Question on case size vs PSU size.

CodeguruX

Nov 28, 2013
How exactly do I make sure the PSU is going to fit in the case, or is this even a problem in most cases?

For instance, will

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Modular Power Supply features 100% Nippon Chemi-Con Capacitors compatible ...

fit in

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

As far as I can tell, it's a 7 inch PSU vs an 8 inch room, but they also say the motherboard is like half an inch from the backing which seems like it would make it a little tight. I like this PSU as it gives a decent amount of watts with the amps to back it up, but I've no idea on how to make sure it can be jammed in there safely without buying it and finding out...

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Width and height are practically never an issue with ATX PSUs, the only dimension you need to consider is the depth (or length). In typical case layout, the PSU is installed front-to-back, i.e. the power switch is at the back of the case, and the cables come out at the face facing the front of the case.

The MK III 850W is 7.09" deep, and the BLACKHAWK has enough lengthwise room for a PSU that Rosewill/Newegg hasn't even bothered to mention it in the specs. You can see this from looking at pictures of the case interior: there's enough room for the PSU to extend to the floor fan location that you could fit one of these in without any issue.

This is typical, as you almost never run into any problems fitting an ATX PSU in a microATX or ATX tower case. Problems may only arise in tight mini-ITX cases or cases with unorthodox layouts.

Last edited: