Question for anyone with the Toshiba laptop with the GeForce 2 GO.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How do you like it? I got a Dell Inspiron 8000 and found out that it is a piece of junk. There are tons of problems with it. Now I am looking at the Toshiba (the new high end one) and I want to find out about any problems BEFORE I buy it. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. Even if you think they are not significant. Thanks for any info.

Hender

Aug 10, 2000
I saw your post on the other thread about sending your Dell Inspiron back. Just out of curiosity, what was the problem with your Inspiron 8000? I had an Inspiron 7000 that I had to send back to Dell 4 times in under 18 months, and I finally get fed up and demanded a replacement before it went back for its 5th time in their service center, and they sent me a refurbished, but beautifully-working Inspiron 8000 with all the trimmings. I think Dell service people are pretty slow when it comes to the work they did (I explained many times what the problem was, and despite replacing components, they always left the one that didn't work), and Dell phone techs are over-worked and forced to know too many systems, but I think their policy of having the laptop picked up and shipping back via Airborne at their expense and returned a few days later can't be beaten.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I8000 problem list:
Infrared + Palm IIIc = Blue Screen
Certain shades of blue cause LCD to flicker (G2GO only)
Sound crackles in some programs
Builtin NIC can never find free memory range
Screen looks bad a any angle
Bad support (they replaced my G2GO with an ATI M4) (they never responded to emails)

There are probably a few things I can't remember.

Xanathar

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
The Blue LCD problem I belive was fixed in a bios update, everything else sounds like software problems with Windows ME...

kingz

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
The Toshiba S403 looks like a winner! check it out:
1GHz PIII
14.1" XGA TFT
256MB SDRAM
nVidia GeForce2 Go 16MB DDR VRAM
30GB HDD
DVD/CD-RW multifunction drive
Integrated V.90/56K 10/100 Ethernet
FireWire i.Link (IEEE 1394) port
5.7lbs, 1.3" thin
$2299, free printer/shipping @ toshiba.com
More info here:
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_30003005.pdf

Also, Sony just released a Tualatin/Radeon notebook. I'll post more info about that in a couple mins