Question for those who hung their LCD TVs on the wall

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
How did you run cables between the TV and all the accessories? In my case I have 4 accessories (xbox 360, ps3 and dvr) that will probably be underneath the TV.

Is there a way to do that so the result looks half-way decent?

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Poorly. I've moved since then and haven't taken another picture yet. That picture was in an apartment and I didn't feel like putting any more holes in the wall than necessary. I've got a house now so I intend to run the cables through the wall.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Cut 2 holes in the wall, one behind the TV, the other behind your AVR. You can finish the holes nicely with some boxes at HD or Lowes. Fish the wires down from the top hole to the bottom using a measuring tape (or you could buy a fish tape, but for the short distance a measuring tape will work fine). You can attach the wires to the measuring tape with duct tape. You're all set.......assuming you don't have to cross any studs, if so it's much more complicated than that.

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn
Cut 2 holes in the wall, one behind the TV, the other behind your AVR. You can finish the holes nicely with some boxes at HD or Lowes. Fish the wires down from the top hole to the bottom using a measuring tape (or you could buy a fish tape, but for the short distance a measuring tape will work fine). You can attach the wires to the measuring tape with duct tape. You're all set.......assuming you don't have to cross any studs, if so it's much more complicated than that.

check with your local electrician as it may be against code in your area to run a power cable (or extension cord) through the walls.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I ran mine through the wall. It looks so much better that way. You can just fish the wires up through the wall.

It is more trouble, but it looks so much better.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I hope you guys are installing power outlets behind your TV and not running the power cords through the walls! The latter is not approved by code AND if you have a fire (fault of installation or not) and inspection reveals you have non approved wiring inside the wall your insurance claim will likely be rejected.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Rubycon
I hope you guys are installing power outlets behind your TV and not running the power cords through the walls! The latter is not approved by code AND if you have a fire (fault of installation or not) and inspection reveals you have non approved wiring inside the wall your insurance claim will likely be rejected.

Exactly. Only the data cables should be run inside the wall.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I don't understand the fascination with hanging the tv on the wall. Most people put them way too high up as well.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Exactly. You need to use this (either yourself or through an installer).

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by: sswingle
I don't understand the fascination with hanging the tv on the wall. Most people put them way too high up as well.

Me either, especially when they place a TV stand with their components directly below it.

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: sivart

Me either, especially when they place a TV stand with their components directly below it.

same.
in fact i started a thread about it here.
Text

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
like this

I like the nice clean look of this and I had to actually 'hunt' for the components...sure in another room with an RF remote would be cleaner, but this is really nice.

Mounted a little too high for my liking, but a great setup none-the-less.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: sivart

I've got my Pioneer 60" plasma mounted on the wall just above an audio console. I like the clean look, but more importantly, my center speaker is taller than the TV stand. Mounting on the wall means the speaker doesn't obscure a portion of the bottom of the TV. In addition, I've got a (now) 3 year old son who likes to grab and climb. The TV ain't coming off the wall (mounted to 3 studs), but he'd tip it easily on a stand that just sat on the console.

Pic of my setup.