TeAm stats. As the pic below show, there are people with thousands of WUs that have less points. So, how do the points work?

f@h.jpg

John

• Wow
Reactions: Assimilator1

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Heya John. The stats are correct. The faster you turn the work in, the more points you get (quick return bonus). You have been running a modern GPU, I presume, no CPU tasks. Others may be running CPU only, for example. 3-4 years ago, I was running on 9 older GPU's, for about 3M ppd. Now a single 2080Ti can do 2M+ ppd. :)

Reactions: JWMiddleton

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Interesting! I'd wondered if that was it, but the disparity is amazing!! o_O

I am getting around 1 million ppd with GTX 1660 Super, that makes me wonder about the GTX 950s I replaced. How do you think 2 of those would do?

John

UPDATE: This morning I'm at 4,602,585, so I am really doing 500k per day. Not sure how much this will flucuate per day, but am keeping better track now. In addition to the GPU, it looks like it is crunching on one core.

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Speaking from personal experience, please do beware of looking around at all your older hardware and thinking you should put it to good use, because:

itsatrap.jpg

Your first energy bill of $100 more than you expected is shocking, but you get used to it, then winter comes and your think "this is a smart way to heat the house" and you get used to the $250 extra in energy use, lol.

Trust me, long term, you will save money getting upper tier hardware from the start. Now that I have acquired a 2080Ti, even my 1070s are starting to get the stink-eye from me...takes 3 of them to match the 2080Ti in Folding, and use 35-40% more energy to do it.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Speaking from personal experience, please do beware of looking around at all your older hardware and thinking you should put it to good use, because:

View attachment 21397

Your first energy bill of $100 more than you expected is shocking, but you get used to it, then winter comes and your think "this is a smart way to heat the house" and you get used to the $250 extra in energy use, lol.

Trust me, long term, you will save money getting upper tier hardware from the start. Now that I have acquired a 2080Ti, even my 1070s are starting to get the stink-eye from me...takes 3 of them to match the 2080Ti in Folding, and use 35-40% more energy to do it.
So much truth in this post I can't like it enough.

After turning on everything I could find in the house with a processor (some of it over 12 years old), I used all of the excess power I generate from my solar panels and actually had to pay a power bill (legit *gasp*). I knew before I started turning stuff on that a single 3950 would process more data than everything I have CPU wise, but I didn't really think about the power usage.

With my planned upgrades I'm going to end up with a bunch of unused hardware that I won't know what to do with, but at least I should get more science done with dramatically less power usage.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000

Thanks for that info and for reminding me that "It is a trap." I got caught up in that with SETI 1. I am NOT going to do that now.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

John

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
I'am waiting on these,
According to a DigiTimes report (via Tom's Hardware), Nvidia recently placed a large production order for its 7nm Ampere chips with its manufacturing partners, meaning the RTX 3080 could be very close to launching.

Nvidia’s RTX 20-series was revealed in August 2018 at Gamescom in Germany, with the first cards being made available shortly after in September. The RTX 20 Super series was released in July 2019.

Given these timeframes, it isn’t unreasonable to expect the RTX 3080 (and potentially RTX 3070 and RTX 3080 Ti) to launch by summer 2020. However, it's possible that the coronavirus pandemic has delayed the production of the RTX 3080 to later in the year.

I have the funds saved for 3 3080ti's :D

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
As others have stated. Not all WUs credit the same and the longer you've been crunching on F@H the more WUs you'll have for a lower average of points per WU.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
John
That was quite a collective you had back then! Lol
When did you take that photo?

Endgame124
Easy, sell it on ebay etc, or here :).
Out of interest, what will you have laying around?

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Endgame124
Easy, sell it on ebay etc, or here :).
Out of interest, what will you have laying around?
My unused parts pile
Athlon 1.4 ghz w/ 4gb ram
Pentium 4 2.4ghz (forgot system specs)

My soon to be unused pile:
AMD A10-5800K w/ 16GB ram
AMD A10-7870K w/ 16GB ram
AMD 2700X (CPU only)
AMD R250 1gb vid card
Intel Core2Quad 9650 w / 8GB ram

My depends on next gen vid card pile:
Maybe a 1660 Super
Maybe a 1080ti

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
John
That was quite a collective you had back then! Lol
When did you take that photo?

