Question for smokers. Do you smoke in your home?

Do you smoke in your house

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So my wife and I are looking at homes in our area and one thing that sticks out is that we can tell when we enter a smokers house. The smell is over powering. We smoke and when we purchased our current home twelve years ago we made a conscious decision not to smoke in it and I am glad we did.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
When I smoked I did, but the bedroom was off limits. The smell when going to bed bothered me for some reason.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
nothing a couple coates of paint can't overcome i believe?
I think it can bleed through on an old house with heavy smokers. It wouldn't affect my decision on purchasing a house, but it could be extra work.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I only really smoke cigars now and I wouldn't smoke those indoors!

That said when I did smoke cigarettes I used to go outside as my wife didn't smoke plus even as a smoker I didn't like the stale smoke smell that lingers.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I smoke the pipe indoors. The aroma is lovely, cigarettes not so much.
Anyway, if you dont smoke in your house, you might as well quit smoking.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Last several years didn't smoke inside. Didn't care for lingering spell plus kidss and pets didnt want to expose to the smoke.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My friend smokes 2-3 hookahs a day in his house and he can't even notice that his house stinks.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Only smoke outside for the last 30 years or so. I hate the smell of smokey rooms and dirty ashtrays..

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm not a smoker, but know a little about your question. My sister's best friend lived in an apartment...so small square footage. Even when no one was actively smoking in that house, everything in the apartment had that stale smoke smell. Stale smoke smells different than regular smoke because ambient humidity changes the smell...it's not pleasant. I had the hots for this girl when I was growing up, but the smoke in her apartment made her clothes smell bad and heavy makeup she wore were deal breakers. (she didn't need the makeup..she was just young and stupid)

Apartments and hotel rooms often don't have the same air circulation a larger house may have. They tend to get that stale smoke smell the worst. I know you CAN cover up the smell with some paints, but I'd probably defer to a smoke cleaning service. If I was buying a house, I'd throw that in the negotiation that the seller would pay a service to remove the smoke smell from the home...they likely would wash the ceiling and walls down better. A coat of a thick paint can do wonders, but it still takes a long time for a house to ventilate enough and if you cover up the smell, you're not really washing the smell out.

My final point comes from my PC days. I used to install ethernet cards for a college campus and I rebuilt PCs in the 90s. You could always tell from the PC who smoked and who didn't ...the smoker's PCs always smelled horrible....like an old pool hall. It's a smell that just doesn't go away easily.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002

Sometimes paint alone won't do it. Ever renovate a home where the owners were smokers? We had to rent an ozone generator to bomb the house for a weekend. And then oil-base prime (odor blocking) every sq ft of drywall and then repaint. Only after these steps and removing all the carpets, curtains, wall paper and junk in the house, did it smell normal. Smoke presence in a home devalues it somewhat when you consider all the work that needs to go into removing it. It gets into everything and sticks around for a long time.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
When I smoked and lived in an apartment that allowed me to smoke indoors (three of the past apartments including the one I'm in now) I didn't. Didn't want he smell indoors. Thankfully the previous occupants of my apartments have been non-smokers too. Now I vape but that smell doesn't linger so I do it indoors.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

It's worse in the fabrics, like sofas, curtains, rugs etc, they trap more smoke than the walls do. It fades over time, a good carpet cleaning, launder the curtains, Febreeze on the furniture and a coat of paint and it's pretty much gone entirely. After I quit smoking I got very sensitive to the smell of smoke and it became obvious how badly my place reeked. It wasn't all that hard to get rid of it.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Yeah you are right, had to get rid of the carpet as well and all the furniture

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I vape and no worries about vaping in the house too. In the days when I still smoked cigarettes, I only smoked in the backyard during the warmer months, and strictly in the garage during the winter.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
After having to spend literal days cleaning & repainting an apartment 11 years ago. Smoking is no long allowed inside any place I live. My husband basically killed himself getting the place smoke odor free, never again.