question for the ladies - with poll

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
if a guy you've known for a while, not repulsive, but not exactly hunky mchunkerson brings you flowers and says he likes you and would like to go out with you, does this make him more attractive or less?

I've asked several of my friends of the feminine persuasion and get conflicting answers ranging from "he's pathetic" to "I'd go for it"

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I suppose this would differ by the person and what standards they adhere to, as well as what self image they hold. The question to ask yourself is what value the girl gains/loses by her reaction to said scenario in your eyes.

AstIsis

Jan 18, 2003
Personality over looks anyday. (Well, as long as he is not some sort of freak.)

Eventually we all succumb to gravity, but hopefully the mind/personality will stand the test of time. :)

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: AstIsis

Eventually we all succumb to gravity, but hopefully the mind/personality will stand the test of time. :)

Yeah, right. If there's one thing I've learned, don't take a woman's word for it. Women like to say something but mean something else. They expect men to figure out what they're thinking. So with that in mind, I don't believe you. You may say Personality over looks, but you'll fall for the first good looking guy that comes along and worry about personality later.
-Lykis 101 listener.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
There are many, many, many more variables to the equation than what you've given.

That's like asking, "if I added 3 lbs of pressure to the O2 tank on my rocket ship, will I be able to make it to the moon?"

But to answer the question you didn't ask: give her the flowers and ask her out! You only live once. And so what if she turns you down, this will be practice for the next girl you ask out.

AstIsis

Jan 18, 2003
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01

Yeah, right. If there's one thing I've learned, don't take a woman's word for it. Women like to say something but mean something else. They expect men to figure out what they're thinking. So with that in mind, I don't believe you. You may say Personality over looks, but you'll fall for the first good looking guy that comes along and worry about personality later.
-Lykis 101 listener.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?!

;)

Seriously, my fiance is not the best looking guy around, nor is he the worst. What made him special was his intelligence, kindness, and sense of humor. Without those things, I would not have given him the time of day.

I can honestly say, when I was in my late teens/early twenties, I tended to date good looking jerks. But I also had no intention of having a long lasting relationship with them.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Hey... back in high school, I asked a girl out to either prom or homecoming (I don't remember which).

She said yes.
Next day, I gave her a dozen flowers with a note saying "I look forward to our date"

The following morning, she told me, "uh, I kinda changed my mind"

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: eakers
i like presents.

depends on the creepiness factor though.

guys who bring you flowers are pretty creepy, especially ugly ones..now if a cute guy brought you flowers out of nowhere, it wouldnt be creepy right.. ? :) cause usually what makes a guy creepy is bein ugly/old.. this is in MY experience..

May 31, 2001

-Lykis 101 listener.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?!

;)

Seriously, my fiance is not the best looking guy around, nor is he the worst. What made him special was his intelligence, kindness, and sense of humor. Without those things, I would not have given him the time of day.

I can honestly say, when I was in my late teens/early twenties, I tended to date good looking jerks. But I also had no intention of having a long lasting relationship with them.

I know I'm not the best looking guy around. :( I am only the second best looking. ;)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

-Lykis 101 listener.

Actually what turns me off most is dudes who whine! lol! :D

SuepaFly

Jun 3, 2001
I think it depends on the person. First of all though, to any girl it would be a major shock unless she already had the same inclination in her head.

This actually happened to my friend. Well, he didn't bring her flowers, but after so many years of friendship he started calling her to hang out more often. Then he started to get more touchy feely, like putting his arm around her and a kiss on the cheek goodbye. It took her a really long time to realize what was going on, but he was persistant and patient (yes, its possible to be both). She eventually realized (after consulting half a dozen people and them telling her she was blind) and was sort of apprehensive to bring it up until she knew what she felt. So she kept hanging out with him and realized she did like him, and started returning the touchy feely stuff. Then he sat her down and they talked about it, now they're going out.

L

Lola

it will make him attractive to the point that it was nice of him to bring you flowers, and in the best case senario that may make the girl realize that she may have feelings for him, but sometimes you cannot push what isnt there. There is a certain type of "chemistry" that happens and sure, they may go out on a few dates, but if nothing is there well then, its best just to stay friends

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
There are many, many, many more variables to the equation than what you've given.

That's like asking, "if I added 3 lbs of pressure to the O2 tank on my rocket ship, will I be able to make it to the moon?"

But to answer the question you didn't ask: give her the flowers and ask her out! You only live once. And so what if she turns you down, this will be practice for the next girl you ask out.

well, I'm not asking if this is the end all be all way into a woman's pants. to take your simile...it's like asking, if I added 3lbs of pressure to my O2 tank, will that help or hurt my chances of hittin the moon.

I too, like pie.

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
this happened to me in highschool and to answer your question, he wasn't "more" or "less" attractive. it didn't make a difference to me; only harder to tell him i wasn't interested in him.