Mark, It was in my corporate appartment in Shreveport, LA. I can't believe that they didn't complain about the electric bill. It was around 2003/2004. When I got home David hosted part of the herd.

We downsized 3 years ago and I got rid of a just about everything but my main system. I put Ubuntu on a system for my BiL, but he eventually forgot the password. So, I just reworked his Dell Optiplex 7010 DT with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS while my main rig is folding. Oh, I do have 2 ASUS GTX950's that I removed to installed the 1660 Super. Wonder if I can sell them?

John

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that GTX950 cards are good enough for some e-sports budget gaming rigs. (I assume that they're the 2GB GDDR5 models?)

I had a few of those a few years ago. They're weren't bad cards, for basic gaming... well, a few years ago, at least.

I've upgraded since then to a bunch of Polaris-family AMD cards, three years ago, had like 8 of them, I think. 14nm was a new thing then.

I've since gotten rid of those, too, except for one stubborn RX 580 4GB Nitro+ card, that I bought more recently than all of the rest, and picked up like 6x GTX 1660 ti of different flavors (3x of those, just a few weeks ago!), along with an RX 5700 reference card for under $300 maybe half a year or more ago.

Been mostly mining, for most of the year, except for PrimeGrid GPU races for a few days, and of course, the F@H Dec., race, which I would not miss out on. (Basically, I buy new cards for the F@H race and mining, and mine on them most of the time to pay for themselves. That's one way to do it, I guess. :p )

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I think that GTX950 cards are good enough for some e-sports budget gaming rigs. (I assume that they're the 2GB GDDR5 models?)

I had a few of those a few years ago. They're weren't bad cards, for basic gaming... well, a few years ago, at least.

I've upgraded since then to a bunch of Polaris-family AMD cards, three years ago, had like 8 of them, I think. 14nm was a new thing then.

I've since gotten rid of those, too, except for one stubborn RX 580 4GB Nitro+ card, that I bought more recently than all of the rest, and picked up like 6x GTX 1660 ti of different flavors (3x of those, just a few weeks ago!), along with an RX 5700 reference card for under $300 maybe half a year or more ago.

Been mostly mining, for most of the year, except for PrimeGrid GPU races for a few days, and of course, the F@H Dec., race, which I would not miss out on. (Basically, I buy new cards for the F@H race and mining, and mine on them most of the time to pay for themselves. That's one way to do it, I guess. :p )

Hi Larry,

WOW, you have a lot invested in cards and they all need systems in which to run.

When I built my current system in Nov 2015, I decided on the GTX 950 due to the high prices of cards. About 9 months later I bought a 2nd one and ran them in SLI mode. They worked well, but were restricted to 2GB of RAM. I would like to put one in the Optiplex 7010 DT on which I am running Ubuntu, but it is a SFF system and the card won't fit. So, I found a Dell AMD Radeon HD 7570 on Ebay for $20 with shipping. It should be here Friday. I'm really curious how much better it will be than the integrated video on the i5-3570 (Intel® HD Graphics 2500.)

My latest project that I started yesterday, is to get my Ion USB turntable working with Audacity so that I can convert my vinyl collection to MP3s. I worked on this in Dec 2007, for about 2 months and found that it is a LOT of work to do it properly. I have forgotten most of the slick tricks I knew back then and the learning curve is a bit steep. But, being retired and isolated to home, what else do I have to do. :)

John

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I had a quick look on ebay & it seems Asus GTX 950's go for $55-80+ within the US, so certainly worth selling :).

Endgame124
Ah yea, the P4 & Athlon systems are probably only worth recycling. I expect you knew that anyway ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: JWMiddleton

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Interesting! I'd wondered if that was it, but the disparity is amazing!! o_O

I am getting around 1 million ppd with GTX 1660 Super, that makes me wonder about the GTX 950s I replaced. How do you think 2 of those would do?

John

UPDATE: This morning I'm at 4,602,585, so I am really doing 500k per day. Not sure how much this will flucuate per day, but am keeping better track now. In addition to the GPU, it looks like it is crunching on one core.

UPDATE2: It has been 10 days since I posted this thread and now have better data. Over those 10 days I average 643,149.2 ppd on a GTX 1660 Super.I have used the system a lot in the past 5 days. One day I stopped Folding while I was copying vinyl with with Audacity.

John