Question for you professionals?

OhZyeah

Oct 27, 2003
I work full time at company A. Company A treats me very well and I get failry good benefits. The only gripe I have is that the salary is less than industry average. (or what I should be making with my position)

I'm passively looking and submitting my resumes for other jobs that I come across which I think will be a good opportunity and also I know for sure the pay is much better than Company A's pay.

Question: If I get an interview for the new position and they need to verify my employment with my current employer (CompanyA), how would they go about verifying it. I don't want the new company (Company B) to call my Company A because I do not want Comapny A to know I am looking for another job. What should I say? Unless I have an offer for sure from company B, then I do not want my current emplyer to know. How would I go about telling thisto company B?

Also, I have been with my current job for 8 months

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
When I have done some extracuricular interviewing, the companies all understood the situation and asked whether or not they could contact my current employer. Was no problem if they couldn't. But then, in my work, it's a fairly small community, and I could ussually reference somebody that worked for them (often the person that got me the interview), that could vouch for my work history.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Couldn't you show them a copy of a current paycheck (just black out the amounts unless you don't care).

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Do you have a contract with company A in ANY way? if so you MUST inform them you are looking for another job concurrently.
I'm going through a very similar situation right now, just had the talk yesterday with the guy in charge and ended up wirtting a letter that left us both feeling happy at the end of the day...the just of it:

At this time i must inform the Company that i will be in the process of entertaining other job offers in the coming months before my contract expires. I fully plan to fulfill my duties wiht the company, but at this time I need to broaden and expand my horizons and see what else is out there. I do so however with the full confidence in the company that if they will have me continue on a new contract will be provided which at that time i can make the decision to stay.

He seemed to understand very well and even asked if he could have a template of it so if other employees came in feeling the same way (sentiment in the company right now isnt too great, even the boss') he could give it to them.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: OhZyeah
I work full time at company A. Company A treats me very well and I get failry good benefits. The only gripe I have is that the salary is less than industry average. (or what I should be making with my position)

Unless I have an offer for sure from company B, then I do not want my current emplyer to know. How would I go about telling thisto company B?

You can simply let them know to keep your interview confidential. They won't need to check till after they hired you. They can check later and if there's some inconsistency, then its terms for dismissal so they know you probably won't lie.

OhZyeah

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ergeorge
When I have done some extracuricular interviewing, the companies all understood the situation and asked whether or not they could contact my current employer. Was no problem if they couldn't. But then, in my work, it's a fairly small community, and I could ussually reference somebody that worked for them (often the person that got me the interview), that could vouch for my work history.

If Company B doesn't ask you if its Ok to contact comnpany A, then how do I go about telling them to not contact Comapny A? Is there someway I could word it professionaly?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Drakkon
Do you have a contract with company A in ANY way? if so you MUST inform them you are looking for another job concurrently.
I'm going through a very similar situation right now, just had the talk yesterday with the guy in charge and ended up wirtting a letter that left us both feeling happy at the end of the day...the just of it:

At this time i must inform the Company that i will be in the process of entertaining other job offers in the coming months before my contract expires. I fully plan to fulfill my duties wiht the company, but at this time I need to broaden and expand my horizons and see what else is out there. I do so however with the full confidence in the company that if they will have me continue on a new contract will be provided which at that time i can make the decision to stay.

He seemed to understand very well and even asked if he could have a template of it so if other employees came in feeling the same way (sentiment in the company right now isnt too great, even the boss') he could give it to them.

Really? You have to inform them if you are looking?? Hell, I'm always looking ... maybe not actively, or aggresively, but the radar is always up.
But I'm an "at will" employee, so doesn't matter.

OhZyeah

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Drakkon

No, not a contract job, it is a full-time permanant position. Yes, I do plan on giving two weeks notice only after I have accepted another offer from Company B. I just dont want Company A to know that I am looking before I get any offers. What if I don't end up getting an offer, and Company A has received a call to verify my employment, then they'll know I've been looking elsewhere, and I will be screwed.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm in the same boat you are. In this economy...it pays to always be looking. One thing I've learned throughout my short working career (the hard way) is that the only one who's going to look out for you is you. Gone are the days when you joined a company, could go up the ranks and stay with them all your life. Now they'll dump you at the drop of a hat when they hit a rough patch.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
well i guess thats a provisional "must"...i mean if ur looking but not going to go to any interviews you dont have to inform them...most of the time it should be worded out in any contract what your limitations are though on the matter...at least thats how mine have been...but usually theres a clause reguarding leaving your position and concurrently seeking emplyment in either contract or the employment handbooks

EDIT : They can't fire you for looking...and how do you know you'd be screwed? maybe if they get that call they'll realize they might be loosing you and offer you more...if u let it be known first they can be prepared to negotiate or you'll know where u really stand with them. I say you at least have a talk with someone higher up just to get an idea

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I'm in the same boat you are. In this economy...it pays to always be looking. One thing I've learned throughout my short working career (the hard way) is that the only one who's going to look out for you is you. Gone are the days when you joined a company, could go up the ranks and stay with them all your life. Now they'll dump you at the drop of a hat when they hit a rough patch.
Right on. There is no such thing as company loyalty! Never rely on the company to look out for you because the company is only out for itself, as you should be too.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
And actually, your current company knowing you are looking could help you. As others have said, there is no such thing as loyalty from a company to its employees. A smart manager knows that it works both ways, and if they find out your disatisfied & looking, they may try and sweeten your pot for you. Unless the ship is already sinking and they're trying to decide who to boot first. Congratulations ... you just volunteered!

Might be a better way for them to find that out then getting a call from another company though ;)

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Ranger X
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Right on. There is no such thing as company loyalty! Never rely on the company to look out for you because the company is only out for itself, as you should be too.

very true...I agree with this assessment.