Question for you guys who have Blackberries at work (BES)

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
If the IT Admin resets the server, does the BB user have to reset or re-sync their BB in order to get new emails?

Also, how many emails a day do you get and don't you guys go crazy? Are you compelled to check your BB every minute, even on nights and weekends?

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
If the IT Admin resets the server, does the BB user have to reset or re-sync their BB in order to get new emails?

Also, how many emails a day do you get and don't you guys go crazy? Are you compelled to check your BB every minute, even on nights and weekends?

Resets the server as in reboots it? - If that is the case then no, your blackberry should continue to sync as soon as the server is back up.

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
Originally posted by: MixMasterTang

Resets the server as in reboots it? - If that is the case then no, your blackberry should continue to sync as soon as the server is back up.

I agree.

. . . and they don't call it a CrackBerry for nuthin'.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
if we have a release on a friday night i will probably check my bb over the weekend to make sure everything went ok. typically, though i don't check because people have my cell phone number and can call me if necessary.

i will also check my bb at night if we've done a release that might affect our end of day jobs.

however, i try to not look at it once i get home.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: jamautosound
Originally posted by: MixMasterTang

I agree.

. . . and they don't call it a CrackBerry for nuthin'.

Yes, resets i.e. reboots (building's power got shut off for maintenance over the weekend).

Seriously I was about to throw my fiancee's BB out last weekend.

burntfish

Jun 28, 2006
if its a simple reboot cycle then its fine. if you're talking about rebuilding BES, then ya. users would have to resync their bb.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

I use my BB as a tool at my own convenience, so I'm not compelled to check it all the time, nor answer emails on weekends (unless I'm on call) or nights. I get anywhere from a couple to a crapload of emails a day, depending on what's going on.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Some guys will send blackberry emails on the weekend that could've waited until monday. That is an addiction. I'll only check it on the weekends if I know someone else is working the weekend and they might need my help. It already sucks for them to work the weekend, I don't want to leave them hanging.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As an answer to the original question, sometimes it does help to reboot or power cycle the devices when the BES server is restarted. Usually they'll sync right back up but BES and other enterprise PDA servers can be a bit funky at times.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i would love to know why a person who has domain admin rights can NOT send mail through the BB server using their BB. this issue has been pissing me off for months.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007

Once the server is backup, everything should work fine.