question for homeowners

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
for some reason, all the doors and my cabinets in the master bedroom only no longer close evenly or line up evenly.

I heard that it was due to the weather, the humidity which caused the wood to expand.

is that true?

if so, will it go back to normal eventually?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
How old is the house? Humidity can cause some swelling but the more likely cause is the house settling as it ages.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
you had a mild earthquake. the house is now lopsided. you need to hire a company to come out and jack up one side of the house.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Linflas
How old is the house? Humidity can cause some swelling but the more likely cause is the house settling as it ages.

the house is still new. it is only 1 year old this year. Is there anything I need to be worried about?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Semidevil
Originally posted by: Linflas

the house is still new. it is only 1 year old this year. Is there anything I need to be worried about?

hmm shouldnt settle that fast but some of the new builds are err well cheap.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Humidity. My counter tops will pull away from the walls in the winter, and then go back to normal in the summer.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If it's only the master, I'd say that is due to some settling.

Could be humidity though. Does it get hot/humid in there? Hows the circulation? Overly insulated in the attic above this area?

mulletgut

Sep 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Semidevil

Sounds as though the master bedroom area of the house has dropped a little.
Are you on a concrete slab? piers? second story?
If you are on a slab and on H class soil (well it's called that here in Australia) which is basically clay, you will notice movement as the clay dries and therefore shrinks as opposed to expands when it gets wet in the wetter months.
Was the house built on land that was filled? As minor subsidance could also be an issue.
It could be anything really, most least likely would be timber expansion due to humidity as that would affect the whole house, not just your bedroom.

Suture

Sep 17, 2003
Some good suggestions from others... but on another note, did you get a home warranty?