Question Question about Windows 11 64-Pro

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've been having quite a bit of PC issues since I built my new PC back in November but this is my first excursion into Windows 11 so maybe I'm missing something or something actually is going on here. Occasionally the PC won't detect any inputs from my keyboard or mouse and I can't figure out why. When I turn on the PC and it goes to that annoying splash screen before the login, I'll sometimes have to press Space multiple times before it'll go to the login and other times I can press Space once and it'll go straight there. Sometimes when I download a file through Chrome, Firefox, or even Edge, when I click on the bottom and click Show in Folder, nothing will happen and I'll have to do it multiple times before it'll bring up anything. Other times I'll click on an icon but it'll act as if I never clicked. It doesn't feel like lag or a delay, it seems like it's simply not detecting any inputs at all and typing/clicking the mouse has to wake up the PC and then it'll start working right.

I should note that I've tried numerous other keyboard and mice with all the same effect. This has happened on every single install of Windows 11 that I've done since I built the PC and this even occurred when I was using other hardware while I was trying to diagnose a crashing issue I was experiencing. Is this normal for Windows 11? Am I missing some drivers somewhere? An update that didn't get included? I have the Logitech utility downloaded and all my peripherals are detected and work flawlessly with games, but it seems like the first inputs when doing something (starting PC, opening a browser, file exploration, etc.) don't detect the initial inputs.

What am I missing here?

Jul 27, 2020
Check the settings in BIOS for peripheral devices. Maybe some setting is set wrong there. If you have a USB-C port on the mobo, try connecting a USB hub to that and then connect mouse/keyboard to the USB 3.0 ports on that hub.

Reactions: Stg-Flame
Jul 27, 2020
How would this differ from just using the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the motherboard?
Maybe the USB-C is tied to a different chipset. If the issue goes away, could be a chipset driver issue with the Type A USB 3.0 ports (Win10/11 keep installing the wrong drivers in some cases and may replace the correct drivers that you go to the trouble of manually installing).

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Years ago, I had a similar issue after a new reinstall. The KB and mouse would not work if plugged into USB3.0+, they HAD to be plugged into the few USB2.0 ports to work, and then once Winblows finished installing, then they'd work in any of the other ports.

This could very well be the specific system I had built and was using, but thought I'd mention it just in case. You've had it installed for a few months though, so I'm sure there's something else going on here.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Years ago, I had a similar issue after a new reinstall. The KB and mouse would not work if plugged into USB3.0+, they HAD to be plugged into the few USB2.0 ports to work, and then once Winblows finished installing, then they'd work in any of the other ports.

This could very well be the specific system I had built and was using, but thought I'd mention it just in case. You've had it installed for a few months though, so I'm sure there's something else going on here.

I had issues with my board not recognizing my keyboard/mouse at boot/BIOS if it was plugged into the USB 3.2 ports. (Mouse plugs into a USB port on the keyboard) Plug it into one of the USB3.0 ports...all fine.

Reactions: Pohemi

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Could this have to do with legacy BIOS compatibility? Its called CSM on many motherboards. I didn't have the exact same problem you are describing, but when I converted a Windows 10 install on a MBR partition to a GPT partition, upon reboot it A) took forever to boot and B) any application loading or file explorer navigation took significantly longer than usual. Anything that interacted with the disk took much longer. I found that disabling legacy BIOS compatibility (CSM) resolved this problem.

I am pretty sure Windows 11 only does GPT partitions for installs.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

The peripherals are quite old since they're still the original ones from my last build from 2009ish so I'll try different USB ports next time I get some days off. Also, between November and now I've reinstalled the OS several times while trying to narrow down a previous crashing issue I was experiencing and I can't honestly remember if I was experiencing this issue on the first install or not. Several things have been different with each install - all minor things but still things that have been different each time.

BIOS may have the option to set certain USB 3.0 ports to work in legacy mode or designate them specifically for KB/mouse use.
I'll look into this.

Could this have to do with legacy BIOS compatibility? Its called CSM on many motherboards.
Not sure what this means but I'll research it more and look into this as well.

spectrarag

Jan 31, 2023
Don't you think it is the drivers problem that causes issues with your mouse and keyboard? Try to upgrade the drivers if newer versions available from the manufacturers.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I reinstalled the OS again and I'm not experiencing this issue again.

I've never encountered this many problems with a build before this latest one. It's been one mystery and issue after another.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've been having quite a bit of PC issues since I built my new PC back in November but this is my first excursion into Windows 11 so maybe I'm missing something or something actually is going on here. Occasionally the PC won't detect any inputs from my keyboard or mouse and I can't figure out why. When I turn on the PC and it goes to that annoying splash screen before the login, I'll sometimes have to press Space multiple times before it'll go to the login and other times I can press Space once and it'll go straight there.

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is a Win10 and Win11 issue: Ideally, PC boots up, welcome screen with time/date and pretty picture appears, user clicks/keypresses to make the login page appear. Sometimes though, when the click/keypress occurs, it either does nothing or the time/date temporarily disappears then reappears, then user clicks/keypresses again then the login box appears. I suspect it's when the user first clicks/keypresses "too soon".

---

Keyboard / mouse and BIOS USB legacy mode - AFAIK the only purpose of this option is to provide that input functionality before the OS has booted. For example, one can have a situation where a USB keyboard works in Windows but not in the BIOS because the legacy mode is disabled.