Question for Muslims

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Donny Baker
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: The Green Bean
Islam is a diverse religion when it comes to faith; ask this question to 50 different people and you will get 50 different answers. Infact, the very basis of God is different within sects. Same is with the concept of heaven etc. Infact, some sects' beleifs are closer to Christianity and Judaism than they are to other sects. Maybe you should read up on books on different muslim philosophies and I'm sure you will be surprised with the depth. Islam of the past where people actually questioned, discussed, debated their beleifs in the open is now over.

Religion now is more a political tool than a faith.

Bolded for truth :thumbsup:

Name ONE time in history it hasn't. Seriously.

What exactly do you mean by that? What are you asking?

wiin

Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
I find it very odd that Muslim beliefs of the afterlife deal with pleasures of the flesh, i.e., food, sex. the Christian belief holds that there is no flesh in the afterlife.

Oh, and no, I am not a Muslim. :D

I find it hard to believe that muslims think that there would be 72 virgins waiting for them in the after life, that it is ok to beat up your women, or kill people who do not want to be muslim.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The Muslims where I work usually laugh whenever the entire "72 virgins in heaven" thing is brought up. Monogamy is taught and expected of most modern Muslims. Having multiple wives seems to be a relic of the past, much like those fringe groups in Utah.

As with any religion, different interpretations abound.

Keep in mind that these guys are electrical/mechanical engineers, not some poor disillusioned youth in Palestine with a bomb strapped to his chest.

Ooooh the engineer types.... Watch out for those. They are the ones who have sophisticated shoe bombs. :laugh: