Question for current and former waiters and waitresses

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Sphexi
I worked as a cook in a few places over the last few years I was in highschool, never messed with any food. For the most part I made the best food I could, and on the few times I got customers who were just complete and utter aholes, I just gave them small portions that were poorly done, but not messed with.

When I worked at McDonald's though, we used to do some crazy stuff, nothing overly nasty, but we used to keep meat in the heaters for hours past when we should've.

According to frustrateduser, there's something seriously wrong with you or your establishment.

:roll:

You know, even though you were probably still working within the boundaries of your job and what is considered proper service.

It was a small, independant Italian food restaurant. I knew the owner very well, and worked for her for 2 1/2 years. She had absolutely no tolerence for customers who created problems just to try to get free food or a discount, and the food at this place was seriously top-notch. We might've had an off day or two, or run out of an ingredient, but 99% of the time the food was excellent, so when we had someone that just ranted and raged about how horrible a meal was, and demanding not to have to pay (after finishing all of it), we knew we'd be seeing them again. Sure enough, every one of those people came back, usually within a few days, and with friends, and their entire table would get a small, subpar meal. We'd also refuse to comp it, and politely recommend not coming back if they had a problem with the service/food, even though they obviously liked it enough to return.

But it was still cooked properly, we'd just pick the smaller of the steaks, or give them half the gravy we normally would, something like that.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
I worked as a cook in a few places over the last few years I was in highschool, never messed with any food. For the most part I made the best food I could, and on the few times I got customers who were just complete and utter aholes, I just gave them small portions that were poorly done, but not messed with.

When I worked at McDonald's though, we used to do some crazy stuff, nothing overly nasty, but we used to keep meat in the heaters for hours past when we should've.

According to frustrateduser, there's something seriously wrong with you or your establishment.

:roll:

You know, even though you were probably still working within the boundaries of your job and what is considered proper service.

It was a small, independant Italian food restaurant. I knew the owner very well, and worked for her for 2 1/2 years. She had absolutely no tolerence for customers who created problems just to try to get free food or a discount, and the food at this place was seriously top-notch. We might've had an off day or two, or run out of an ingredient, but 99% of the time the food was excellent, so when we had someone that just ranted and raged about how horrible a meal was, and demanding not to have to pay (after finishing all of it), we knew we'd be seeing them again. Sure enough, every one of those people came back, usually within a few days, and with friends, and their entire table would get a small, subpar meal. We'd also refuse to comp it, and politely recommend not coming back if they had a problem with the service/food, even though they obviously liked it enough to return.

But it was still cooked properly, we'd just pick the smaller of the steaks, or give them half the gravy we normally would, something like that.

That's one thing I loved about smaller Italian places. They always respected their waitstaff and knew the respect goes both ways.

huberm

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
when i was in high school i worked at a fast food chain fairly prominent in the midwest. I was helping the cook and he dropped a sandwich on the floor. I bent over to pick it up and when I stood up, he whispered to me "walk to the back and act like you're throwing it away. Disappear around the corner and come back with the sandwich."

to this day i still regret doing it.

w33bo

Jan 4, 2004
i have definately seen the line cooks sneeze on food and put it right on the plate. me, the only way i 'violate' food is by stealing a french fry once in a while, but I would never spit on someone's food, I have, however, touched someone's food if it started slipping off the plate on the way to the table